Humpty dumpty

Help Support CattleToday:

Since my arrival in N Carolina most of the cattle I have seen are good quality angus and herefords on pastures utilising pig slurry. I have raised cattle for export under conditions far more extreme than anything I have seen here. By using Tuli cattle as my uniform adapted breed, I produced grass fed steers for an export contract, with the option of producing larger framed F1 steers for feedlot finishing. the solution then, is to breed adapted medium framed cattle in harsh climates giving a uniform base from which hybrid finisher cattle can be bred for the feedlots without compromising quality.

So I have read all of this interesting arguements on part of the United States cattle are better...

Trying to figure out what kindof cattle I have. If the South has poor cattle and the North has Excellent Cattle with me living in Iowa do I have the cattle that are just right? Kind of like the three little bears I was thinking.

Probably wasn't appropriate just trying to lighten the mood.

Love dearly,
Neutral at WAR

Crowderfarms":3mx1uh05 said:
I am going to say a few things at the risk of being Challenged. I dont know if this a regional thing or national, but many want their cattle to work for them, but put no work in their cattle. Poor management practices, such as no Structural management plan.ie: Vaccinations, De-worming, proper Minerals, Forage Quality,Fly Control, proper feeding in Winter, and most of all improper selection of Bulls.Folks want to get top dollar at the sale Barn, and dont want to make even a minimal investment, to produce quality cattle. I have seen this first hand, even with high prices, monies are not being re-invested back into Herd Improvement. It's the cheapest, not the best products wanted, kind of like a Wal-Mart attitude, but with cattle.

Very well said

SF":3swlqblx said:
Crowderfarms":3swlqblx said:
I am going to say a few things at the risk of being Challenged. I dont know if this a regional thing or national, but many want their cattle to work for them, but put no work in their cattle. Poor management practices, such as no Structural management plan.ie: Vaccinations, De-worming, proper Minerals, Forage Quality,Fly Control, proper feeding in Winter, and most of all improper selection of Bulls.Folks want to get top dollar at the sale Barn, and dont want to make even a minimal investment, to produce quality cattle. I have seen this first hand, even with high prices, monies are not being re-invested back into Herd Improvement. It's the cheapest, not the best products wanted, kind of like a Wal-Mart attitude, but with cattle.

Very well said

Totally agree as there are not bad cattle just poor managers.

So, Boys tell me how we are to co-exist with the "Poor Managers?" It's like working at a big company, some will do their jobs, others will not, but the wheels still turn, are we to pick up the slack for the Slackers? OR are we the one's rewarded with the bigger checks when we sell?Again, it leads to an age old question, why have Cattle at all, IF you're not going to strive to push quality and management full throttle?

I have been selling my commercial calves at a premium weaned sale. Vet certified pre-con VAC 45 program. Average about 7.5 to 15 per better.

Scotty

Crowderfarms":17t8m7l9 said:
So, Boys tell me how we are to co-exist with the "Poor Managers?" It's like working at a big company, some will do their jobs, others will not, but the wheels still turn, are we to pick up the slack for the Slackers? OR are we the one's rewarded with the bigger checks when we sell?Again, it leads to an age old question, why have Cattle at all, IF you're not going to strive to push quality and management full throttle?

I have always believed that the people with GOOD cattle are being paid less because of all the BAD cattle out there on the market. The buyers of weaned calves coming through the auction barn are paying almost the same money for the GOOD and BAD alike. (Have even seen some mistreated ones bring more per lb -because they are lighter and stand to gain more.)

The "Poor Managers" don't have working facilities, the knowledge, or the resources to properly manage a herd of cattle. And don't care to do better. They simply rob the calves off every year and run them to the auction barn for a little extra cash.

The only way I know to avert this situation now is to feed your own cattle and sell them on the grid. Then you KNOW what you have.

Maybe Mandatory ID will run some of them out of business.

Well, I've got to agree that I think Northern cattle are better, especially after you get north of the US border. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Relax, boys, I'm joking. Seriously, though, the problem is that there are alot of producers who are raising cattle because they want a few lawn ornaments or are looking for tax write offs and that's true no matter where you go in Canada or the US. Right now, plain cattle up here are getting big discounts and so it really pays to have the better, uniform genetics in your herd. The hobbyists are not into the 'continuous improvement' mode are suffering compared to the people who are on the cutting edge with their genetics.
Anyway, If it wasn't for those southern brahma cattle, where would McDonalds get that cheap, water injected hamburger from? All beef has a market. Its just that some of those markets aren't as lucrative as others.

Let's don't get carried away here by wanting to run them out of business. Freedom to build better herds, to manage your herd better, also allows some to do just the opposite. We can't all raise the same cattle nor can we all have the same management plan. We can't all be seedstock producers, nor can we all be commerical operations.

The marketplace with drive some breeders to do better. Consitency and predictability will pay more and I believe that the disparity (price) between predicatable versus non predictable cattle will continue to increase over the coming years. Consumers are demanding better, and therefore packers and buyers are too.

