Hurricane Rita - Seeding/Fertilizing Opinion

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
NE Texas has a potential of getting a substantial amounts of rainfall over the weekend (late Saturday/Sunday/Monday).

I had planned on seeding my winter pasture mix on Saturday morning - fertilizing as well. Would you plant before or after the effects of Hurricane Rita? I just wondered if the large amounts of rainfall would wash the seed away or cause uneven amounts of seed in different areas.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.

Are you planning to drill it? I think I would wait until after. My logic is that I am afraid it would just get washed away.

No.
The pasture has been broken up with a disc and is in good shape. My plan was to broadcast the fertilzer and the seed. Then work it in with a harrow.

Still might get bunched up depending on how much rain you get. If it floods and stays wet for an extended period of time you may loose most of it. Then again I don't know your area that well. The other thought is it might be too wet to get equipment in the fields after heavy rains.

I think I'd wait.

But you know what you need.

I would wait too. I have had seed to flow down and leave a lot of bare spots. With you being that close to the hurricane, you are likely to get more water than you want. Seed and fertilizer are so high. The fertilizer just needs a gentle rain to disolve it into the soil. Heavy rains will take it to the nearest ditch.

I kind of figured waiting would be the overall consensus, but if I could get it out before a good rain (since we haven't had much all year), it might be worth it risking. Around here we are already feeding hay. And you're absolutely right – it's too expensive to waste.

Thanks,

I'd wait. Will be just as good with the added moisture in the ground and you don't have to worry with washing away or bunching of the seeds.

Update…

I did go ahead and plant the seed the weekend of Sept. 21st. I did so because the forecast for hurricane Rita and the rainfall wasn't going to be as bad as they had predicted. They were right! Not only did we not get anything then, we have not had any rain since before I threw the seed. I checked the other day and the seed is still covered but hadn't germinated. I heard the other day that this the 4th worst year on record for rainfall. I have been feeding hay since Aug/Sept.

I haven't thrown any fertilizer on the seed because I was waiting for it to come up first…and of course it hasn't. My question's are….

1. Is the seed I threw out over 2 months ago okay?

2. Weathermen are calling for rain on Sun/Mon. I am going to throw out fertilizer 200 lbs. per/acre this evening. If we don't get any rain (I'm not feeling very positive), will the fertilizer and the seed be okay - until we do get rain…who knows…weeks or months?

Thanks,

TexasShooter":1m1l2v0f said:
Update…

I did go ahead and plant the seed the weekend of Sept. 21st. I did so because the forecast for hurricane Rita and the rainfall wasn't going to be as bad as they had predicted. They were right! Not only did we not get anything then, we have not had any rain since before I threw the seed. I checked the other day and the seed is still covered but hadn't germinated. I heard the other day that this the 4th worst year on record for rainfall. I have been feeding hay since Aug/Sept.

I haven't thrown any fertilizer on the seed because I was waiting for it to come up first…and of course it hasn't. My question's are….

1. Is the seed I threw out over 2 months ago okay?

2. Weathermen are calling for rain on Sun/Mon. I am going to throw out fertilizer 200 lbs. per/acre this evening. If we don't get any rain (I'm not feeling very positive), will the fertilizer and the seed be okay - until we do get rain…who knows…weeks or months?

Thanks,

I'm in the same boat with you. I seeded some rye grass about the same time. I wouldn't fertilize at this point. With the cooling temps and the sporadic rainfall, germination may be questionable. I'd keep the fertilizer money and use it in the spring.

I'm in the same boat with you. I seeded some rye grass about the same time. I wouldn't fertilize at this point. With the cooling temps and the sporadic rainfall, germination may be questionable. I'd keep the fertilizer money and use it in the spring.

That's not good news. I really could use some pasture this winter, especially since I have been going though the hay. As far as winter pasture mix (oats/rye/veg) does the cooler weather effect the germination? I figured if we got the rainfall then it would come up, etc.

TexasShooter":3v0pkdho said:

That's not good news. I really could use some pasture this winter, especially since I have been going though the hay. As far as winter pasture mix (oats/rye/veg) does the cooler weather effect the germination? I figured if we got the rainfall then it would come up, etc.

Here in our area, some will probably come up, however as the temps get cooler, the germination percentage will decrease. Hard to say at this point. Depends on when we get the rainfall. I do feel your pain though.

I would hold up on fertilizer until it is up. You ave missed out on best growing time because no rain. Daylight length is going to get you. The day length get shorter until December 22 and then gets longer. Your day light lenght today is about the same as it will be February 15 (that is about when ryegrass starts to kick it in gear in the spring). You need to let the winter pasture get about 6 inches tall before you turn in on it, so you are not going to get much grazing this winter.

I planted rye in December last year and it did just fine. Then again it probably doesn't get as cold down here. Still gets cold enough to frost and kill all the grass.

The morning the shuttle blew up it was 22 degree's. I have seen 10 degree's at the farm which is north of central florida but not enough to call it north florida. That lasted for 3 days with a high of around 30. Water troughs frozen solid. Some folks don't seem to think it gets cold down here though.

TexasShooter, SF and myself are all within 30 miles of I-20 which puts us on about on the same latitude as Macon, GA. The cereal rye can stand the cold, but we do not normally get much growth from rye from mid December until early February. Oats and ryegrass growth will be much the same as the rye except they are not as cold tolerant.

Latest posts