Big Buck

Help Support CattleToday:

inyati13

Reaction score
Returning on the ridge road yesterday in my big green tractor. Looked onto the ajoining ridge. Saw three deer. Went to the shop, got my Win 70 .270, Pre 64 custom with a Shilen SS match grade barrel. Could not decide on 22 or 24, so I split the difference and went with 23. Who else out there has that odd barrel length???
Went back, they were still there. Put my glasses on them and my blood pressure was popping in my ears. A doe, a forkhorn and the biggest whitetail I personally have seen alive. Blue was with me and I told him to stay. I slipped in to reduce the range between us. I came as close to killing Blue as I will ever come. He wanted to hunt too.
Dam, I hope I see him again.

TennesseeTuxedo":wji0mb3r said:
So Blue ran away?

Tux, that was funny.

My nephew heard the news about the big buck and hunted all day yesterday. Blue likes Dirk, so I stayed at the shop with Blue while Dirk hunted. He spent most the the day, sitting on his haunches, on "Lookout" looking in the direction Dirk was hunting. If you have ever noticed when you pass a farm that has Heelers, they spend much of their time watching in a certain direction. Blue sits on the side of the driveway and watches, the little Blacktop road that comes back Crockett Lane. But yesterday, he was on "Lookout for Dirk".

I wonder if this is a noted habit of Heelers? Since I have Blue, my interest in Heelers has grown. I look at them when I see them and notice their habits. Does anyone know if this "Lookout" habit is in their breeding?

Anne, I don't know how he would score. But he had wide , heavy beams and tall points. At least 8 or 10. I killed my bestest whitetail on the family farm in 1978. It was a 10 total point buck. This one was much bigger. Robertson County has the genes. On a yearly basis, the largest buck killed in KY per season, has been taken here several times in the last 50 years.

My 14 year old Grandgirl went on her first hunt. She hunted with a muzzle loader. Got her first buck an real nice 6 point and a huge doe. Not bad. Her Daddy is so proud he could bust. Actually we are all pretty proud of her. I cannot seem to get my pictures from my phone to here. But if you are on Facebook and want to see, pm me and I will give you my name to get on to it.....Actually I think maybe lurkers can even go there??? Not sure.

CKC1586":1s6ovtl9 said:
My 14 year old Grandgirl went on her first hunt. She hunted with a muzzle loader. Got her first buck an real nice 6 point and a huge doe. Not bad. Her Daddy is so proud he could bust. Actually we are all pretty proud of her. I cannot seem to get my pictures from my phone to here. But if you are on Facebook and want to see, pm me and I will give you my name to get on to it.....Actually I think maybe lurkers can even go there??? Not sure.
I saw them. Very nice.

tater74":34np00m0 said:
You know what they, "without pictures, it didn't happen". Let's see the picture and I'm not talking about the deer.

You have 3 pre '64 model 70's in 270?

I'm very jealous.

I can reduce your jealousness by 3. I see the problem. When I had my pre 64 action barreled, I sent it to Ed Shilen in Ennis, Texas. I could not decide on barrel length. 22 or 24. So I had Ed put a 23 inch barrel on the action. It was a SS match grade barrel, button rifled, in medium/light contour. They nickeled the action and jeweled the bolt. When Shilen puts a barrel on they also face-up the front of the bolt. Accuracy is a function of the co-axial alignment of the cartridge with the barrel. If a cartridge is not square with the bore, when the prijectile engages the riflings it is off center and does not establish harmony. Benchrest experts say it is like a tuning fork. If the barrel is not happy with the way the bullet engages it, accuracy goes out the window.

I have ONE pre 64 M70 .270, but it is a masterpiece! I have a Win 70 with the claw extractor made in later years to specifications that are actually an enhancement of the pre 64, it is a .375 H & H.

tater74":1bf87kud said:
OK, I mis-read your post. 270 is a sweet shooting cartridge. I have my dad's pre '64 that I treasure.

I enjoy your posts and your talking animals.
Thanks tater, you made my day. I enjoy those talking animals too. Do you remember the writer Jack O'conner? He made the .270 Win famous and he was a big pre 64 fan. Thanks again.

