I should know this

Help Support CattleToday:

slick4591

Reaction score
but I'm not up on my feeds as well as I should be. Is this a good feed to grow calves? I'm thinking the protein should be a little higher. (Sorry. I can't get it to rotate.)

You could feed it, but it's not going to get you the best rate of gain. Probably be better fed to like it says, bulls and heifers.

I'd go with a minimum of 14% protein. Just my preference and we've had good growth on the 14%.

slick4591":14ryjoqm said:
but I'm not up on my feeds as well as I should be. Is this a good feed to grow calves? I'm thinking the protein should be a little higher. (Sorry. I can't get it to rotate.)

Slick the company that makes this has a good reputation for making quality feeds with quality ingredients. Is this a "sweet feed" but also containing cottonseed hulls?? Just curious. What size calves do you plan to feed it to.

Might add some soybean meal or 17% gluten pellets to it. Our local feed mill has good feed but seems not of it is high protein for pushing cattle or hogs.

I usually add SBM if I'm wanting a higher protein feed

kentuckyguy":14pb3l4d said:
Might add some soybean meal or 17% gluten pellets to it. Our local feed mill has good feed but seems not of it is high protein for pushing cattle or hogs.

I usually add SBM if I'm wanting a higher protein feed

Thanks. I'm not necessarily wanting to push them. I want them to grow with natural development so a buyer gets what's advertised. I have access to a better quality feed and will buy it if I need to. This feed was recommended and I've fed a few bags, but it's been in the back of my mind that I should be using a higher protein.

5S Cattle":7d2t3a12 said:
What would you use to up the protein?

If this question is directed at me, my answer would be to buy a different feed. I'm not interested in having to mix and match additives.

slick4591":2pm63tv5 said:
5S Cattle":2pm63tv5 said:

If this question is directed at me, my answer would be to buy a different feed. I'm not interested in having to mix and match additives.
It was, the reason I asked is, I can get a 12% feed for $6/bag. But the 14% creep is $9/bag. If I could bump the protein and come out ahead I'd be all ears.

5S Cattle":3uk6z6ep said:
slick4591":3uk6z6ep said:
5S Cattle":3uk6z6ep said:

It was, the reason I asked is, I can get a 12% feed for $6/bag. But the 14% creep is $9/bag. If I could bump the protein and come out ahead I'd be all ears.

This stuff I bought was $11.45 a #50. I'd bet TexasBred could tell what additive you might use.

slick4591":2ld19fo2 said:
5S Cattle":2ld19fo2 said:
slick4591":2ld19fo2 said:

This stuff I bought was $11.45 a #50. I'd bet TexasBred could tell what additive you might use.
Most all cattle feeds in Texas use cottonseed meal as the primary protein source. Doesn't take much to raise the protein to 14%. Don't know if you really need it if you want to grow them out slow and easy but it is readily available in just about any feed store.

TexasBred":209vsb5i said:
slick4591":209vsb5i said:
5S Cattle":209vsb5i said:

Most all cattle feeds in Texas use cottonseed meal as the primary protein source. Doesn't take much to raise the protein to 14%. Don't know if you really need it if you want to grow them out slow and easy but it is readily available in just about any feed store.
How much cottonseed would you add to a 12 to make it 14? Or is it even necessary?

5S Cattle":3nxz3vt1 said:
TexasBred":3nxz3vt1 said:
slick4591":3nxz3vt1 said:
How much cottonseed would you add to a 12 to make it 14? Or is it even necessary?
About 2 lbs. to a 50 lb. bag. For slow steady growth it's really not necessary but also won't hurt a thing.

TexasBred":3nbclom9 said:
5S Cattle":3nbclom9 said:
TexasBred":3nbclom9 said:
About 2 lbs. to a 50 lb. bag. For slow steady growth it's really not necessary but also won't hurt a thing.
Oh wow that ain't much at all. How'd you get to know all of this TB?

slick4591":1l5h97eg said:

I hope the numbers at the bottom of the tag isn't the date your feed was bagged........ 10/21/13

Latest posts