I'm Almost Afraid To Ask......

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
But here goes.
When you cross Angus with Piedmontese, what color does it produce. Have you bred the (heifer) calf from the cross to another Angus bull?
I wonder if the black gene ever comes through after breeding the heifer of each cross to an Angus bull, or is the color gene of the Piedmontese too dominant?
Chuckie

topsquar, if you have such a cross, please post a picture. I would love to see a black cow with the muscling.
Even though I raise Angus, I still have Piedmontese in the freezer and can't say that I have eaten better. The cattle look like walking sculptures.
Chuckie

For some reason, I thought the Piedmontese would carry a gene much like Charolais for color. It would take a long time to get black back.
We have a Charolais heifer that was from a Charolais cow, and an Angus Bull. She is a dingy white, with skin a little darker than than other Charolais. She was bred to an Angus bull, and her calf this time seems to have darker skin, white coat, but with a tinge of gray.
Chuckie

topsquar":5qocdqlh said:
Piedmontese x Angus = black F1 , black calf
Providing your Angus is reg Black Angus with no red carrier
pied/Angus x Angus = black F2 black calf 7/8 Angus
again, providing your Angus is black with no red carrier. Calf will be 3/4 Angus. It will be one more cross of 3/4 Angus with 100% Angus to get to 7/8 Angus
[/b]

Wait!! I have just found the answers to my question. After sitting in front of my extremely slow dial up service, I found this from last year. I wonder if Guest25 is still around. When we had Piedmontese, an exisiting herd was bought. No Angus, black cattle, or Herefords in the group. Several cross bred cows in there too.

http://cattletoday.com/forum/viewto...0&postorder=asc&highlight=piedmontese&start=0

Slow dial up takes the joy out of research.
Chuckie

Our cows when bred to our pied bull would always throgh calves that pretty much resembled the cow. Sometimes a little lighter coloured but with the same markings.