I'm out!

Help Support CattleToday:

Todd 02":2wqzd5n5 said:
Hired a crew to come haul my herd off to the sale this morning. Things are bad here in Texas this year and I just couldn't keep going any longer. It was a tough decision, but the best one I could make for my wife and I - and for the cattle. $100 a day to hay 'em was just too much.

When it rains again, we'll buy back in. I've learned a lot in the last 6 1/2 years and I don't intend to let that go to waste. I'm already making plans for the future. Until then, we'll put the money in safe keeping and work on pasture improvement and equipment.

Best wishes to those of you who decide to keep going.

if your interested in leasing out your place in dickens co. i'd be interested

My pastures have some cracks so big I'm getting worried that a cow is going to step in one and break its leg. The tropical disturbance currently in the gulf is going to curve over towards Louisiana/Alabama. Still no rain in sight for most of Texas.

Ruark":3n5fdvfa said:
My pastures have some cracks so big I'm getting worried that a cow is going to step in one and break its leg. The tropical disturbance currently in the gulf is going to curve over towards Louisiana/Alabama. Still no rain in sight for most of Texas.

I didn't know the sand hills of the piney woods could crack, I can't imagine out in your country. We have 60% chance Sat through Monday. I will believe when it start's falling.

What can you do to improve pasture during this drought? About the only thing I can think of is adding organic matter. But it will also just sit there until it gets some moisture.
Myself, I'm still working on poisoning huisache.

Caustic Burno":1vz44x2i said:
papavillars":1vz44x2i said:
Todd, which sale barn did you use to sell your cows? Good luck, i sold down to eight head.

CB, how expensive were your new purchases? Sounds like a good mix.

They were 600 a piece I just bought two wanted more. I was hauling for a neighbor, they were headed for the salebarn. He just couldn't hold on to them and I just couldn't see putting more on my place. Neighbor has been running my Hereford bulls for 15 years on 1/2 Hereford 1/4 Char 1/4 Brimmer. When I went to drop off the new young man he bought and load what he wanted to go to the salebarn we exchanged checks. Since I sold the last three young bulls in the lot figured I could add a couple of girls.

CB, how has the drought affected prices for the bulls? Cusrious as to what they are going for there at what age?

Steers average 403 pounds 1.39 per . Heifers average weight 391 1.18 per.. I'm gonna haul about 15 more calves and 10 cows next week .

Steers average 403 pounds 1.39 per . Heifers average weight 391 1.18 per.

A $21 cwt spread :shock:. Smart money on the feeder heifers at that auction...

tom4018":vw2dx9mm said:
Caustic Burno":vw2dx9mm said:
papavillars":vw2dx9mm said:
Todd, which sale barn did you use to sell your cows? Good luck, i sold down to eight head.

CB, how expensive were your new purchases? Sounds like a good mix.

They were 600 a piece I just bought two wanted more. I was hauling for a neighbor, they were headed for the salebarn. He just couldn't hold on to them and I just couldn't see putting more on my place. Neighbor has been running my Hereford bulls for 15 years on 1/2 Hereford 1/4 Char 1/4 Brimmer. When I went to drop off the new young man he bought and load what he wanted to go to the salebarn we exchanged checks. Since I sold the last three young bulls in the lot figured I could add a couple of girls.

CB, how has the drought affected prices for the bulls? Cusrious as to what they are going for there at what age?

I got 1200 at six months old on mine and had no trouble selling them. I paid a 1000 for the Angus in the pasture at eight months.

Sorry to hear about that Todd, but it sounds like you made a prudent decision that will allow you to stay in the game when the rain comes again(it will).

Perhaps you can take your sale proceeds and purchase some silver to help you: 1) save for a future cattle purchase and 2) help preserve your wealth due to a declining dollar.

Good Luck,

bart.

Perhaps you can take your sale proceeds and purchase some silver to help you: 1) save for a future cattle purchase and 2) help preserve your wealth due to a declining dollar.

Good Luck,

bart.[/quote]

I believe I would take my proceeds and put them in a mason jar buried out in the yard.

sometimes its just better to make the hard choice to sell out.sorry that its 1 you had to make.

Well, I got the check today. About what I expected, but not quite what I would have hoped for selling 31 head. To preface this, my momma cows were nothing but hide and bones with 8 out of 10 being 8 years and older. The younger heifers and calves were a bit better looking, but will certainly be stunted. Any good buyer worth his salt will know that.

Here's how they paid out:

1 cow 990 lbs $50.00 $495.00
5 cow 4770 lbs $35.50 $1693.35
1 cow 755 lbs $65.00 $490.75
2 cow 1810 lbs $33.00 $597.30
1 cow 1005 lbs $44.00 $442.20
1 heifer 85 lbs $95.00 $95.00
1 steer 180 lbs $265.00 $265.00
3 steer 795 lbs $150.00 $1192.50
2 heifer 485 lbs $135.00 $654.75
2 heifer 895 lbs $110.00 $984.50
4 heifer 1285 lbs $122.50 $1574.13
6 heifer 3655 lbs $116.00 $4239.80
1 bull 460 lbs $103.00 $473.00
1 heifer 200 lbs $137.50 $275.00

GROSS: $13,473.08

NET: $12,475.31

I usually think cattle are worth, on average, $500 a head. At least that's what I use in round numbers to do my estimating. I had a few that weren't much more than bottle calves that I knew would go for less. I'd hoped for about $15,000 gross and came up a bit short. Not too bad for how they looked.

I'm only 31, but this is the first time since I was 16 that I haven't owned any cattle. It's pretty surreal.

The things we have done to get through a drought.

New dam put in, it only fills when we flood, but it holds a lot of water when it does, and can be filled from the bore.

New bore that a diviner found where to put down. He put it where two streams cross. In the drought that people had bores drying up, ours kept going.

Bought a round baler and kept the round bales. That way we have at least feed and water to keep them alive until the next time it rains.

Put a new submersible pump down to the bore so next winter we will plant oats to graze them on. We couldn't this year as we were under water and couldn't plough and plant.

Fo us the flood has been worse than the drought. Rain for 3 months. Pulled down every fence over and over again. Nowhere for them to graze. Unable to plant oats. We couldn't get the cattle off the property as we couldn't get the truck out the driveway. But at least with the round bales we were able to keep the herd alive.

todd you got a real good price for your cattle.enough money to buy some cattle back when the drought is over.sounds like most all of your cows went to the packers.

Latest posts