If you had to start over

Help Support CattleToday:

Thinking about what I would do if I were 18 again. I wouldn't listen to the guys who said you can't make it ranching. I look back now and see several guys I went to college with who made it. They started out with way less than I did. They worked hard at making a dream work and it did for them.

hurleyjd said:
herofan said:
I live my teaching job and can't actually doing anything else in the world of punching a clock. If I could go back to age 18, I honestly believe I would have went to Nashville and tried the music business.

I guess most feel they have wild ideas when young and then realize those ideas were far fetched as they mature. I'm the opposite. I thought being someone in show business was as far above someone like me as the moon is the earth. At age 51, however, I realize I could have made it; it's all about putting in the work. It's
not as if Johnny Cash or Merle Haggard were born with any advantages.

I actually do have singing talent. I know I could have made it
You are not to old to give it a try go for it.

I actually sing locally with some guys whenever we get a call, but Nashville probably doesn't need too many 51 year old newbies.

herofan said:
hurleyjd said:
herofan said:
I live my teaching job and can't actually doing anything else in the world of punching a clock. If I could go back to age 18, I honestly believe I would have went to Nashville and tried the music business.

I guess most feel they have wild ideas when young and then realize those ideas were far fetched as they mature. I'm the opposite. I thought being someone in show business was as far above someone like me as the moon is the earth. At age 51, however, I realize I could have made it; it's all about putting in the work. It's

I actually sing locally with some guys whenever we get a call, but Nashville probably doesn't need too many 51 year old newbies.

Not a lot of callers for gospel quartets either.

Oddly enough, a friend of mine (age 49) walked off his job three weeks ago, to try and make it in Nashville. For now, he is playing open mic nights.

herofan said:
hurleyjd said:
herofan said:

Make a Youtube video of your group singing and see if you get any exposure.

pricefarm said:
shaz said:
same career but would have started earlier

And what is your career?

I'm the test engineer at an automotive electronics plant. I write a lot of code and do some system integration but lots of times I'm a glorified maintenance guy. My background is in electronics.

Bestoutwest said:
herofan said:

I almost did the same at 18. I was pretty close to packing up my drums and heading out, but I didn't know a soul there and I knew that trying to head down there with no contacts was a bad way to blow through money. My dad went to NYC to do the pro musician thing and had a fairly large contact taking him around and it took 18 months to get a decent gig. Looking back I'm pretty glad I didn't do it. Not sure I would have made it to 21.

I played guitar in a heavy metal band from 87 til 96 and we were based in Huntsville but played Nashville and Murfreesboro some. Have to admit those were wasted years but running sound equipment taught me that technical people were important so I went back to school.

Caustic Burno said:
herofan said:
hurleyjd said:

True. We sing classic country and rock. I don't think I could sing the new country style with my heart in it. I have the voice, but probably wouldn't fit too well in the modern music scene. If I'd went in the late 80s, that might have been a different story.

herofan said:
Caustic Burno said:
herofan said:

True. We sing classic country and rock. I don't think I could sing the new country style with my heart in it. I have the voice, but probably wouldn't fit too well in the modern music scene. If I'd went in the late 80s, that might have been a different story.
Here is a website with suggestions for producing a you tube video. Now go for it. But first check and see if you may have to pay a royalty to the writer of the song most songs may be in the public domain by now. You might be surprised that some folks like to hear the song lyrics without the musicians drowning them out. Let us know when you do this so we can listen and watch.

herofan said:
Caustic Burno said:
herofan said:

Here is a website with suggestions for producing a you tube video. Now go for it. But first check and see if you may have to pay a royalty to the writer of the song most songs may be in the public domain by now. You might be surprised that some folks like to hear the song lyrics without the musicians drowning them out. Let us know when you do this so we can listen and watch.

jltrent said:
If I could start over again, I would start a company were people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online and name it Amazonian....starting sometime in the early to mid 80s when AL Gore first discovered the internet. I could have gazillion quadrupled my money.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

I am a teacher, and I really love what I do. I enjoy working with students and helping them grow and mature. The only thing I would change is how I went about getting my Master's degree. I have a MSE that I will most likely never use. If I could do it over, I would have gotten a degree in counseling instead of administration. I have no desire to be a principal now that I am certified to be one.

cfpinz said:
jltrent said:
If I could start over again, I would start a company were people can come to find and discover anything they might want to buy online and name it Amazonian....starting sometime in the early to mid 80s when AL Gore first discovered the internet. I could have gazillion quadrupled my money.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Yep and if he had invested $10000 in either Amazon or Walmart when they issued their IPO he could really afford a herd of cows and everything that goes with it not saying that he cannot afford that now.. But ALAS if we could see the future and not what we could have done then we could be way ahead of the game. Any way nothing ventured nothing gained.

Nothing I can think of that I would change. Took every business course available to me in high school. Had a job before graduation at age of 17. Specialized in bookkeeping/accounting. MOVED OUT OF THE CITY (Rhode Island) to Kansas. All uphill from there.
Living the dream now. Only thing different for "right now" would be to still have my husband to share the fun I'm having and enjoying our farm.

Dave said:
Thinking about what I would do if I were 18 again. I wouldn't listen to the guys who said you can't make it ranching. I look back now and see several guys I went to college with who made it. They started out with way less than I did. They worked hard at making a dream work and it did for them.

Worked here, I was fortunate enough to find a wife with the same vision and willingness to sacrifice as me. We might make the last payment yet!

gcreekrch said:
Dave said:

Worked here, I was fortunate enough to find a wife with the same vision and willingness to sacrifice as me. We might make the last payment yet!

As Chris LaDoux said in a song. "If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have drove so slow."

Everyone I know who made it had the great wife thing going for them.

[/quote]

One of the most underrated aspects of overall success in life.(success not just being financial of course).
When I was a very young man, I was given a piece of advice about choosing a wife from an elderly gentleman I had great respect for: "choose wisely, because no decision in your life will impact your overall happiness more than this single decision."
Have had to make that decision twice now and hit a homerun both times. I am a happy man.

I'm in a similar position now. I worked my way up in a company then the company went down hill along with moving its operations to West Texas. I took advantage of a severance package that was offered and packed my bags. Now I need to figure out what my second act will be. I could easily go back to what I was doing but for another company but I'm trying to take this opportunity to go a different route. After climbing the ladder I realized it wasnt all it was cut out to be. I have no regrets because it put me in a great position in life but I'm ready for some thing new.

Dave said:
gcreekrch said:
Dave said:

As Chris LaDoux said in a song. "If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have drove so slow."

Everyone I know who made it had the great wife thing going for them.
If not one that shares and takes an active part in your endeavors, at least one that allows for and supports them. Works both ways tho.

Latest posts