Inyati, Eli is the first blue heeler I've ever owned and I've noticed the same thing about him and his "watching". Not to highjack the thread but this sortof goes along with your question. Eli, like Blue, loves to hunt. Sometimes he wants to cut through the chase and get things moving too quickly not understanding we must be patient but he's learning when he does this he doesn't get to go hunting with me so he is getting better.

When I pull the rifle out of the truck he gets all excited and starts looking in the distance for deer. For the most part he does really good and will sit right there with me not making a sound. But to get to the purpose of my intrusion I noticed something really interesting with him the other day when we were hunting. We got started a little early and as we were walking to the stand I told him he better behave else I'd put him in the barn. He healed the whole way to the stand then jumped in the stand and took his seat. The comfortable one. The one I had planned on sitting in but he left me with a hard wooden chair. Anyway, he looked at me with this odd look and curled up in the seat and fell asleep. I sat there for about an hour and saw nothing then all of a sudden his nose got to moving funny and he sat up at attention and began "watching" intently out over the field as if he knew something was there. Here is a picture I snapped of him and you can tell he is studying something hard.

After about 20 minutes of this and nothing showed, he curled back up and went back to sleep. The sun was just a few inches off the trees when he suddenly sat up again and got in the same pose. It was so abrupt it startled me out of my mindless daze. I began looking close as well. A minute or so passed when a doe stepped out 230 yards from us. He watched it with pure covetous want. It walked further in the field then a six point buck stepped out and followed her. She ran a bit as if playing hard to get then stopped and looked back at the buck and gave him a taunting hard to get gaze. This brought back memories of soreness in my younger days so I put one in her neck and she fell to the ground. I told Eli to fetch and he ran out and was happily lapping the wonderful red stuff when I reached him.

I don't know if this is just him or the breed but I'm beginning to think its the breed and the characteristic of them to bond so closely to a certain person they learn the ropes so to speak. If only I could teach him to climb a ladder stand he would be in heaven.

Our red healer likes to hunt. He is always after some thing. He will tree squirrels and has treed several coon. He will also tree most any thing else he sees in a tree or a power pole. He won't bark just whines. Be a little much to think he would stay still for very long..

Or you could be in a box stand taking a nap Jo. All you need to do is teach Eli to wake you up when he see's a deer.

Highgrit, he's not much at making noises but he does sometimes let out a soft growl when he senses them. He loves deer season cause he knows he gets the legs and he's hides them everywhere around the farm and when he's hungry or bored he retrieves one from his stash. He's also good at trailing wounded deer. If there is the least bit of blood he'll find it but I've noticed if the deer isn't to be had he will just give you this look after a bit of searching letting you know you are a failure and need to step up the game. The thing you have to be careful with though is that if he finds a deer that's been shot then in his mind that deer is his and you need to use caution approaching the deer or trying to touch it without his permission.

Once I was with him and he started chasing a hog and turned the hog back toward me. He ran the hog by me twice and as the two ran by me he just gives me this look like "shoot the sob" but I didn't have a firearm. Come to think of it, I've let him down twice like that. He has such high expectations of me because he forgets I'm only human. ;-)

Red Bull Breeder":238cj226 said:
Our red healer likes to hunt. He is always after some thing. He will tree squirrels and has treed several coon. He will also tree most any thing else he sees in a tree or a power pole. He won't bark just whines. Be a little much to think he would stay still for very long..

Doesn't matter what species. It just has to be red with you, doesn't it? :lol2:

Jogeephus":1qtpxc4e said:
Inyati, Eli is the first blue heeler I've ever owned and I've noticed the same thing about him and his "watching". Not to highjack the thread but this sortof goes along with your question. Eli, like Blue, loves to hunt. Sometimes he wants to cut through the chase and get things moving too quickly not understanding we must be patient but he's learning when he does this he doesn't get to go hunting with me so he is getting better.

