How to stop a cow from jumping over a fence

Help Support CattleToday:

CattleHand

Reaction score
We did this a while back and just wanted to share it because it wasn't somethign I would of came up with on my own.

While working for my grandpa last summer we had a cow that had gotten into a nasty habit of jumping fences. She was a pretty testy cow that you could tell was always planning her escape route whe you were trying to pen her. One day we loaded her up and put her through the chute. My grandpa had me cut a branch that was in the shape of a Y with the bottom part being thick and not too long. We put the Y onto her neck and ran a piece of bailin wire through a hose and tied it on. Her neck with into the fork part and the wire went above her neck. The hose helped the wire not to dig into her so much. Then loaded her back up and put her back from the pasture she belonged. The branch weighed her head down enough to where she couldnt jump over a fence but she coudl still eat and such. A few days later (im not sure how long her left it on) he loaded her up and cut the wire off. It worked.

Thought he was a smart man for coming up with that and just wanted to share.

An old trick. Back when , a lot of years back when everyone even in the small towns had one to six or eight cows most were jersey crosses or jerseys you would see that on many cows. Were called yokes.
Looking back you realize now why they were going over or under the fences, they were looking for groceries. All they had was sage grass and brush to eat.

You've got more patience than I do. She'd be in the meat locker if I owned her.

cfpinz":1vrx8u63 said:

Life's too short to put up with crazy cattle. I always feel so good driving home with an empty trailer after I get rid of one that won't behave.

jkwilson":3dqte0y7 said:
cfpinz":3dqte0y7 said:

Life's too short to put up with crazy cattle. I always feel so good driving home with an empty trailer after I get rid of one that won't behave.

:nod: :nod: :nod:

jkwilson":nzrbpy0m said:
cfpinz":nzrbpy0m said:

when its that easy to fix them and the raise a good calf its worth the time and money. :nod:

CattleHand":32naw9r7 said:
when its that easy to fix them and the raise a good calf its worth the time and money. :nod:

I'll bet she shows her ass again. She knows she can jump and when she's pressured enough or is cornered, instinct will kick in.

cfpinz":spxe5kjg said:
I'll bet she shows her ass again. She knows she can jump and when she's pressured enough or is cornered, instinct will kick in.
To my memory it worked actually. Id say most cows will try to jump when you pressure them enough. This one was just jumping over to eat grass on the other side or god knows what. But your right, some people would rather sell her. For us this was our prefered method.

I have used yokes on goats and cows but it was to keep them from crawling through or under fences. I hadnt used one to keep a cow from going over a fence, but I can see how it would work. For going over a fence for a bull or cow, I have used a nose ring with about 18 inches of chain hanging from it. When he cant get that over the top wire, he doesnt jump

I have a metal one around here that was made for hogs. Them old timers didn't just run to sale barn with something that was giving them trouble they figured out a way to fix it.

We have an extreme problem. Yes, our bull is a fence jumper - but has, for now, only jumped our fences to go to other pastures. HOWEVER, when we tried to trailer him to have him castrated, he jumped out of the chute and now won't get near it.

We are 95% certain he is infertile - thank goodness - as he is unregistered jumping in with our registered cows. HOWEVER, if he is fertile OR jumps one of our exterior fences, we don't know what to do since we can't load him to take him to the sale barn, or for processing.

Electric fence will not work - he flat foots over fencing, panels, gates without damage - we've seen him! Other than being a good high jumper - what do we do with him? We are thinking of extinguishing him in the pasture, but hate to waste the meat. Can we field dress him there - he is close to a ton, though!

Thanks!

If he's as bad as you say he is... around here a call to the local "cowboys" and they'd have him roped and at the salebarn in no time.

I agree with the local cowboys. Me and my brother went all over our part of the world Catching wild cows back in the80's and 90's. Lots of fun. Young and dumb back then.

We have a lead on some cowboys - so how do we get him in the trailer - or will they be able to do that?

sudonsan":1q77dbnb said:
We have a lead on some cowboys - so how do we get him in the trailer - or will they be able to do that?
They live for times like this. Just be ready to load.

M5farm you were NOT DUMB, When I was younger we used to have cattle in big pastures and a long ways from a corral, we used to lease these pastures so it was a heck of a lot less stress on me and the beef we needed than building a catch pen where it would not be ours. Good luck 101

Latest posts