JMO

Face it folks, until the market is willing to pay for better gentics, an programs like Vac-45 like Scottys using very few producers are going to bother. When we hit the down side of the cattle market all us may have to use Vac-45 programs.

Now at 10 cent a pound extra for Vac 45 calfs, a 600 pound animals is going to bring $ 60 extra over a sale barn calf. So for $60 dollars you are going to hold the calf longer, do all the shots dehorning and feeding for 45 days. Thats going to eat into $60 quickly, oh by the way add your labor, and fuel when you do the work up.... Anybody see where I am going with this. Personally I would sell at a lighter weight straight of the cow, and that way I can run more cows per acre, have more calves and make a higher profit per acre.

Farmer Kevin":1me0lxad said:
So I have read all of this interesting arguements on part of the United States cattle are better...

Trying to figure out what kindof cattle I have. If the South has poor cattle and the North has Excellent Cattle with me living in Iowa do I have the cattle that are just right? Kind of like the three little bears I was thinking.

Probably wasn't appropriate just trying to lighten the mood.

Love dearly,
Neutral at WAR

Your right in the middle. I've seen some excellent cattle in Iowa and I've seen some really, really, really crappy ones.

OK just one question to ya'll that dont like our southern cattle and I can only speak for my herd.... If my Cattle are so bad why do I have repeat buyers from the west buying my cattle yr after yr?

houstoncutter":1tbikpor said:
Face it folks, until the market is willing to pay for better gentics, an programs like Vac-45 like Scottys using very few producers are going to bother. When we hit the down side of the cattle market all us may have to use Vac-45 programs.

Now at 10 cent a pound extra for Vac 45 calfs, a 600 pound animals is going to bring $ 60 extra over a sale barn calf. So for $60 dollars you are going to hold the calf longer, do all the shots dehorning and feeding for 45 days. Thats going to eat into $60 quickly, oh by the way add your labor, and fuel when you do the work up.... Anybody see where I am going with this. Personally I would sell at a lighter weight straight of the cow, and that way I can run more cows per acre, have more calves and make a higher profit per acre.

Here in east Texas, I have seen buyers with orders for calves like yours to be put through a vac-45 preconditioning program and then resold at a vac-45 sale. You need to keep the calves 60 to 75 days, BUT they are making it work and making money.

In the south, we need to be better managers and work on the health aspect of our cattle. There are feeders who know how to manage our eared cattle. As for as uniformity goes, it will be difficult to do with as many small herds as we have in the south. In my county, there are over 2000 farms that raise beef cattle with an average herd size of 33 head. Nearly every kind and breed and crosses of breeds is used. The only way to get the uniformity of the large northern ranches would be to all use the same breed of bull and to agree to a calving season and take bulls out of the pasture. Most small operators due not have a small pasture to keep the bull seperate from the cows for 9 months of the year.

BC":715jtk9j said:
houstoncutter":715jtk9j said:

Here in east Texas, I have seen buyers with orders for calves like yours to be put through a vac-45 preconditioning program and then resold at a vac-45 sale. You need to keep the calves 60 to 75 days, BUT they are making it work and making money.

In the south, we need to be better managers and work on the health aspect of our cattle. There are feeders who know how to manage our eared cattle. As for as uniformity goes, it will be difficult to do with as many small herds as we have in the south. In my county, there are over 2000 farms that raise beef cattle with an average herd size of 33 head. Nearly every kind and breed and crosses of breeds is used. The only way to
  • get the uniformity of the large northern ranches would be to all use the same breed of bull and to agree to a calving season and take bulls out of the pasture. Most small
operators due not have a small pasture to keep the bull seperate from the cows for 9 months of the year.
thats what its coming too soon we will most likely all be working for some packing plant making cookie cutters

WORANCH":3jx7uhvg said:
IMG0260.jpg

Tape I see alot of cattle like this down south . Do you like her ?
Who's cow is this :?:

Chuckie":2v1vb7is said:
ALACOWMAN
Do a right mouse click on the picture, and then click on properties on the bottom of the menu. The name will appear in the address of the picture.

:eek: If this is the correct way to find out the name of the owner then that explains why he didn't answer the question if he liked her or not. :shock:

Thanks fellers thats all i needed to know. and he wants to talk about humpty dumpty. just leave the humpty part out and look what we have. she's just a bulging forehead shy of a dwarf :hat:

THIS COW BELONGS TO THE GUY TALKING ABOUT SOUTHERN CATTLE BEING INFERIOR???????????????????????????????????
(Yes I meant to shout)

What's so funny about it is he has the balls to post a picture of her. Tape..........you got nerve.
:roll: :shock: :?: 8)

MikeC":1gab288u said:
THIS COW BELONGS TO THE GUY TALKING ABOUT SOUTHERN CATTLE BEING INFERIOR???????????????????????????????????
(Yes I meant to shout)

What's so funny about it is he has the balls to post a picture of her. Tape..........you got nerve.
:roll: :shock: :?: 8)
Yall dont remember this picture being posted a while back, when he was dared to show pics of his Cattle? Sure does'nt look any better than any cattle you'll see in the South does she?

Latest posts