When I pull the rifle out of the truck he gets all excited and starts looking in the distance for deer. For the most part he does really good and will sit right there with me not making a sound. But to get to the purpose of my intrusion I noticed something really interesting with him the other day when we were hunting. We got started a little early and as we were walking to the stand I told him he better behave else I'd put him in the barn. He healed the whole way to the stand then jumped in the stand and took his seat. The comfortable one. The one I had planned on sitting in but he left me with a hard wooden chair. Anyway, he looked at me with this odd look and curled up in the seat and fell asleep. I sat there for about an hour and saw nothing then all of a sudden his nose got to moving funny and he sat up at attention and began "watching" intently out over the field as if he knew something was there. Here is a picture I snapped of him and you can tell he is studying something hard.

After about 20 minutes of this and nothing showed, he curled back up and went back to sleep. The sun was just a few inches off the trees when he suddenly sat up again and got in the same pose. It was so abrupt it startled me out of my mindless daze. I began looking close as well. A minute or so passed when a doe stepped out 230 yards from us. He watched it with pure covetous want. It walked further in the field then a six point buck stepped out and followed her. She ran a bit as if playing hard to get then stopped and looked back at the buck and gave him a taunting hard to get gaze. This brought back memories of soreness in my younger days so I put one in her neck and she fell to the ground. I told Eli to fetch and he ran out and was happily lapping the wonderful red stuff when I reached him.

I don't know if this is just him or the breed but I'm beginning to think its the breed and the characteristic of them to bond so closely to a certain person they learn the ropes so to speak. If only I could teach him to climb a ladder stand he would be in heaven.

I took DD once this year to see what would happen, she was laying on the shelf in the box blind so she could see.
She was watching the woods and I figured she would make a great early detection device as she only low growls when she sees a deer.
Everything was going great until she saw a couple of fox squirrels under the feeder then the box exploded with 18 pounds of Jack Russell out of control. She hasn't figured it out yet, Ole Rube seemed to know what we were hunting and how to appropriately act.
Now when I kill a deer and hang it the second I start to skin she goes into full attack mode as this is a monster that needs to be dealt with.
If it is laying on the ground no big deal to her. They are smarter than we give them credit. I don't know that she will ever be able to go on the deer hunts with me as squirrel just makes her mind explode.

Jogeephus":20pd58h2 said:
Highgrit, he's not much at making noises but he does sometimes let out a soft growl when he senses them. He loves deer season cause he knows he gets the legs and he's hides them everywhere around the farm and when he's hungry or bored he retrieves one from his stash. He's also good at trailing wounded deer. If there is the least bit of blood he'll find it but I've noticed if the deer isn't to be had he will just give you this look after a bit of searching letting you know you are a failure and need to step up the game. The thing you have to be careful with though is that if he finds a deer that's been shot then in his mind that deer is his and you need to use caution approaching the deer or trying to touch it without his permission.

Once I was with him and he started chasing a hog and turned the hog back toward me. He ran the hog by me twice and as the two ran by me he just gives me this look like "shoot the sob" but I didn't have a firearm. Come to think of it, I've let him down twice like that. He has such high expectations of me because he forgets I'm only human. ;-)

I enjoyed that Jo. Eli looks like Blue, but Blue has a slightly longer snout. I enjoy watching for expressions and emotions in Blue. Sometimes he likes to look away as if he is in a stare. It is his way of dealing with my nonsense.

If I want to tease him, I do this: When he comes to me all happy for attention, instead of giving him attention, I suddenly go into a stare like he did something wrong. His body language totally changes, he freezes and looks at me with the stillest possible focus as if to communicate the question, "Geez Ron, what in the he$$ did I do wrong now?" Then I laugh and he relaxes and goes back to happy mode.

I don't know if you have seen Blue:
If I were tramming the dozer from one spot to another, I would let him ride. He has his seat in the Utility vehicle just like you said Eli does in the blind. When he rides in the pick-up, he sits as close to me as he can almost like a girl dating a young lad.
20f6j4h.jpg

Here he is as a pup. He was 3 on August 27. He is registered as "Blue Licks Dingo."
167797p.jpg

tater74":2sauhaek said:
You know what they, "without pictures, it didn't happen". Let's see the picture and I'm not talking about the deer.

You have 3 pre '64 model 70's in 270?

I'm very jealous.
Well, I cannot get pictures from my phone to here..... There are pictures on FB.