I'm cheap!

Help Support CattleToday:

Workinonit Farm":q2tbhguv said:
$3.50....?? Where we are its 4 bucks a box! Any time we see those kids set up anywhere....its $4.00. Last year we bought a bunch, I think it was 3 or 3.25. This year we've only gotten 2 boxes.

Thin Mints, Peanut Butter....our 1st choices, then the Caramel Delites!!

Katherine

There ya go....................making me hungry again! I'm with bhb, I'd rather just give them the money than paying more than the cookie is really worth.

cow pollinater":2tq70kfw said:
I'm kind of a curmudgeon on both the cookies and the popcorn. My wife has been in leadership with both groups in our area and most of it goes to paying wages to employees at boy/girl scout headquarters and yet the parent volunteers constantly had to step in and do the employee jobs for them. We still have to pay the full cost of just about everything both kids do.
That is WAY too bad, and not at all typical! I was the leader of both of my daughters troupes, and the girl scout cookie money paid for, among other things, field trips, membership dues and badges. We were able to do wonderful things that money, and very much appreciated the people who bought from the girls.

angie":2vpfatm9 said:
That is WAY too bad, and not at all typical! I was the leader of both of my daughters troupes, and the girl scout cookie money paid for, among other things, field trips, membership dues and badges. We were able to do wonderful things that money, and very much appreciated the people who bought from the girls.

I'm a sucker for the young ladies selling their cookies and the boys selling the popcorn, not to mention the band members, 4-H, FFA and all the others. I think I have about 20 years of Progressive Farmer bought and paid for. :lol2: Our church sponsors the local girls scout and the boy scouts but we always give a donation direct to each hoping they use it wisely.

Yes, the cookies are oeverpriced, but it really was never about getting a gread deal on cookies anyway. If everyone just donates the $$, the girlscout doesn't "learn" that she got that $$ by working for it--selling a product--even if it is just a charity. If you just donate, without taking the product, it does increase the total amt the scouts get (assuming they go ahead and sell the box you passed up--or maybe the salesgirl eats that box) but she misses out on having to account for the box of cookies, and making sure the guy/girl at the door she knocked on got their correct change etc. It's not just about the $$--I always figured it helped build a bit of character etc too. But, maybe I'm just out of touch with things today. I don't mind donating and helping out, but to me, youngus got to start early learning. "Yep, here's your $4 or $8 or $20 or whatever, but there ain't no free rides--hand over dem cookies."
:2cents:

backhoeboogie":358whyx2 said:
Bigfoot":358whyx2 said:
Bare in mind it's a fundraiser.

If they get 50 cents for every box, I'd rather give them money directly versus padding some fat cat's wallet.
I agree with you 100% backhoeboogie, but still I buy into my daughters fundraisers just so she's not dissapointed. It's really hard to explain this to a child, and I feel like the fund raising companies take full advantage of this.

Latest posts