I lost my heifer and calf last night...

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Dogs and Cows":2lfke2lp said:
Well, last night was my worst nightmare. I got up early this am and my heifer was dead...no calf born. So I guess what every happened was quick. I am pretty devastated. I know this is part of the deal...and things happen...but it still is not easy. Thanks for all the support.

Tim

Sorry to hear that Tim.

People can say it a thousand times and no matter how right they are, - "You are going to lose some" - it does not make it one bit easier. I am sorry to hear the bad news.

Sorry to hear that. It never gets any easier to lose one but in the long run it will make your successes taste sweeter. Just don't get discouraged.

If I ever get to the point where it does not hurt to lose a cow or calf them I will know it is time for me to change directions.

Sorry about your loss.

Do you know the cause or have a idea what caused this to happen? I would like to hear what folks think caused her to die. Myself I would think when the calf was turning or preparing to get into the birthing position she tore something inside the heifer. I open all mine up and try and see what happened. Found a piece of sand paper in a dead calf's throat one time.

Were there obvious signs of calving like a protruding water bag, with correct feet/nose? If the calf was an abnormal presentation such as backwards with the feet back, you wouldn't see any visible calf parts. The thing I dreaded most was reaching in to grasp only a tail.

Did you reach in after the fact to determine if the calf was properly positioned in the birth canal? I'd be sure to recommend OB gloves and disinfectant for doing that.

I'm wondering if the heifer was actually in the calving process, or did she do something like get over on her back too far past the point of no return? I've lost more than one that way. Doesn't take much of a depression or incline of the ground to do it. If she laid over too far , it doesn't take long.

Sorry for your loss, and don't beat yourself up over this. Dust yourself off, get back in the saddle, and go on. The successes in this business are the only thing that make the failures worth it.

I know it doesn't help, but death loss happens to all of us. And if it hasn't yet, it will. Unfortunately, the #1 rule of the cattle business is that if you have livestock, you will have dead stock. :bang: :frowns:

Sorry for your loss Tim, but that is what I suspected was going on.
I would have told you that earlier , but as there was nothing you could have done, I saw no reason to make matters worse for you.
What I picked up on was, when dun said:
Frequently when they go from looking fat as a tick to looking thinner it's because the calf has rotated into the delivery position.
Which I totally agree with, but it can also mean the calf is dead or about to be.
It has been my experience that when they get in this position they should be born within the hour.
If they are not, most likely they will be born dead.
Sounds like the poor girl gave it her all.
Was there any viable discharge?

cow pollinater wrote:Sorry to hear that. It never gets any easier to lose one but in the long run it will make your successes taste sweeter. Just don't get discouraged.
Well said!
+1
+ 2.

Liz