I'm buying a new hay farm, good idea?

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cowman":21flb411 said:
farmwriter":21flb411 said:
I wish I could remember where, but didn't some egg-head not all that long ago do the math on what it takes to cut hay? Seems like I remember they concluded you can't make the equpiment pay for itself unless you're baling more than 400 acres.
I am not an egg head and I don't really care to be called one
I guess that would be no different than me calling you a horses ass
just a different animal and a different part of the anatomy

and No it wasn't 400 acres it was 400 bales
it was you basically had to use 400 bales before you could justify the cost of raising your own hay

I did not think you had met each other but evidently you have if she knows you are an egg-headed horses ass. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

kenny thomas":2uafwpgm said:
Angus Cowman":2uafwpgm said:
farmwriter":2uafwpgm said:
I wish I could remember where, but didn't some egg-head not all that long ago do the math on what it takes to cut hay? Seems like I remember they concluded you can't make the equpiment pay for itself unless you're baling more than 400 acres.
I am not an egg head and I don't really care to be called one
I guess that would be no different than me calling you a horses ass
just a different animal and a different part of the anatomy

and No it wasn't 400 acres it was 400 bales
it was you basically had to use 400 bales before you could justify the cost of raising your own hay

I did not think you had met each other but evidently you have if she knows you are an egg-headed horses ass. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
she actually sent me a PM saying that she was sorry because she had you and I confused :cowboy:

You should look at the land as an investment . Even if you break even on the hay . Your still building equity in the land . What size bales are you talking about ? Here in Texas 60 acres of Bermuda grass will produce 400 rolls a cutting .3 times a year if fertilizer is applied after each cutting . And we get anywhere from 40 to 50 a roll for it if there are no weeds . If u plan it right you can still make money on the hay . But it needs to be put in the barn . And sold in December to march .

The way I see it there are two kinds of men. One will set behind a desk in the city for thirty years and invest his money in stocks and bonds with the dream of some day selling everything and buying some land in the country to retire on. The other will buy in some land in the country, invest thirty years of his life paying for it, with the dream of someday selling it, and retiring to the city. I guess its really what do you want to do for the next thirty years that is the answer to your question.

dimestorecowboy":10imer31 said:
You should look at the land as an investment . Even if you break even on the hay . Your still building equity in the land . What size bales are you talking about ? Here in Texas 60 acres of Bermuda grass will produce 400 rolls a cutting .3 times a year if fertilizer is applied after each cutting . And we get anywhere from 40 to 50 a roll for it if there are no weeds . If u plan it right you can still make money on the hay . But it needs to be put in the barn . And sold in December to march .

You must have some exceptional land. Most of ET will run about 3 big rolls per acre. And 9% protein is about as good as it gets.

When the rain cooperates I can roll 7 to 8 4x5 rolls of coastal per acre the tifton 85 is 8 to 9 rolls per acre . Tested my coastal this past year at 11.2 percent protein . But I put out fertilizer 3 times a year not just the first cutting .

real estate is always a good investment.

how you chose to use the real estate is mostly just personal preference and ratioanlizing.

I wish i could buy land for less than 2000 bucks an acre. 10 and 12 grand around here but I am too old to sell the little bit I have and move to a bigger place somewhere else. got this paid for and it should support my wife after my funeral.

TexasBred":1i6ajb3q said:
Best I can tell using your own figures you and dad will be making $1,500 each. That's sort of like the old boy telling another about the price of eggs....not worth the wear and tear on the hen's ass. My :2cents:

TB.....

I got to steal this...... :cowboy:

dimestorecowboy":3ehkznqo said:
When the rain cooperates I can roll 7 to 8 4x5 rolls of coastal per acre the tifton 85 is 8 to 9 rolls per acre . Tested my coastal this past year at 11.2 percent protein . But I put out fertilizer 3 times a year not just the first cutting .

4x5 explains it.

A hay farm is only a good idea if you can convert it into something more useful.
I converted a hay farm into pasture. CRP neighbors think I am nuts. :nod:
My mistake was I started an aggressive renovation plan and then the cost of inputs went way up. :(
Sell the tractor and plant some fence posts. :cboy:

TexasBred":1h1jrp4k said:
dimestorecowboy":1h1jrp4k said:

4x5 explains it.
Either way at 40 dollars a roll he can make money .....

dimestorecowboy":19zlkfip said:
TexasBred":19zlkfip said:
dimestorecowboy":19zlkfip said:

4x5 explains it.
Either way at 40 dollars a roll he can make money .....

duhhhhhh.....of course he would selling by the bale and $40 a roll...why else would you ant a 4x5 baler other than maybe because you have a small tractor....I guess they work for some folks tho...but how about if he sells hay by the ton??

TB i hate to burst your bubble,but i dont know a custom baler that runs a big round baler.they all have 4by 5 or 4 by 6 balers.because they know if a meadow will make 100 5 by 6 1600 lb bales,that itll make 135 4 by 6 bales,an 160 4 by 5 bales.an thats $2500 for the big bales $3375 for 4 by 6 bales an $4000 for 4 by 5 bales.now i based it on $25 a bale for cutting raking an baling straight accross the board.

Y would he sell it by the ton? By the bale he can make more . Also if its by the ton it still has to be weighed . Right . I wouldn't but by the ton . With out seeing a weigh ticket on it . U just like getting into pissing matches on the computer don't u ?

dimestorecowboy":8qm6gijb said:
Y would he sell it by the ton? By the bale he can make more . Also if its by the ton it still has to be weighed . Right . I wouldn't but by the ton . With out seeing a weigh ticket on it . U just like getting into be nice matches on the computer don't u ?

Ok cowboy don't get your drawers in a wad...I've bought hay by the ton for years...as simple as weighing empty, loading and weighing again loaded. It's not unusual at all.

bigbull338":194n1675 said:
TB i hate to burst your bubble,but i dont know a custom baler that runs a big round baler.they all have 4by 5 or 4 by 6 balers.because they know if a meadow will make 100 5 by 6 1600 lb bales,that itll make 135 4 by 6 bales,an 160 4 by 5 bales.an thats $2500 for the big bales $3375 for 4 by 6 bales an $4000 for 4 by 5 bales.now i based it on $25 a bale for cutting raking an baling straight accross the board.

BB no damage to "my bubble"...I don't doubt what you say at all..You just confirmed what I was saying....small bales....more money for the custom baler IF he's charging by the bale. A guy that cuts and sells his own hay will also make more money with the small bales. But I'm a buyer...I prefer the large bales but buy by the ton.

TexasBred":3lnydnew said:
dimestorecowboy":3lnydnew said:
Y would he sell it by the ton? By the bale he can make more . Also if its by the ton it still has to be weighed . Right . I wouldn't but by the ton . With out seeing a weigh ticket on it . U just like getting into be nice matches on the computer don't u ?

Ok cowboy don't get your drawers in a wad...I've bought hay by the ton for years...as simple as weighing empty, loading and weighing again loaded. It's not unusual at all.

I know quite a few that buy it by the ton as well.

Latest posts