I never have seen it this dry.

Help Support CattleToday:

Haven't seen to many egrets either....guess it's to hot and dry...upside if you can call it that is no grasshoppers and armyworms either

B - I've been wondering lately where you've been. What's up?

Mother Nature sure is an unexplainable abomination. We've had the best growing year so far that we've had in 10 years or so. Had a short window to get the hay up in, still haven't got it all out of the fields. Thunderstorms have started up again, I got stuck in one today. Saw it coming, ended up hiding in a cab tractor under a walnut tree on the edge of a 45 acre field thru 25 minutes of lightning and sideways rain. A 3' by 5' glass tractor cab gets mighty small when there's lightning all around you. After the storm left, I finished loading the tractor trailer which was parked in the middle of the field - 30 rolls on trailer. Field had water standing in it, and I was leaving 1/2" deep foot prints just walking to the truck. Knew it wasn't going to make it out of the field so I didn't bother strapping it down, figured I'd have to unload it and push truck out with tractor. Got the truck rolling and somehow got to the edge of the road, on a hardpack gravel berm and strapped it down. Drove straight to the local store and bought a lottery ticket, haven't done so in over 10 years. $43 million, if you guys don't hear from me after Tuesday you'll know what happened...

Found another pile of white feathers today. I think this is a total of 5 in two weeks. They best stay on the cows backs.

Seen some rain yesterday in St.Augustine Fl. 1st time in over 100 days. It looked like they needed it bad to, really smokey south of Jacksonville. Maybe this week comming we will get some rain, at least no fires around the farm yet.

highgrit":e17i8rjm said:
Seen some rain yesterday in St.Augustine Fl. 1st time in over 100 days. It looked like they needed it bad to, really smokey south of Jacksonville. Maybe this week comming we will get some rain, at least no fires around the farm yet.

That smoke is coming from Bunnell, about 30-45 minutes south of St Augustine. I have been breathing that smoke for the past week. Glad it blew north yesterday to give us a break from it. Hopefully we will get some rain this week.

We sold 10 bred cows (out of season with the rest of the herd, but we were gonna calve em out and try to get em back on track) yesterday afternoon, trying to cut down on feeding and hay $$$. People w/in an hour's drive of us have gotten enough rain to keep their pastures going, but every storm cell that comes through breaks up and splits before it gets here. It's sickening to watch the radar and see systems slide open and drift right to the north and south and leave us dry.
We got a little shower over the weekend, but we're back to dust bowl status today. Every time a truck goes down the road, there's so much dust it looks like smoke.
On a positive note though, our all-time #1 jumper left our place this morning. I've seen her clear stuff most cows wouldn't attempt. And that's with a dart in her neck! It was a great feeling to see her leave. My bro hauled her to the sale barn; sd she had already jumped a 7 or 8 ft fence and ran 2 cowboys up the fence before he left. I truly wouldn't even care if she escaped and we didn't see a cent, as long as she doesn't find her way back here. :banana:

farmwriter":1wy6lgl4 said:
We sold 10 bred cows (out of season with the rest of the herd, but we were gonna calve em out and try to get em back on track) yesterday afternoon, trying to cut down on feeding and hay $$$. People w/in an hour's drive of us have gotten enough rain to keep their pastures going, but every storm cell that comes through breaks up and splits before it gets here. It's sickening to watch the radar and see systems slide open and drift right to the north and south and leave us dry.
We got a little shower over the weekend, but we're back to dust bowl status today. Every time a truck goes down the road, there's so much dust it looks like smoke.
On a positive note though, our all-time #1 jumper left our place this morning. I've seen her clear stuff most cows wouldn't attempt. And that's with a dart in her neck! It was a great feeling to see her leave. My bro hauled her to the sale barn; sd she had already jumped a 7 or 8 ft fence and ran 2 cowboys up the fence before he left. I truly wouldn't even care if she escaped and we didn't see a cent, as long as she doesn't find her way back here. :banana:

We must be next door neighbors!

LRTX1":1uqoqhtq said:
farmwriter":1uqoqhtq said:

We must be next door neighbors!
You can add me to that neighbor list too. This is getting ridiculous

Still no rain. Had two lightning fires last night. Thankfully got them out before they did much damage. I'm wondering if I shouldn't change my mineral. Maybe that will help.

I saw that big cloud head across 'Fla on the radar. I was envious. We have a few chances this week but I'm not getting my hopes too high.

Jo,
That rain will only by us a little time here, with the highs getting into the 100's this week it will be all used up in no time. I havent seen the gauge this morning but we should have a whole inch in it. Got a call this morning said a tree fell on some panels at the farm. Headed out to clean that up and see how much that cost me. Had to put my Heeler down last night after the storm. Thankful for the rain but dang the bad night.

i truelly do feel for you boys as we are all in the same boat,its dry as a bone here with temps in the 90s.but we do have a cutting of hay if the custom baler gets to it.if we dont get rain here soon there wont be a fall cutting.dont know how much longer our grass will hold out.

What's the stuff falling from the sky over us??I'm confused. It filled the guage 1/2"..what is this???????

there is a 50% chance of rain on thursday (unless they changed their minds again, i watched 60% turn to 0% last night) so i'm going to cut "hay". if it gets rained on it could only improve it.

I wish I had some to cut too. That will make it rain for sure. It got to 104 hear today and they are callng for that tomorrow as well. It won't take long at these temps for everything to die.

Latest posts