How to cut rear tractor tires?

Help Support CattleToday:

I got a cheap Sawzall (reciprocating saw) would probably work really well. Mine isn't a Milwaukee or anything fancy but it takes the abuse pretty well.

Never done a tractor tire, but I did cut an old loader tire. I dont know if it would be any different or not. I tried the saws all, all I got for that was bent blades. Tried the skill saw, didn't do much but the blade wasn't backwards either. The chain saw worked the best. It took a bit of time, but it did the job. The next tire I do, I think I might try one of those abrasivecut off wheels thats powered by a chain saw engine.

john250":3mze8nrz said:
mermill2":3mze8nrz said:
Does anyone know what is the best saw and blade to use to cut a rear tractor tire in half?

Stihl with your oldest chain.

Right answer. Then throw the chain away when you're done.
I use the chainsaw to cut tires for water troughs.
Is that what you're doing?

pour cold water over the tyre while cutting with a sharp knife, pouring the water at the point of the knife blade. I was surprized to see how easy that was

I cut combine tires into hay feeders for my cows. I use a sawz-all with a six inch wood blade and have someone run a small stream of water on the blade as your cutting. I cut the bead off down to the tread and then cut everyother diamond shaped tread out so the cows can reach the bottom of the tire, then mount them on skids to drag around the field.

Bobg

sidney411 your dumb! Well you asked for it.

Seriously though, here's how I do it. If some one knows a better way please let me know. I just came up with this on my own after seeing one at a trade show. They wanted huge money for these, I'm making mine for about 75 bucks. I use old loader tires from a local sand and gravel pit.

Cut the sidewall off one side. I use a sawzall with a wood blade, and actually leave just a couple inches on the sidewall, I think it leaves a little more strentgh.

Now I lay the sidewall on a piece of old plastic,good side up.( to protect my shop floor) When you look at the bead it's about 2 inches thick with a slight bevel. Now I take 6 inch alluminum flashing and staple it to the inside of the bead. This gives me a slightly bigger diameter at the top.

Next I take 8 inch plastic pipe,30 inches long and stand it in the middle.

Now I fill the around that with 5 bags of premixed cement and add a couple of hooks in it made out of rebar.

I let mine sit a couple days, lift with a front end loader and knock off the tire and flashing.

Cut a hole near the bottom of the plastic stack just big enough for a plastic bulkhead. I use the 1/2 inch fitting. Add a valve to it. Use a float attached to a chain so the cows can't break it off.

Now put your tire in place, set the concrete plug in the hole and silicone it around the perimeter. I let mine set 2 days.

Fill with water and there you go. I love these. They're as tough as @#ll and heavy. The cows can rub on them and not wreck em.

Hope that helps, it sound like a lot more work than it is.

Train

Train":2xvswdze said:
sidney411 your dumb! Well you asked for it.

Seriously though, here's how I do it. If some one knows a better way please let me know. I just came up with this on my own after seeing one at a trade show. They wanted huge money for these, I'm making mine for about 75 bucks. I use old loader tires from a local sand and gravel pit.

Cut the sidewall off one side. I use a sawzall with a wood blade, and actually leave just a couple inches on the sidewall, I think it leaves a little more strentgh.

Now I lay the sidewall on a piece of old plastic,good side up.( to protect my shop floor) When you look at the bead it's about 2 inches thick with a slight bevel. Now I take 6 inch alluminum flashing and staple it to the inside of the bead. This gives me a slightly bigger diameter at the top.

Next I take 8 inch plastic pipe,30 inches long and stand it in the middle.

Now I fill the around that with 5 bags of premixed cement and add a couple of hooks in it made out of rebar.

I let mine sit a couple days, lift with a front end loader and knock off the tire and flashing.

Cut a hole near the bottom of the plastic stack just big enough for a plastic bulkhead. I use the 1/2 inch fitting. Add a valve to it. Use a float attached to a chain so the cows can't break it off.

Now put your tire in place, set the concrete plug in the hole and silicone it around the perimeter. I let mine set 2 days.

Fill with water and there you go. I love these. They're as tough as @#ll and heavy. The cows can rub on them and not wreck em.

Hope that helps, it sound like a lot more work than it is.

Train

Train,

How about posting a picture of the finished product for all to see.

Jack

I'll try to get some over the next couple of days. I'm building some more right now so I'll get pictures of it step by step.

Not my drawing but I think it might help out.

tire_trough.jpg

Thanks to all for tips and suggestions. I tried various methods for cutting these tires. I found using a jigsaw, with a 4 1/4" course woodcutting blade, worked the best. Stood the tire up and cut it right up the middle.

The tire can be cut as described and put into place then the center filled with concrete and let to slow cure under a couple inches of water. Curing this way should keep it from leaking between the tire and the concrete. I did this with some mine truck tires and it's worth every bit of expense and work, they will last forever.

I used an old chain with a small chainsaw. Hung the tractor tire from the loader. Took about 1 minute to cut the tire, really quick and slick. My invention was going to be a circular bunk feeder that would use a large tractor or skidder tire that could just fit in one of the hay rings (Just hate to see range or cottonseed meal fall out of mouths of sloppy cows and on the ground as well as equity in feeding all the heads, not just the greedy cows). Previously using hay tubs ringed inside the hay ring.

My idea was that when I feed the supplement I could portion out the meal from the center of the hay ring for equal consumption (have about 15 to 18 slots in the hay ring). Currently, I am bringing the feed via my tractor bucket over the center of the hay ring. Eventually, if one was willing to harden a site or sacrifice area, I think I could construct a small gravity flow cone type grain bin elevated in the center of the ring with either a tube for meal flow to the tire ring or perhaps an upside down cone for equal portioning in the ring for greater automation.

Anyway, just toying with the idea. My last effort fell short. The tire was not deep enough nor tall enough,,would need at least a six foot tire.

Latest posts