How to siphon gas

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Ok, guys maybe you can help. I am sitting here with 3 cars full of gas, and yes they are late models. The trucks are diseal, so I cant run my generators on it. I have tried to get the hoses of different sizes down in the tank and am having no luck. So any of you guys know away to get at the gas. Excuse the spelling, but as I sit here at 11oo at night and sweating like a pig the spelling is going to he** When I get some juice other than the generators I have a few pics of hay tarps that covered my hay, and they are still there after the storm. Unbelieveable, wish my barn would have held up as well. Thanks

no help here. we have an old water hose (they used to make them narrower--i guess they still do somewhere). one of those tubes on a dewormer would work if it was long enough and you could get it clean enough to blow on or have a son in law handy (lol). or if you happened to have a tube like they tube a horse with that is colicking (our vet used a waterhose then too) or one of those that you clean out an aquarium with.

Sorry not much help from here either. I have been unsuccessful at getting fuel out of cars since they started putting those little flaps in there. If you have a small enough hose you might be able to work it down into the tank. It will be slow but better than nothing. The only other thing to do would be to drop the tank.

flaboy":1ip3euny said:
Sorry not much help from here either. I have been unsuccessful at getting fuel out of cars since they started putting those little flaps in there. If you have a small enough hose you might be able to work it down into the tank. It will be slow but better than nothing. The only other thing to do would be to drop the tank.
OR, if you feel adventurous, Fire up the Oxy-Acetyline torch and cut a hole in bottom of the tank, refill the hole with Gorilla Hair, and Screen Cloth. Works everytime. Let us know how it worked...

if your car is a model with the fuel filter underneath on the frame you could unhook the line and drain it in a can

brokenmouth":37jvz2yr said:
if your car is a model with the fuel filter underneath on the frame you could unhook the line and drain it in a can

Good idea brokenmouth. I tried that once and then forgot that I had an electric fuel pump in the tank. You will have to turn the key on to get the pump in the tank to run. Now if you have a really old model that still have the mechanical pump on the motor, just disconnect the output fuel line and spin the motor over.

Oh and Dun, no they don't have drain plugs anymore. :(

I think a lot of the newer model cars have some sort of anti-siphon mechanism in the tanks. I would go for the fuel pump line, might be easier then trying to siphon the gas out. What about your lawn mower? I know it wouldn't be much but you could get that gas out pretty easily.

dun":31hkb2a4 said:
Don;t they have drain plugs on the bottom of them anymore?

dun

Some import cars do but not the BIG THREE. You could undo the fuel filter and jump the fuel pump relay and get fuel that way but sounds like a hose is the way to go. Could IF it has a plastic tank drill small hole in it and plug hole with screw and RTV. Just some thoughts. (NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY ACCIDENTS) BE CAREFULL.JHH

Gotta share this since Crowder likes my stories.

Years and many years ago my brother (god rest his soul) and I went a bought one of the original Jeepsters. It had been sitting in the woods so long the weeds and bushes were higher than the top and rust had gotten most of it. We just wanted the motor to put in an old Willis Jeep we had. Well we it home pulled the motor and took a torch to it cut it up small enough to haul off in pieces. My brother was in there going to town and I asked him about the gas tank. He said "hell it didn't even have a cap on it". He said this just before it blew up. He got some burns, I couldn't hear out of my left ear for about three days and I got cut on flying metal. I would never have believed it if I hadn't lived it.

flaboy":2i7cx1i2 said:
Gotta share this since Crowder likes my stories.

Years and many years ago my brother (god rest his soul) and I went a bought one of the original Jeepsters. It had been sitting in the woods so long the weeds and bushes were higher than the top and rust had gotten most of it. We just wanted the motor to put in an old Willis Jeep we had. Well we it home pulled the motor and took a torch to it cut it up small enough to haul off in pieces. My brother was in there going to town and I asked him about the gas tank. He said "hell it didn't even have a cap on it". He said this just before it blew up. He got some burns, I couldn't hear out of my left ear for about three days and I got cut on flying metal. I would never have believed it if I hadn't lived it.
Guess it's safe to figure it's still not your everyday driver.? :shock: I had a great experience about 10 years ago. I was burning some brush on a place we bought, and in an old shed was a cider bottle (looked older than dirt)labeled "Kerosene" It smelled like stale gas,I poured it on the edge of the brush pile and threw a match to it. I think it was JP-4. It blew me about 6 feet in the air. I ran to my truck mirror. thinking I would be permamnently disfigured. Only had minor facial burns.Moral to the story is: You gonna be dumb, better be tough.

Moral to the story is: You gonna be dumb, better be tough.

Crowder, Great Moral! I'm gonna use in on my teenage son who once stuck a burning stick into a can of gasoline "just to see what'd happen"! Thank God, he only got cinged (sp) and not seriously hurt. He still won't admit it, but I think it scared the **** out of him!

Of course, he didn't learn a lot from it because that's just one of the many dumb things he's done just to see what the outcome would be!

A6gal":86kvm96c said:
Moral to the story is: You gonna be dumb, better be tough.

Crowder, Great Moral! I'm gonna use in on my teenage son who once stuck a burning stick into a can of gasoline "just to see what'd happen"! Thank God, he only got cinged (sp) and not seriously hurt. He still won't admit it, but I think it scared the **** out of him!

Of course, he didn't learn a lot from it because that's just one of the many dumb things he's done just to see what the outcome would be!
A6gal, go right ahead. All it usually takes is one good scare. The second episode may not count...or be as lucky as the first.

maybe my cars are different. everyone I've had has a rubber hose connecting the tank to the fill spigot. I take the hose loose at the spigot and run the feed hose down it. It's trouble but if you need the gas....

Not wishing to age myself anymore then I already have, but when did they quit putting drain plugs in fuel tanks?

dun

I'm pretty sure it's been since the 70's at least

Latest posts