I feel bad.......aka why I'm buying a " hot shot"

Help Support CattleToday:

Kingfisher

Reaction score
I feel bad......we loaded some cattle today. It was a great experience. The cows and the bull cooperated for the most part. We couldn't get the last Cow/calf to load. The calf we finally pushed in . The big red Angus momma cow wouldn't budge. I kept wacking her on the rump and twisting her tail trying to convince her to get up. this was after wacking on her front leg for a bit trying to get her to step up. I was using a lil walnut branch and I guess it had a kicker on it. Next thing I knew the cow was bleeding a little on her quarter. Seems the kicker cut her a little........she quite bleeding pretty quick..........but I still feel bad. I don't think I will let that happen again.........;(

I have had one for years. Used it aa lot when I trucked cattle but rarely ever now. It is sometimes easier on both you and the cow if used correctly.

A hot shot can cause much less stress at times. It all depends on who is handling what.

highgrit":ljbx2l0a said:
A rope just below their butt works good also.
I Was twisting her tail to much......couldn't reach a rope or her butt! Thanks for the reminder. That would have worked.

Backhoe and KT have it right. Use a hotshot if you know how, don't use one if you don't. Don't use them to punish or cuz' you're mad. Use them only when necessary.
I think maybe the biggest mistake I see with hotshots is using them too little when they use them. People will tickle the cows and barely touch them. Again and again. When I use one, the cow knows to go forward, I don't let off till she does. They seem to bounce back and forth if you just touch them and pull off. Hotshot users, is that what you have found? gs

i use a hot shot when needed. Most the time i can load cows with a stick and hardly touch them. I spent 2 hours trying to load 8 two year old brangus bulls when i bought my first one. i agree with plumber gregg, if your gonna use one use it til they move.

plumber_greg":1lbz8n8r said:
Backhoe and KT have it right. Use a hotshot if you know how, don't use one if you don't. Don't use them to punish or cuz' you're mad. Use them only when necessary.
I think maybe the biggest mistake I see with hotshots is using them too little when they use them. People will tickle the cows and barely touch them. Again and again. When I use one, the cow knows to go forward, I don't let off till she does. They seem to bounce back and forth if you just touch them and pull off. Hotshot users, is that what you have found? gs

We try not to use them much, but we find a tap on the top line just ahead of the tail is usually sufficient. Typically our cows do more following us than us pushing them, but when they don't want to move up the alley or into the chute, a little jolt seems much less stressful than a lot of other methods I've seen folks try.

alisonb":22wysrro said:
highgrit":22wysrro said:
A rope just below their butt works good also.
A rope and tail jack - no hot shot would be necessary in most cases.
We don;t use the rope, just crank tails. No hotshots at all. Rarely do we have a problrem with moving a cow (or calf) along that way. I've found that a couple of them that won;t budge when I crank their tails will almost run ahead when someone that they aren;t familiar with so much as grabs for their tail.

I keep the hot shot available but not in a location where it is too convenient. When I first got one I found out that the patience of the person pushing the cattle down the alley got a lot thinner and they were using as soon as a cow stopped for a second. Now I keep it by the chute and if there is a hold-up I will grab it and walk back to see what the problem is.

It can be a great tool, but can also be used as a crutch.

Latest posts