I really like this bull

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
We have a big snow storm coming and more below zero F temperatures so put out some fresh hay bales and emptied partial bales from the feeders on the ground to give my cattle some easy grazing and a place to bed down in the snow and cold. They have no buildings just the woods for shelter.

My two bulls and a late born steer are wintering in a north facing sloped pasture. When I dumped their hay feeder on the ground near some trees, they looked like kids in a candy store. Heading down to the hay my newer Huth bull stopped in the snow and turned and looked at me. I snapped his picture.

Now I am not an experienced judge of bulls by any means. But I really like this bull. He has a good disposition, is deferential to me (moves out of my way when I tell him to), is very solid, and long. He is very moderate in size. He is a real grass bull - maintains condition with no significant grain other than a couple pounds training/gentling treat maybe every 2 weeks or so. Just good hay, mineral, salt and very good ice-free water.

This is not a skilled photographers photo for a bull catalog, just a late winter snapshot of a bull I really like.

He is never going to win the Denver or any other show but I really like this bull:
IMG_2987_Bullheadingforfreshhayaheadofsnowstorm_013111_640.jpg

Jim

SRBeef-

You have a lot of reasons to "really like this bull." He is a fine specimen, with a strong, level back, good hindquarters, solid legs, and deep body. He was thanking you for the opportunity to get out of the snow! Good for you!

DOLC HARRIS

Dang it Jim, I wish I lived closer to you I sure would try and buy some of your cattle. My MIL is from Wisconsin so that's they only connection I can come up with. You should probably send that bull down here to me and I'll see how he does for about 3-4 years and then let you know if you should have kept him-- 8)

Jim we are expecting 24 inches today. I put out extra hay and unrolled a couple bales so they could lay on them. I am like you my cows have no place except the woods. I can move them to a quanset hut type building if it is a must. It is in walking distance and there is water.

Yes. They are saying if we get this it would be the worst storm in history. Lots of places closed down already and it hasnt even started snowing yet.

JHH":31xv9mm2 said:
Yes. They are saying if we get this it would be the worst storm in history. Lots of places closed down already and it hasnt even started snowing yet.

May as well enjoy the time off and get rested up to do a lot of shoveling.

Skid steers will be a good piece of equip to have access to! :cowboy:

That's a good looking bull Mr. Jim. I think anyone would be happy with him.

I really love the Bull, I like the snow also, but glad you go it not me. You know TN if you bring that bull down here into the heat and bugs, and put him on fescue grass he might not look so good...but if he does, I like to use him for about 10 weeks....

Thanks for the kind words. However this bull will be with me for quite some time. Besides, he's a GB Packer backer...

I did the same for the cow/heifer group: dumped hay feeders on the ground for them and refilled with fresh hay ahead of the snow and colder temps. The steers grazing corn right now were just somewhere up on the hill lost in the corn and seemed to be somewhat oblivious to the snow starting.

Here's another picture of part of the cow heifer group. Again thanks for the kind words about the bull. I think he is well suited for what I want to do. My good neighbor calls him "Shorty". The first name that comes to mind when I look at him is "Torpedo". But since I don't name my cattle he will just stay U70.

IMG_3008_heifersandcowswithloosehayaheadofsnowcold_013111_640.jpg

Stay safe in this weather.

Jim

Looks to me like a bull that can do well for the breed some obvious muscle and appears to be correct. Be nice to see his calves. Your winter scene appears a lot like ours except we dont have any brush or tree's. All thats between us and Canada is a few 3 wire barb wire fences and a h---- of alot of snow.

yeah, all we have is trees in the fence lines and we put out a dozen bales in the shape of an "L" for the weather we are experiencing now. We used to have trees but the previous owner took all of them out and they now sit in a couple of brush piles which is where the cows hang out in bad weather.

Beef Man":2r8ihhd5 said:
Looks to me like a bull that can do well for the breed some obvious muscle and appears to be correct. Be nice to see his calves. Your winter scene appears a lot like ours except we dont have any brush or tree's. All thats between us and Canada is a few 3 wire barb wire fences and a h---- of alot of snow.
gaucho or redbrand :cowboy:

KNERSIE":1hn9mnp5 said:
Type wise he is a big improvement on T21

Knersie, I have to say that I agree with you.

U70 is a half brother to T21, both sired by a 9126J bull with some 3008 etc in there. However they are very different bulls. The EPD's on U70 are good but not the dramatic growth as T21. My main thing is calving ease and they appear to share that.

But the phenotypes are very different, as you point out. My neighbor says the same thing. I am really looking forward to seeing the calves out of U70, especially from my Tundra, Huth Oak, and Proficient heifers. U70 should also help moderate the frame size and add beef to my commercials.

U70 has a beefy phenotype (solid) but smaller frame size and an unusually good disposition. IF the calving ease shows to be as expected I hope U70 is in my herd for a long time.

I think I am starting to see what some of you folks have been trying to teach me about phenotype. Thank you.

Jim

JHH":3kklvdb1 said:
Roadapple":3kklvdb1 said:
In your bull picture, how effective is that fly rub at this time of the year?

I would say it works really well. You dont see any flies do you

What did you end up with? We have 18-20 inches I had to walk in to the farm to get to equip. any where from ankle deep to waist deep jusnt take many steps to know if your in shape or not and this fat boy is not just took my time on the this trek and then made paths for cattle for rest of day.
-11 this am but everything is ok all snuggled in the stubble clover big bales I had rolled out

Larry I had -11 here this morning also. Still trying to dig out.At least the wind isnt blowing like it was tuesday evening.

I cant get top my cows yet. At least 7 foot drifts and we are trying to dig it all out. I think we ended up with about the same amount of snow as you.

Latest posts