Ideas for Harvesting Bahia seed

Help Support CattleToday:

Beefy

Reaction score
i remember some of you rigging some bahia collectors on the front of vehicles but dont remember what was used. anybody have any good idears for collecting the seed sans cows?

Jo had a post about putting a large bucket on the front of a quad, tractor, or truck I saw a while back. Just drive thru the field
Goodidea since Pensacola seed is 196 for a 50 lb bag here

Crazy isn't it. I put down some t9 in march. We got one good rain and them it dried up for 2 months. Most of the seed is trashed. Some of the harder seed is starting to come up now that we got some steady rain. 2 more weeks and I'll be able to tell if I need to reseed again or not.

That tiff quick is high dollar. If Youre in a pinch and can't wait for normal germination time. I'm even tempted to buy some now. I figure if I don't see some serious seedling popping after this rain in 2 more weeks Im in trouble.

Ya that's what I mean ga.prime, I drilled 30lbs. per acre @ a price of $196.00 for a 40lb. bag. And from what I see I got very little coming up, and thats after having 7+ inches of rain the last 3 weeks. I planted the seed on 4/27/12 and it was dry for 2wk. then we got 1/2" of rain. and still not much, then we got 2+" of rain and stll not much. Hook, brown top millet comes up good.

Shop around and find one of the old Allis Chalmers pull type combines, they are cheap and do a good job. You will have to have a place to keep the seed dry and stirred to keep it from going through a heat and ruining it. After it is dry it can be bagged for future use.

I harvested some clover this spring with the bagger on the mower . I poured it onto a few sheets of ply wood to dry then put it in old feed sacks . I hope it works out . It was a white clover that grows wild here .

That's what I figured you meant, I just wanted to hear your response.
I thought maybe I did something wrong.
I did the same last year in one two acre paddock and ther was nothing "quik" about it.
I've got a pretty good stand now, but the weeds had no competition from the grass to start with and they flourished.
I'd love to spray it now with Grazon but it's supposedly too young to spray until second year.
Sounded like a good concept, "quik", but it's obviously BS.
Glad I only did the one as an experiment.
Never again.

hooknline":3330e4ex said:
Jo had a post about putting a large bucket on the front of a quad, tractor, or truck I saw a while back. Just drive thru the field
Goodidea since Pensacola seed is 196 for a 50 lb bag here
Most of East Texas has been seeded with bahia this way....one trip thru a good bahia field will accumulate about 2 cups of very good seed on the front bumper area. Then just go to your place. You'll plant it all the way home.

I broke down and paid for some bag seed today. Killed me to do it but without it I'd spend 3x that in hay

Anybody cutting it for hay will collect gallons on top of the rotary cutter.
A front end loader with one side of a cycle mower blade attached works on Bluestem, should work on Bahia.

I always bale my Bermuda fields first . And after I bale
The Bahia I use a leaf blower to clean my baler to attempt to not over seed .Over the last 2 winters I planted 40 acres in Bahia by unrolling my hay . Sure beats 300 a 50 for seed .

If you will take an oil drum and cut it in half length wise you can mount this at a tilt to a frame that can be attached to the front of your truck then all you need to do is drive down the right of way or in a pasture and the seed will pop off and fall into the barrels.

what if i ducttaped the holes in the front end loader and had that downish when i cut hay next week?

photo-104.jpg

Made this using a tank top that was useless until now.
Tried a small stretch and it works ok. Just need to fine tune it and find some grass shoots that are ready.
Redneck Bahia seed combine. Thanks for the idea jo

Latest posts