I have an EPD question

Help Support CattleToday:

Ollie,

A cows milk EPD is expressed in lbs of her calves weaning weight that is attiributed to her own dirict milk production. That is why you don't divide by 2 to get total maternal which is what her direct contibution to weaning weight is.

jnowack":3qx6n9zz said:
Ollie,

A cows milk EPD is expressed in lbs of her calves weaning weight that is attiributed to her own dirict milk production. That is why you don't divide by 2 to get total maternal which is what her direct contibution to weaning weight is.
The milk part is pretty simple. What we are having a problem with is why divide the ww in half?

Tod Dague":zqy37bef said:
jnowack":zqy37bef said:
Ollie,

The milk part is pretty simple. What we are having a problem with is why divide the ww in half?

I thought we had gone over this.

Because the cow only contributes half of the genetic potential to the weaning weight EPD. Same for the bull.

MikeC":2g283zmx said:
Tod Dague":2g283zmx said:
jnowack":2g283zmx said:
Ollie,

I thought we had gone over this.

Because the cow only contributes half of the genetic potential to the weaning weight EPD. Same for the bull.
We had but I still don't get it. I thought that the ww EPD represented the cow's or bull's genetic half of the EPD. When compairing bulls you don't cut the WW EPD in half. If he shows a 5 lb advantave in ww we don't say well it's really only 2.5 lb.

If it is her dtrs performance then why don't we also divide the milk in half since she only contributes half of those genetics also?

Latest posts