how to get started

Help Support CattleToday:

double v

Reaction score
low on funds how can i get started in the cattle bussiness, what breed should i get and how much will i spend. :2cents:

Registered angus. You should spend between $3000-$4000/head. It's the only way to make money with cattle. You should feed them 12-15 pounds of grain per head per day.

You should also buy a helicopter to check them with. I recommend the Roto-Master XJ3500. The seats are very comfortable.

At the slightest sign that something is wrong you should have the vet out. Just tell him to do whatever it takes to keep them alive. This way you will make the most money.

Don't forget land you will need at least one acre per cow!

It would really help a lot if you told us where the he[[ you are located!

I also agree that you need to buy as many Angus cattle as you can, and don't let these internet experts kid you: If it's black its Angus. I personally think the sale barn is your best source for those good genetics. Buy your cows there and then spend the big money an a high end bull. $350,000 should get you a good one.

Forget angus, get longhorn cows and put a corriente bull on them

The Longhorn/Corriente cross is also a good idea but you will need to put up a couple extra strands of fence because all horned cattle are expert fence jumpers.

The Longhorn/Corriente cross is also a good idea but you will need to put up a couple extra strands of fence because all horned cattle are expert fence jumpers.

ohiosteve":3sowxema said:

If you hang a log chain on either side of their horns it stops them from jumping. Be careful though. If the chains are not equal length they will have a tendency to graze in circle to the long side!

double v":2bk4hcvw said:
low on funds how can i get started in the cattle bussiness, what breed should i get and how much will i spend. :2cents:
I am having a hard time putting words together to form an answer to your queries becuse of my tongue being stuck in the side of my cheek, and because I am laughing so hard at some of the previous comments! :banana: :lol:

However - The Angus comments are "spot on" - as they are currently saying! But I would refrain from paying $350,000 for a 'beginning' herd bull. You might get entangled in the :bs: and end up :bang: :deadhorse:

DOC HARRIS

hooknline":ui525g8i said:
Dont discount the emus either. That's how Dun was able to retire
very very very wise words! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
just remember to add another wire again to the top of your fence and clip there wings like just like chickens to keep them getting away!

Buy simmental at 1/2 the price of angus and sell them as "angus influenced" to people that want anything black. Works for me :lol2: :dunce:

3waycross":3hnvm26i said:
Don't forget land you will need at least one acre per cow!

It would really help a lot if you told us where the he[[ you are located!

I also agree that you need to buy as many Angus cattle as you can, and don't let these internet experts kid you: If it's black its Angus. I personally think the sale barn is your best source for those good genetics. Buy your cows there and then spend the big money an a high end bull. $350,000 should get you a good one.

this amount should at least get you enough to buy a good black hereford bull.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned Lowline or miniature cattle. You can put more per acre.

You could always buy a miniature Zebu bull and miniature Hereford cows and raise miniature F1s for miniature replacement heifers. You can raise the steers for people who have small freezers or do not want a normal size freezer beef.

chippie":1dfm5qku said:
I am surprised that no one has mentioned Lowline or miniature cattle. You can put more per acre.

You could always buy a miniature Zebu bull and miniature Hereford cows and raise miniature F1s for miniature replacement heifers. You can raise the steers for people who have small freezers or do not want a normal size freezer beef.

Nope. Angus would be the way to go. Make sure the milk epd on them cows is at least a 45 and then you can milk 'em. Everybody knows dairies are where the money is. Keep the DOC down close to zero, too. Nobody likes those slow, lethargic cows.

regolith":1klz0pru said:
you want a serious answer for a change?

Buy culls. AI them to a really good bull.

I know for a fact that he wasn't looking for a serious answer! ;-)

most affordable culls are jerseys. Put angus over them.
and I'm still being serious.

Go for a 3way with the heifers. Wagyu?

Latest posts