Hung Buck

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy

Reaction score
Went to let my cows in the back pasture and there was a 7 point buck hung in the top two wires of my fence. Never had this happen so wasn't sure what to do called the sheriffs office they gave me the game wardens number called him. He came out shot it gutted it and took it to the butcher for a needy family. I was sad to see a young buck lose its life like this but glad he isn't going to waste, and some needy people are going to get some food to help them out. In all my years never seen a deer get hung like that but GW said it was pretty common.

Very common for deer got caught in the fence and I've seen few bucks has wire wrapped around the antlers. Once had a bear got caught w a barbed wire, had to called game warden to put the bear down and donated bear to a needy family. Big bear.

Kingfisher":hiy5rrvu said:
Hung by a back foot? Why didn't you spring him free?

Yes back foot.
He was kicking around, and leg was broke, bone was poking out. Wouldn't have done him much good hip was dislocated. Even if I could got him free he would of been coyote bait tonight. Better feed a family than coyotes.

We've got some pretty strict game laws here, but I don't think anybody would say anything if you went ahead and put one down like that.

I've seen one who didn't gauge the jump just right to be stuck in a bad postion. His life had left him but I couldn't help but be sad for some reason. I just didn't seem right.

Used to have a lease up around Harper, Tx and we found deer hung in a new fence several times per year. Old fence had a single barbed wire on the top and the new fence had two wires at the top. Deer will "kick" off the top wire when jumping the fence and sometimes they miss and the foot goes between the two top wires and it's all over with.

I've found quite a few dead over the years, and one button buck alive about 10 years ago. I snipped the fence and let him go, but apparently he had a lot of internal injuries. He couldn't walk and was still there 24 hours later, so I put him down. When I gutted him, his bladder was the size of a balloon.

Had a spotted fawn do that a couple of years ago. I managed to get to it and free it. It had some hide and all the hair worn off the leg from the knee down. Every year I see a doe while I'm hunting that has no hair on it's hind leg. I like to think that it's the one I got out of the fence. She usually has twins hanging around with her.

Where I used to work, every now and then I would find a dead fawn tangled in the bottom 3 wires of one of the fences. It was in a line of fence where all the wires were hot. I hated seeing it, becuase the babies were usually in a position where they could have been freed, but being stuck in the current didn't help them one bit.

Oh this thread is about deer? I thought someone was calling me out.. :oops:

Cows do it too. They can really wreck a fence when they get caught up. We cut a high dollar horse out of a fence when I was a kid.

Was told by an old timer that when a deer jumps over a fence his back legs are pointed toward the front, not extended out behind him. If they don't clear the fence the back legs will go under the top wire which is not good.

ROCKSPRINGS":3h2dpyed said:
Was told by an old timer that when a deer jumps over a fence his back legs are pointed toward the front, not extended out behind him. If they don't clear the fence the back legs will go under the top wire which is not good.
That's exactly right. They're pointed forward and a rear hoof goes between the top wire and the woven (in all the cases I've found). Once they hit the ground on the other side, they fence is twisted and they can't get out.

Found one like that few years ago. Back legs under top wire I got it out. It kicked me tried to bite me, heck of a ordeal. Hope it makes a state record.

My cousin found a big doe skewered on a steel t-post a few years ago. Had been there a while, rotting, he said he about puked. getting it off the post.

Latest posts