Hubs heating up.

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Brand New 2019 35' float. Dexter 12000 pound axles. Only got a few hundred miles on it. I just happened to feel a hub the other day and it was warm. I have a older almost identical trailer , the hubs stay ambient temperature no matter what I'm pulling.
Anyway I started checking every 20 miles or so with a ir thermometer. 3 hubs running around 100 degrees +-. One is running around 130+-. It's not a brake the drum is cooler than the hub.
Manufacturer is telling me there's a break in period on the bearing. don't worry about it. Does that sound right to anyone.

IF it is like everything I get they probably have a spoon full of grease in them. Do they have grease zerks or have you pulled a wheel drum off to check for grease as the dealer should take care of that? Also another thing to consider is most bearings are made in China and these companies, to save a few bucks, will cut on bearings quality. I have seen this happen a lot as it makes a bigger bonus for the CEO. I could see the bearings getting warm especially loaded, but not hot unless a lot of trailer braking heats them up and as far as a break in period a hot bearing doesn't break in it just degrades with heat. THe 130 degree hub bearing would be concerning to me.

Sounds like there's a problem somewhere and the dealer doesn't want to sell you another trailer anytime soon. You need to check it out before something happens and your screwed up for a day or two.

Did you contact Dexter or trailer Man? I assume oil bath. I have one with 10000 axels only heat now or when new was brakes

There is no "break in period", there's a problem, and you're going to have to tear it down. Chinese bearings SUCK, and that's probably the issue.

If the oil is at normal level I would say there is a problem. I feel the hubs on my 36' from time to time and normally they are at ambient as you say. The only time I felt one a little warmer than the rest I thought to myself need to check that out. Couple days later my neighbor borrowed that trailer and the hub that was running warmer went out on him with a load of hay on the trailer. They replaced the hub, bearings, and breaks on that axle to get it going again. Not sure what it cost but it had to be fairly expensive. Tried to pay them back but they kept saying "we use the trailer more than you do".

When I had a Gator one got hot when new. Ended up unhooking breaks on that wheel no more problems. Sure was glad to see that turd leave

my trucks rear pass. brake was locked up.. i just drove with it like that for a while since iw as so busy.. ended up replacing it. it wore clear through the entire pad and was eating the caliper pistons.. not sure thats going to be able to be re-manufactured.. lol

snoopdog said:
There is no "break in period", there's a problem, and you're going to have to tear it down. Chinese bearings SUCK, and that's probably the issue.
"Chinese bearings SUCK"...............opinion! Try Seiko. Designed in Japan, made in China, finest bearing you ever put in your hand or your equipment.
-----------------
How are the bearings secured/ If like front axles and other roller bearing applications where the installer sets the tension, being too tight can do it and with only one getting warmer than the others, I'd at least check for that.

Before we get too far here.. are they just over torqued?.. some moron reading ft lbs instead of inch pounds with the torque wrench (the bearing nuts of course, not wheel nuts)

Texasmark said:
snoopdog said:
"Chinese bearings SUCK"...............opinion! Try Seiko. Designed in Japan, made in China, finest bearing you ever put in your hand or your equipment. You are correct, my opinion based on my experience, I don't know if any were Seiko.
-----------------
How are the bearings secured/ If like front axles and other roller bearing applications where the installer sets the tension, being too tight can do it and with only one getting warmer than the others, I'd at least check for that.

Latest posts