How to properly cook a frozen duck.

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
(I want it for New Years dinner--and the most simple will probably work best)

Yeah, I know--thaw it out first.
Then what?

Cut up in cubes marinate in olive oil and spices for at least 30 min. Heat your spider med high brown cubes . They should be med rare. As far as cooking a whole duck I don't have a clue.

Preheat your oven to 350. Coat the duck in oil garlic salt pepper. Place on cedar plank Blake until 175. Let rest. Throw out duck eat cedar plank

Shoot or buy more ducks.......:). Stuff duck full of chorizo sausage
A whole diced onion and a couple of celery sticks. Rub outside of duck w
Cajun spice and cracked pepper. Put in oven at 350 and pray
For more ducks soon.

hillsdown":3ps8b6l4 said:
The key to a great roast duck is that the skin has to be a very deep golden brown and SUPER CRISPY .
This seems to be the general consensus.
I never realized they had so much fat but I guess all waterfowl have to have to stay warm on cold water.
This look like a good method?
http://thetravellingchopsticks.wordpres ... ispy-skin/
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/1 ... ispy-skin/

Looks like a lot of work--anyone got a better way---that doesn't end up all greasy?

greybeard":4035a8c1 said:
Looks like a lot of work--anyone got a better way---that doesn't end up all greasy?
We used to just stuff them with cut up apples and cook them on a rack that kept them an inch or 2 above the bottom of the pan. The grease stayed well below them. Same way we cooked goose.

We have duck every year for New Year's eve, mine is thawing in the fridge as I type.

400 F oven. Rinse inside and out and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper, then stuff with a quartered orange and a quartered medium onion. Truss and put breast side up on a rack in an open roasting pan and put in oven. After 15 minutes reduce to 325 F and roast for 2-3 hours (depends on size of bird) until meat thermometer reads about 180F. Serve with plum or orange sauce, don't use the packet that comes with it (ick). I prefer plum sauce as leftovers taste great over ice cream.

redcowsrule33":117pfnz2 said:
We have duck every year for New Year's eve, mine is thawing in the fridge as I type.

400 F oven. Rinse inside and out and pat dry. Sprinkle cavity with salt and pepper, then stuff with a quartered orange and a quartered medium onion. Truss and put breast side up on a rack in an open roasting pan and put in oven. After 15 minutes reduce to 325 F and roast for 2-3 hours (depends on size of bird) until meat thermometer reads about 180F. Serve with plum or orange sauce, don't use the packet that comes with it (ick). I prefer plum sauce as leftovers taste great over ice cream.

Its been a long time but I did the same but used mandrian oranges. It was very good.

I know most will likely disagree with me, but I don't think there is any way to properly cook a whole duck.
When roasted whole, the breasts will end up overcooked and tough. The thigh/leg will be tough because it hasn't cooked long enough to break down connective tissue. So I always quater mine.

The breasts are best prepared like a steak...seared on a hot grill or cast iron pan, & served med/med.rare. They'll be super flavorful and tender. Just slightly slash thru the skin, but not all the way thru the fat layer. most of the fat will render off.

Thigh/leg quarters are best when cooked long, slow & low. Think chuck roast. I usually do mine in a crock pot for about 6 hours in an apricot or plum based sauce. They'll be fall apart tender and very flavorful.

The only times I've ever thought it was really good when cooked whole it had been deep fried. It was really very good. I can't help much on directions for that though as I've never prepared it that way because I don't deep fry.

greybeard":twgszfg8 said:
hillsdown":twgszfg8 said:
The key to a great roast duck is that the skin has to be a very deep golden brown and SUPER CRISPY .
This seems to be the general consensus.
I never realized they had so much fat but I guess all waterfowl have to have to stay warm on cold water.
This look like a good method?
http://thetravellingchopsticks.wordpres ... ispy-skin/
http://www.thehungrymouse.com/2009/02/1 ... ispy-skin/

Looks like a lot of work--anyone got a better way---that doesn't end up all greasy?[/quote]

Throw a turkey in with it in the same roaster , turkey gets super juicy and duck is fantastic. ;-)

To keep it from being greasy roast it on a raised rack in the pan. Wil duck an inch high rack works fine, for store bought you would probably need 2 or 3 inches. I've never eaten domestic duck but they sure seem fatty to me.

I ended up giving that duck to my sister--dunno what she did with it, but I cooked one tonight.......
Roasted it in the oven on a rack in a roasting pan. Ya'll coulda warned me it was gonna stink up the whole house, and to cover the pan otherwise all that fat spatters all over the inside of the oven. It had a "distinctive" taste but good lawd that thing was greasy. Next time, I'll follow Hook's directions.
Dog did enjoy the innards and the neck tho.

When I lived in New Mexico a friend got me hunting ducks on the Rio Grande. The only way to eat those things are to filet breast, butterfly it, stuff with a jalapeno, wrap bacon around them and cook on the grill.

You can gather up a bunch of legs and put them in a crock pot with BBQ sauce.

The best way I found though, was to give the whole duck to my friend that had a Harris Hawk. He would feed them to the hawk. Made me feel better about shooting them. I don't hunt what I won't eat and ducks are so much fun to shoot.

I was talking ducks and geese with my bull supplier. He has lots of both on his place. I said that I bone off all the meat, toss it in the freezer and at the end of the season I make pepperoni out of it. He said that he fillets off the breast. Cooks it on the grill and feeds it to his dogs. Figures it isn't a waste because he saves money on dog food.

Latest posts