I know cattle board, but a slaughter horse issue

Help Support CattleToday:

Alan

Reaction score
My wife told me this morning she had a read an article in the paper about horses being abandoned at the auction yards because no one is buying the slaughter type horses. It seems that it becoming a problem for auction yards. This is all due to recent laws passed on forbidding horse slaughter in the U.S. THe problem seems to be mostly OK and TX right now. I will admit I did not see the article, but I certainly see this being a real problem quickly. It could snowball into all kinds of things, abandoned horses all over, neglected horses, an impact on the sale of horses and the horse market.

Just found it interesting and a bit upsetting, what have they done?

I'll also post this where it belongs.

Alan

One of my old rescue horses is shot thru with tumors. On his last vet check, the vet told me that he probably wouldn't last long and we'd have to euthanize him sooner than he'd expected. I asked him if, when the time came, we could do it there at his clinic and have the animal removal pick it up there. He said that the animal removal refused to pick up dead horses anymore...we'd have to euthanize him at the farm and have someone dig a hole to bury him. I couldn't believe it!

This vet is angry as hops about the horse slaughter moratorium, or whatever it's called. He says he's as angry with himself as anyone for not hounding his congressmen. He said that it's gone over into the dead animal removal business...I didn't ask how. Anyway, apparently there've been successful lawsuits against dead animal removal services up north...so, our dead animal service refuses to remove them. :mad:

Alice

Reminds me of when the animal right groups got Fl to make it illegal to hunt dear and they all wond up starving from over population. Wonder how many horses are going to widn up starving before this issue get righted.

The horse market has hit rock bottom here, you can,t give one away.
I went to a sale barn last Sat. an goats were bringing more than horses.

Alan":1o35osdo said:
what have they done?

Alan

They've done exactly what is expected when emotional issues are decided on the emotions rather then the intelligence of the isssue

dun

I read in Canadian Cattlemans magazine that there was going to be an end to slaughter horses for domestic meat in the U.S..I thought it was just an idea put out there by animal rights activists like PETA and didn't think it would ever be passed.That sounds just horrible don't these do gooders think as to what consequences might happen before they act.I sure hope that doesn't happen here as all livestock industries are really suffering.

Reg Quarter horse mare sold for $155 last week at cattle auction...... Saddle/Bridle sold for $135!!

I won't be surprised to see folks dumping horses in the country like dogs and cats before long. The horse slaughterhouses run almost 100,000 head through per year - where do the animal rights folks think they'll all end up?

Texas Gal":1sqgdxd6 said:
I won't be surprised to see folks dumping horses in the country like dogs and cats before long. The horse slaughterhouses run almost 100,000 head through per year - where do the animal rights folks think they'll all end up?

TG - Animal rights folks do not give a rats @$$ about where those extras will end up. Horses are worth nothing - even the good ones.

If you flood the market with animals - good quality or not - then the price goes down.

Lots of ponies will be released - most in places they should not be released. Lots will starve and more will simply be shot and left to lay.

Right? Wrong? Well, it depends on which side of the fence you sit. Someone in the city will call you a hard hearted liar and someone in the country will call you a scoundrel - all for disposing of an animal in the best way you can.

Until someone changes the law - and even then the export slaughter market has been destroyed - probably never to be built again - it is simply - "Just the way it is now."

Bez>

AngusLimoX":3kausm8a said:
Who is "they"

In my mind "they" includes all who opposed it but didn't speak up.

I agree.

I wrote a letter, sent an e-mail and made a couple of phone calls. I guess sometimes "they" don't want to hear what the little guy has to say. I also 'speak up' at voting time, just another way to get my voice out there.

Katherine

The neighbors all got together and decided, that we would shoot each others horses. Hey, the buzzards had to eat too.

I wrote multiple letters to Rep. Carter, Sen. Hutchinson, and Sen Cornyn. I'm almost positive Carter voted against closing the plants, but I also know the bill did not pass the Senate. The reason those plants closed is because of a district judge siding with animal rights activitists on a law passed in the 40's.

Our sale barn won't let horses off the trailer.

EPA is after us for cow manure. Next will be dead horses buried in too high of concentrations on small acrages.

I think I'll go beat my head against the wall until I pass out.

Carnivore":3190ttmz said:
So, what is it like eating horse meat?

It's a bit stringy but sweet tasting. Not as good as beef but in the same category in my preference to pork, goat or venison. Far superior to chicken, domestic turkey, and much more then superior to sheep/lamb. At least it doesn;t stink or have a bad tatse like they do.

dun

AngusLimoX":2gwf6npg said:
Alan":2gwf6npg said:
Just found it interesting and a bit upsetting, what have they done?

I'll also post this where it belongs.

Alan

Who is "they" Alan.

In my mind "they" includes all who opposed it but didn't speak up.

Hey that's really good input, "they will listen to my phone call or read my letter and disregard the millions of $ going to them from the "they" that really want their vote. Oh yah, the single voice is all that makes the difference in todays politics. :roll: :roll: :roll: I wish someone could convince me that I'm wrong... But I doubt it. This is why we have such great control of our southern border, has nothing to do with the Mexican vote or the need of cheap, hard to trace illegal immigrant labor by the .... oh you guess who is hiring them. Oh, to answer your question, they are politicians, local state and federal.

Alan

Latest posts