If you had a cow in standing heat would you AI that PM.

Help Support CattleToday:

Bobg

Reaction score
Just looking for opinions on this one. When I have a cow in standing heat at noon, I've always AI'd that evening and had pretty good luck. But, I've mostly ended up with heifers when doing that. Has anyone AI'd the following morning with any luck.

Thanks,
Bobg

That might depend on your cow & how well you know her habits. Chances are I would be breeding other cows at the same time so I personally would breed her BOTH in the pm & again in the am. But I believe the correct protocol is breed in the am. It's just hard to wait thinking that you might be missing her.
Sometimes I would rather pay for an extra straw of semen than go through the whole CIDR & heat detection again. We are all busy & our time is worth a lot.
Are you doing this yourself or having a tech come out? If having a tech, ask them what they suggest.
Good Luck

We breed at 7am and 7pm. If I see her standing at noon I breed that evening, if she's still standing at 9pm I breed again in the morning. I did a very unscientific test one year and bred to a Red Angus bull in the evening and a Polled Hereford bull in the morning. Didn;t end up with a single baldy calf.

dun

Very good question, I hope you get many responses.

I asked this same question to dun a few months back, and followed the same advice he's given above with good success.

To add my R 0.02 if it was a maiden heifer definately breed her that pm, even if she wasn't standing at 11:30. If its a cow it shouldn't make a lot of difference, but if you're not quite sure that she is 100% in standing heat, rather wait till the next morning.

Following my own advice is the hard part, I've bred the cows that I've bred that pm on numerous occasions again in the morning.

Give the cow a shot of GnRH (Gonadatrophin Releasing Hormone) sold under trade Names of Cysterellin or (Fertugyl not sure I spelled this one right). A shot cost about $2-4 from your ver or you can buy a bottle of like 10 doses.

Any way, it is a hormone that causes the egg to be released ie. causing ovulation.

KNERSIE":1jtl3tec said:
bulldealer":1jtl3tec said:
Breed her that evening and give her a shot of GnRH.

can you give more info please?

Is there any negatives to consider, except cost? It seems like it can be a very handy tool on those "I'm not sure exactly when cases."

KNERSIE":szuj22g4 said:
Is there any negatives to consider, except cost? It seems like it can be a very handy tool on those "I'm not sure exactly when cases."

If you're early it may help, if you're on time it won;t have any affect, if you're late you might as well squirt it on the ground

dun

Dun, by late do you mean late with the GnRH pr late with inseminating. If with the GnRH I can understand as the ovulation has already taken place or is about to take place soon anyway.

If your timing was off, which would be better a little early or a little late. From what I've read there is very little difference in conception rates between 12 hours and 18 hours after the onset of standing heat and not significantly lower conception for 24 hours after onset of standing heat.

Looking for personal experience more than literature.

KNERSIE":3rhy17gf said:
Dun, by late do you mean late with the GnRH pr late with inseminating. If with the GnRH I can understand as the ovulation has already taken place or is about to take place soon anyway.

If your timing was off, which would be better a little early or a little late. From what I've read there is very little difference in conception rates between 12 hours and 18 hours after the onset of standing heat and not significantly lower conception for 24 hours after onset of standing heat.

Looking for personal experience more than literature.

Either or both kinds of late.
If the cow has ovulated it's too late. If the egg is into the horn when the sperm reaches it depending on how far along it's travel it is it may not come in contact with enough sperm cells to be fertilized.
A lot depends on the actual cycle timing of the individual animal. In theory, if you knew exactly when she ovulated and in which horn, you could deposit the semen deep into that horn and get great conception, in theory.

dun

We use CIDR and heat detect then breed all cows/heifers not in standing heat at 72 hours post Lutalyse shot. The cattle not in heat get a GnRH shot and we have just as good a conception rate on them as the ones observed in standing heat. So I say any doubts regarding breeding too early give the GnRH.

Tom

we use HeatWatch , and we have noticed as well as the company doing research with Va Tech , that later insemination is better than early . We try not to breed any cow earlier than 12hrs after onset of standing heat. We know exactly when onset occured with the HeatWatch. We have waited as long as 19 hours to breed after onset and still settle cows with only one insemination. We did find that we had a higher rate of return to heats when we bred less than 10hrs after onset of standing heat. I had rather breed at 16 hrs after onset than to breed at 8hrs. after onset.Alot of cows are "missed " with too early of insemination time . especially with heifers. They tend to ovulate late in thier cycle
I would also use the GnRH if I had to breed early , it will help to release the egg. Another thing to rember , all cows do not respond to drugs , Lutalyse , GnRH , ect... most will but not all , especially in a cidr, lutalyse, and timed breeding event . I hope this info helps

Latest posts