If You're Tired of Cattle.....

Help Support CattleToday:

The pyramid is tumbling down. Someone was running an ad all over Ohio last year. It was always the same thing. "ACT NOW! They're going to the sale barn next Wed……. " They ran that ad on CL for months. Doubt they ever sold them, they too wanted way more than any sane person would pay.

I'm never tired of cattle .....

Guy I get hay and straw from has about 20 alpacas. I guess from what he tells me the newborns have a pretty darn low survival rate?? (Compared to cattle, horses, etc.?)

greybeard":zp67oln9 said:
Ahhhh--North Zulch. Perfect Alpaca country. Anyone tried 'em?
What does Alpaca taste like?

I ate alpaca at a restaurant once in South America. It was actually really good. It was a little leaner than beef, but really flavorful and tender. I'll stick with cattle though. Alpacas look like they are high maintenance.

One in my area of Middle GA tried alpacas, but did not keep them long.

ANAZAZI":cy607owc said:
Alpaca tastes much like deer. And camels do not spit.
We must have different camels. I was helping a guy with some repairs and he had a camel that spit. Didn;t spit at the owner but he sure didn;t like me.

ANAZAZI":pabrmp3c said:
Alpaca tastes much like deer. And camels do not spit.

I have been around a couple of camels that, indeed, spit.

They are ungulates, as are llamas and alpacas. They all ahve the ability and, often, the propensity to spit.

I have yet to see a bactrian camel spit, I just realized you guys often mean dromedary when saying camel.

ANAZAZI":6ztndueo said:
I have yet to see a bactrian camel spit, I just realized you guys often mean dromedary when saying camel.
Looke it up:
Bactrian Camels and Spitting

"Spitting" isn't really the appropriate term to use when describing the actions of camels. A more suitable term is "regurgitation." Saliva isn't what's coming out of their mouths, after all -- it's all of the food lingering inside of the animal's stomach, also known as "cud." Essentially, it's vomit -- although there may be small amounts of saliva along with the rest of the regurgitated matter, too.

There's an alpaca farm just west of here in NC. They shear them for the wool. A friend who helps there part time says they spit. Apparently you can hear a gurgle, sorta like clearing your throat, right before they spit. Some of them like to bite too.

Gateboy":3pd4lxqr said:
Some of them like to bite too.

And kick. Llamas will kick as well. If given the choice, though, I'd rather be kicked by a llama/alpaca/camel(dromedary or bactrian) than a horse or a cow any day! having had the pleasure of being kicked by many type of creatures, I ahve found that I prefer a kick from a non-hooved animal. 8)

Apparently you can hear a gurgle, sorta like clearing your throat, right before they spit. Some of them like to bite too.[/quote]. Sounds like some of the dam old men around the courthouse square...,

Latest posts