IH 584 tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

thebabybrahma

Reaction score
Does anyone out there have one of these tractors from the early 1980's? if so, is it a workhorse or a slouch? I am looking to buy a 45-60 HP tractor and have seen some of these I like, just doin' some hunting for info. thanks

Problem I have with them is they are too little for the big jobs and too big for the little jobs.

It won't run the baler cause it gets pushed off the hillside. It won't take a bale up the hill forward cause the front end rears up. It uses too much fuel to set and idle on the dryer or blower all day.
And the wide front end is usless to rake hay with.
Didn't work too well here.

We had a 684 up until about 4 months ago. It was pretty fuel efficient, and was a decent loader tractor except it needed extra weight in the rear end. We had 600lbs of wheel weights on it at all times, and when it was muddy in the winter you had to use the 3 point spear to move bales around, if you put a bale on the loader and not the 3 point, you better not be planning on going too far, and it better be all down hill. :D

Pulled a 9 ft haybine, and a 10 ft brush hog just fine. Of course a 584 would be 7-9 hp smaller.

Never had any mechanical problems with it. Replaced the water pump, had to fix a front wheel one time, but that was my brothers fault, as he didn't get the parking break set good, and it ran off the hill with a bale on the front end. For some reason it was hard to bleed the injectors on it too. Learned that the hard way the first couple times we ran it out or changed filters. Always kept it half full or more after that.

I assume the 584 you are looking at is a diesel? I'm not sure if they even made the 584 in gas.

Hi i have got an international 585 XL and have been rely happy with it i use it on some rely steep stuff and have found it to be ok. It is strait forward to work on and you can still get all the parts for it and the case dellers is Australia have been rely good with enfo on it.

we have a 784, works good for haying. always keep a quarter tank of fuel in it, or it plugs or starts to miss.

I also have a IHC 784, not a bad tractor. I second what the other guy said about keeping a decent amount of fuel in it. Although the tank is not empty if it gets below about 1/4 tank is starts to run funny. I think this is because on level ground the fuel inlet for the fuel filter is higher than the bottom of the fuel tank and there is no pump between the tank and filter. One gripe I have about the 784, and I assume 684 or 584, is the front end power stearing set-up. Whoever designed that should be shot. But, the newer model versions of the Case/IH tractor had the same set-up, very poor design if you ask me. Another gripe is the shifter on the transmission but I understand that they changed the design in later years. Not a bad tractor, all depends on what you have to pay for it. Mine has only single hyd outlet, would much prefer a double. You can add a spool of course, but that is an added cost.

If anyone ever comes up with a solution for the problem other than running a 1/4 tank all of time then I will gladly pay them for a solution. It is a real pain especially when you are down to an acre left to bal and on a quarter of a tank.

I just found this website so ya'll haven't heard from me before ... but I have cured this in an industrial setting a bunch of times.

Look up by bio and E-Mail me if this is still a problem. I can send you a .xls sketch if need be.

Chetski