ideas for an inexpensive house

Help Support CattleToday:

Storage container.. Look them up on Google.
My son lives in one,but there's just him..

dun":17udpkbj said:
Some years ago a friend f ours moved a single wide into a canyon until they could build a house. They started on the house and lived in the trailer. They finally realized that htey wouldn;t be able to move the trailer out so the moved it up against the hosue they were building and incorporated it into the back of the hosue. That way they had the bedrooms bathrooms and kitchen all taken care of. Unless you knew the saga you wouldn;t have known they had done that. Som why not build a stick house around the trailer and save some money on the expensive stuff like plumbing and fixtures.

dun, I had a friend with pretty much the same setup. last year when the wildfires burned him to the ground, the insurance company failed to give him full coverage because it was a half and half. something to consider........

tsmaxx47":36l0swd4 said:
dun":36l0swd4 said:
Some years ago a friend f ours moved a single wide into a canyon until they could build a house. They started on the house and lived in the trailer. They finally realized that htey wouldn;t be able to move the trailer out so the moved it up against the hosue they were building and incorporated it into the back of the hosue. That way they had the bedrooms bathrooms and kitchen all taken care of. Unless you knew the saga you wouldn;t have known they had done that. Som why not build a stick house around the trailer and save some money on the expensive stuff like plumbing and fixtures.

dun, I had a friend with pretty much the same setup. last year when the wildfires burned him to the ground, the insurance company failed to give him full coverage because it was a half and half. something to consider........
they look for loop holes but those single wides can be bought fairly cheap specially repops

ALACOWMAN":j36zjjej said:
tsmaxx47":j36zjjej said:
dun":j36zjjej said:

they look for loop holes but those single wides can be bought fairly cheap specially repops

Exactly any insurance company will look into that kinda thing anything to save a buck. If you can help it I wouldnt give them any reason to have an easy out of paying up when you need them.

I can build Houses pretty cheap. I built a friends house for him in my free time for about 3,000. A frame house with a loft bedroom and about 14x14.. I imagine for about 5500 you could build a 28x28 if you liked..lol He got left a piece of land from his dad. Like just a lil bit over 10 acres. Out in the sticks, with a lagoon sewer and solar panels and satellite T.V. He uses Propane to run fridge and stove. And when he wants to use a microwave he uses his generator to run it and also power tools are ran off of generator too. He is switching to a Electric Freezer and just turning it into a fridge instead. There is alot of ways to save money. Ruff cut wood is a big money saver or go tear down buildings for people and get free wood or whatever you can salvage from the house or barn instead of money. I have a father in-law that does that, he uses his rehabers to go tear down unwanted buildings and he gets to keep the materials instead. The rehabers work odd jobs like that for staying and being fed and housed. They built a Huge Fellowship Hall and like 9 bunk house cabins by doing this. His rehab is completely self sufficient. They raise there own food and get donations from churches etc for clothes and odds and ends.

All good ideas-something to think about-i really just want something newer and nice looking-we don't have much time to do work ourselves-Double wides are convenient, all set up, and if placed on a permanent pad with blocks they are considered a permanent house, cheaper on insurance-I have seen alot of nice looking ones, with landscaping done outside around it you can't even tell-Oh well maybe someday...

GMN said:
Double wides are convenient, all set up, and if placed on a permanent pad with blocks they are considered a permanent house, cheaper on insurance-quote]

Maybe its different where you are or with the insurance company but my insurance company still consideres anything not wood framed and on permanent foundation a trailer and they won't insure them. I have USAA insurance.

ALACOWMAN":c1wn5wba said:
i know your wanting to put on your farm,, but with all the foreclosures now days you can buy a nice home for less then a double wide....

Very true. You could buy one in detroit for 600 bucks and have it shipped to you probably for less than a double wide.

skyhightree1":2qdcr5v7 said:
GMN":2qdcr5v7 said:
Double wides are convenient, all set up, and if placed on a permanent pad with blocks they are considered a permanent house, cheaper on insurance-quote]

Maybe its different where you are or with the insurance company but my insurance company still consideres anything not wood framed and on permanent foundation a trailer and they won't insure them. I have USAA insurance.
Yes it's different. In MO if it's on a permanent foundation it's insured and taxed as a regular house.

dun":20bzbynl said:
skyhightree1":20bzbynl said:
GMN":20bzbynl said:

Yes it's different. In MO if it's on a permanent foundation it's insured and taxed as a regular house.

Gotcha

Latest posts