Pretty Lucky

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
This evening we went to eat at a local Mexican food restaurant with my parents. The parking is kind of tight so a lot of people park at a bank bank across the street. We finished up and were crossing the street. As we hit the grass on the otger side I see a small Eye Brand knife in the grass just like my son has.

I grab it, hand it to him and ask if he dropped his knife going in.

He had a funny look on his face as he opens the blade up. The blade was starting to get a little light rust on it. So then I'm confused and ask if it's his or some one else's. He fesses up he lost it last weekend while we were hunting but didn't know where.

Basicay, we ate there Saturday night with some friends after hunting and it must have fell out. Today, almost a week later, we randomly find it again. That pretty crazy considering how many people have walked right over it.

Funny story, took my brother and my nephew to a local trade day several years ago . As we were walking from the parking lot to the vendors I saw my young nephew reach down and pick up something off the ground. He immediately covered it up , looked around like he was afraid he was in trouble. I asked him what he had found and with a whisper . Something bad I think , he said . Show it to me thinking he had found who knows what . It was a Case pocket knife ! I assured him it was ok and he could keep it . Being a city boy from Rockville Maryland he thought it was illegal to have a knife .

Several months ago I lost a small Buck three blade knife that my wife gave me for Christmas 15-20 years ago. When I noticed it wasn't in my pocket I looked in all the normal places; all my work jeans, my dress jeans, the washing machine and dryer, in my shop (I never used it there but just maybe..), etc. I also carry a larger clip-on folding knife that I usually use when I need a knife. I kind of wrote it off as lost.

The other day I came out the back door, crossed the patio and instead of using the sidewalk I veered into the grass. I hadn't gone 15 feet before I looked down and spotted something in the grass. I reached down and picked up my pocket knife. I opened it to inspect it and it worked. I was pretty happy. I guess I took the shortcut before and also reached into my pocket for keys or something and it fell out.

I cleaned it, ran it through the dishwasher, and oiled the handle with mineral oil to rejuvenate it. It is back in my pocket but know when I dig into my pocket for keys or something I am a bit more careful because next time it may really be gone forever.

Lucky me.

I got my first pair of glasses 3 years ago, and I was hunting in Montana. I shot a buck and they got all steamed up so I set them on a log. When I got back to the truck I realized I didn't have my glasses, no way was I going back up that hill 2 miles. 364 days later when I returned to Montana I went back and got them, something had chewed on the ear piece!🤣🤣🤓

When I was 13, my younger brother and best friend went on an overnight hiking adventure. It included camping on the only private land between our place and forest service, then continuing on to the top of Pilot Mountain the next morning.

My dad a rifle scope, but no rifle to put it on. He let me borrow it so we could use it as a "spotting scope" while sitting on the rock bluffs on Pilot. When we arrived on top, it wasn't in my backpack, so I assumed it was still laying on my bed at home.

Over that fall and winter we tried to retrace our steps in search of the scope. When I was about 25yo my dad finally got a rifle to mount a scope on. I bought him a scope for his birthday.

When I was 26yo, I bought that only private land that we'd camped on. It was a small bluff right between where two small creeks joined. It looked so different than I remembered, but that had to be it. We took some rakes to prep it for our own camp out. Me and my young boys found the scope under several inches of matted leaves.

It was fogged and corroded, useless, but still a good memory I had never considered being able to share with my kids.