Hybrid Vigor Crosses Explained.

Help Support CattleToday:

I did some obscure digging around and it seems that they are the same genus but different "subgenus" Whatever that is.

A good example of different of different species is a horse and a donkey. Hence you get a mule. Which is sterile. Bos indicus and Bos Taurus are subspecies of the same species. Therefore they can produce fertile offspring.

JMJ Farms":rlawpatd said:
A good example of different of different species is a horse and a donkey. Hence you get a mule. Which is sterile. Bos indicus and Bos Taurus are subspecies of the same species. Therefore they can produce fertile offspring.
So are European Wisent and American Bison (both are separated species), they will produce fertile hybrids. Even gaur x domestic cattle can produced F1 fertile hybrids of both sexes.

Coyotes and wolves interbreeding and produce fertile hybrids while dogs and jackals produced sterile hybrids. All are in genus Canis.

My point is just because two species produce fertile hybrids, doesn't mean they're same species.

It's the number of chromosomes in the species that you are crossing, that leads to sterility I think? Same number from mom----same number from dad------same number in off spring, means no problem.

Mules for example end with an odd/mismatched set that prevents meiosis-----If I am remembering right.