If i were going to make my own breed

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
We have more younger cows coming out marked this way. I want to concentrate these brindle ones into one herd... maybe some day... One is a little more simbra and one more angus.. I'd like them to be in the middle....

I have been working on spotted red angus based on a Corriente cow , Red Angus bull combination. The Red Angus has recessive genes for
color and so far have removed the horns on crosses in the first generation. It can be a crapshoot for color as you can get all black, all red to
brindle to red and white (also black and white) spotted. There is also a 50 % chance of a bull calf and another delay in genetic progression.
I would think one would need to use a bull with recessive genes for color in any case to take advantage of any color scheme you are shooting
for. So far I have made it as far as 7/8 red & white spotted. Any 15/16 thus far have been solid red. I do believe it possible to get both red
and white or black and white 15/16 but it will require a foundation Red Angus (not built up from cross breeding) The goal is a spotted calf from
a Red Angus and 15/16 spotted heifer cross. Temperment will be a subject for another discussion.........

I have been working on spotted red angus based on a Corriente cow , Red Angus bull combination. The Red Angus has recessive genes for
color and so far have removed the horns on crosses in the first generation. It can be a crapshoot for color as you can get all black, all red to
brindle to red and white (also black and white) spotted. There is also a 50 % chance of a bull calf and another delay in genetic progression.
I would think one would need to use a bull with recessive genes for color in any case to take advantage of any color scheme you are shooting
for. So far I have made it as far as 7/8 red & white spotted. Any 15/16 thus far have been solid red. I do believe it possible to get both red
and white or black and white 15/16 but it will require a foundation Red Angus (not built up from cross breeding) The goal is a spotted calf from
a Red Angus and 15/16 spotted heifer cross. Temperment will be a subject for another discussion.........
We seem to get a brindle about 50% of the time out of the red bull and a dark black cow. The brindle cow on the other hand have something any thing from dark black with some brindle to dark red with brindle... but as far as scientific calculations....lol... we just get what we get.....

I also have some of those colors in my herd and they do very well on my crappy terrain and forage. I get mine mostly from Beefmaster cows with a registered Angus sire. Its a great cross and the brindle cows throw mostly black calves with very little ear when bred back the same way.

Want brindles?
Breed Braunvieh bulls to Red Angus, Shorthorn, Hereford cows. You'll likely get a good percentage of brindle or wild color cattle...and they'll be GOOD.

I wonder how true these will breed, daughter, momma and son.. all 3 have white hind socks and the white spot... I have a few others with white socks as well though no white forehead.. I wouldn't mind a few more of them, momma is a hard working little cow, probably 1200 lbs soaking wet

20200728_104102.jpg

Want brindles?
Breed Braunvieh bulls to Red Angus, Shorthorn, Hereford cows. You'll likely get a good percentage of brindle or wild color cattle...and they'll be GOOD.

Same with Hereford and Brahman. You'll get a few "chocolates", but probably 80% or better will be brindles.

This is a brindle F8EB0BCB-440A-48FA-A044-09248D82F5EA.jpegcalf that I wasn't expecting to to be brindle. He is out of a Hereford x Braford bull, and a SimAngus heifer

Attachments

• FCAAF315-258B-4060-A4AF-12DD2E0E0B0D.jpeg
    FCAAF315-258B-4060-A4AF-12DD2E0E0B0D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Latest posts