How to sell a steer for beef?

Help Support CattleToday:

bhooper

Reaction score
I have a friend wanting a steer for beef and I don't know how to price it because his family is going to process it themselves however they won't actually know the hanging carcass weight. How would you decide how much to charge? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Just set a price per pound on the hoof. You can look and see what the fat cows are bringing or just set your own price.

What you are saying, the live weight or the hanging weight is not known, and you are wanting to know how to price, is that correct?
Are their any public scales in the area like a feed mill or cotton gin where you weight the truck,trailer and calf then go back and weight empty to get the calf weight, or someone in the area might have cattle scales, if none of these are available you have to guess a weight and price per hundred and determine a fair price per head.

Price it at the fair market value for top steers. Tell him to take it or leave it. if he is a friend he should not take advantage of you nor you of him.

cowboy43":1p6fl8gg said:
What you are saying, the live weight or the hanging weight is not known, and you are wanting to know how to price, is that correct?
Are their any public scales in the area like a feed mill or cotton gin where you weight the truck,trailer and calf then go back and weight empty to get the calf weight, or someone in the area might have cattle scales, if none of these are available you have to guess a weight and price per hundred and determine a fair price per head.

Yes that is how I was planning on weighing the calf.

backhoeboogie":1p6fl8gg said:
Price it at the fair market value for top steers. Tell him to take it or leave it. if he is a friend he should not take advantage of you nor you of him.

That is why I was asking, I am trying to be fair. So you wouldn't ask for 10 or 20 more cents per pound for the fact that they know exactly where it is coming from and the value of it coming straight off the farm?

That is a question, that is between you and your conscience , if you were in the business of selling directly off the farm and asking more for your stock, I would do so, but if I sold at the auction and had to pay commission to sell, I would figure the commisssion saved as extra profit. if it cost you extra time and efford to weight the calf you might figure that in selling price, If you have to ask this question, my gut felling is you will not charge above market value.

$1.30/lb live weight is a fair price on a direct sale off the farm given current prices at the sale barn. Or $2.10-2.25 (depending on dressing percentage of your genetics) on the rail if customer pays kill charge.

Either way get an accurate weight, not an eyeball. Guesses are often far off in cattle weights.

Jim

SRBeef":34vjzlj9 said:
Either way get an accurate weight, not an eyeball. Guesses are often far off in cattle weights.

Jim

Some times I get close. There was that time 3 years ago...........:lol:

Latest posts