How soon can you catch and cut bull calves?

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Sitting here looking back over my calving year, and forward to this winters feeding season. A question that came to mind was about cutting calves. We typically cut when we "work" our cows (calves from 200-400lbs). I had several late calves that I had caught in the pasture recently, cut and vaccinated with ease. What do you guys say to making this a routine practice when a new calf is a week old? And also if I decide to do this just give a Tetinus vac at that time?

I think it's ok to do it at the second tet. shot. But I'd like to know for sure from one of you smarter guys..I banded last year when I gave the tet. Shot and ended up with 2 dead. In the future I'll use a different plan for the shots.

The head vet at VA Tech told me a few years ago that he liked to get the calf's head out of the cow before implanting and castrated it if it was a bull as soon as it hit the ground. Castrate them when they are first born and they never knew they had them.

I'm with Kenny and Jed. The sooner the better. However if I couldn't do within 24 hours of birth, I'd wait till about 10 days because during that period the calf immune system leaves a lot to be desired. But that's just me. I band at birth.

We band day 1 or 2. Had a long discussion with our vet about whether to give tet and he really doesn't think it's necessary for our Spring bull calves but we do give a shot of Covexin 8 to the summer/fall calves when we band. If we miss a calf the 1st couple days we generally wait until we work them and then cut with a healthy dose of Covexin 8 & LA300.

NolanCountyAG":2wkdfjb3 said:
Bigfoot":2wkdfjb3 said:
NolanCountyAG":2wkdfjb3 said:
How come you are giving tetanus if you are cutting them?

Any open wound, is susceptible.

Is it worse in a wetter environment? Never heard of anyone giving tetanus in this part of the world, just keep your knife clean.

Can't answer that question. I do know if you've got horses around, your at a higher risk.

Bigfoot":3dvpeszr said:
NolanCountyAG":3dvpeszr said:
Bigfoot":3dvpeszr said:

Is it worse in a wetter environment? Never heard of anyone giving tetanus in this part of the world, just keep your knife clean.

Can't answer that question. I do know if you've got horses around, your at a higher risk.

Bigfoot, do donkeys fit the same bill?

I hope Lucky_P, Milkmaid or one of the other vets will chime in but if I remember right a closed wound is the issue. Banding is more likely to have tetanus than knife cutting.

I know it can survive without oxygen. Leads me to think a band would be worse than a cut for getting it. Almost positive any wound could do the deed. Not sure if a donkey does or not? All my info, ain't from a book though. So enter at your own risk.

Edited to add------I have both banded, and castrated calves, on the same day I gave them a tetanus shot. Not a good practice though. Probably be safer to vaccinate, and then wait.

Bigfoot":q9ks6gea said:
I know it can survive without oxygen. Leads me to think a band would be worse than a cut for getting it. Almost positive any wound could do the deed. Not sure if a donkey does or not? All my info, ain't from a book though. So enter at your own risk.

Edited to add------I have both banded, and castrated calves, on the same day I gave them a tetanus shot. Not a good practice though. Probably be safer to vaccinate, and then wait.
I still do but give the antitoxin instead of the toxin. But yes vaccinating and waiting is better.

Bigfoot":2d1rjay3 said:
NolanCountyAG":2d1rjay3 said:
Bigfoot":2d1rjay3 said:

I've always heard that about the horse deal.

I prefer to wait at least until the calf is dry and has nursed before cutting/banding/tagging

Craig Miller":3mlxwh4d said:
So your saying no tet shot is necessary when you cut? I swear yall are confusing on this.

As usual, were grid locked. Some do, and some don't. Personally, I'm sayin this------You cut or band enough, without giving a tetanus shot, and someday you'll lose one.