How Reliable is "Bumping"

Help Support CattleToday:

3wishes

Reaction score
A cattle rancher came out this morning to "bump" my Jersey cow. He says she's not far along if she is in fact pregnant. She's been with a bull since December. No problem with the bull. This was a young cow when purchased after calving. She was supposedly bred back already but she wasn't pregnant. Was going into heat so I put her in with a bull as she raised an auction calf. She is now dry and if she is going into heat, it is not as obvious as it was last year. Is bumping fairly reliable for a Jersey?

He pushed in on her right side behind her ribs. Said if there was a calf in there he would have been able to feel it, unless it was still really small (as in not close to term). He only has beef cattle so I was wondering if that was a reliable way to tell for a Jersey. Calling my vet for a palpation is next on my list, but it was a cost I wanted to avoid with just one animal that needs to see him right now.

Bummping seems to be almost and art. Some people have the ability others just can't ever figure it out. So the question is, how reliable has his bumping been in the past?

dun

I might rely on my own bumping skills to tell if a supposedly-heavy-bred cow IS bred, but I wouldn't rely on anyone's bumping skills to tell if a cow is NOT bred. :lol:

I can usually find a calf around 160-180 days, but there's been big framed cows I can't bump even at 220 days. If your cow has been running with a bull since December the most she'd be is about 180-210 days bred. Should be enough to bump a calf, but if she didn't settle first or second service she may be still too short-bred to bump that calf.

.......and I thought bumping was part of "cow tipping"

I had not heard of this. New info.

Frankly, I hadn't thought about it for a long time. My Daddy could "bump" a cow and my brother can. I can remember watching my Daddy doing it. Yes, I think it does require a certain talent. Lord knows, if I tried it I'd probably wind up on the ground with one mad cow staring down at me.

Alice

Thanks for the advice and help. I tried it and couldn't figure out what I was feeling if anything but stretched skin. This would be a nice technique to learn.

3wishes":39d7y3j8 said:
He pushed in on her right side behind her ribs. Said if there was a calf in there he would have been able to feel it, unless it was still really small (as in not close to term). He only has beef cattle so I was wondering if that was a reliable way to tell for a Jersey. Calling my vet for a palpation is next on my list, but it was a cost I wanted to avoid with just one animal that needs to see him right now.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess you learn something new every day ;-) .

A cow tradder that I have worked with bumps cows. He says if you get the bump they are bred if not who knows. ;-)

They need to 7 months are more bred before you can bump the calf. Also, depends on how the calf is positioned. We do it with ours.

Well my vet is coming on Friday to palpate her and discuss infertility issues if she is not bred. She was also exposed to my bull prior to December but my bull was young at the time. After December she was exposed to a mature bull.

I was with my dad at an auction one time and this "7 1/2 month bred" Hereford came through and this guy bought her and followed her out and we went outside to take a break at the same time. The guy went up to the cow and bumped her, looked at us and said she wasn't bred so he turned her around and ran her back through the sale.

However, I really don't know how reliable bumping is. Just though I'd share this with you guys.

I have used the bumping technique since I was a kid. At around 6 months is about the earliest on most cows. Not all cows can be bumped the exact same place or angle, it can depend on the position of the calf and the condition of the cow. If you feel the calf, it is there. It would be real rare for a cow to be bred 7 months or more and not be able to feel the calf if you tried all the angles and different pressures. Also, one trick I have used to find a smaller calf or tougher cow is to push several times in rhythm and then push harder out of rhythm to catch the calf coming to you. At 7 months or more, bumping has been at least as reliable as a vet preg checking the cow. I have bought cows at a sale barn that are not preg checked and I get in the pen and bump them and then buy them when I know they are bred. Can make some good buys that way.

I've never heard of this before... tho I may have in passing but probably discarded it as an old wive's tale!
So, if this is reasonably reliable when they are a fair way along, is it possible to use this technique in heifers as well as calves? Bit of a daft question, but you've got me thinking now!

If they are bred 6 or more months along you don't hafta bump. If you'll just observe them on the right side while they are grazing most times you can see the calf move. The soft spot between the hind legs and rib cage.
I don't rely on this method tho. Best way is to lay a hand on it, palpatin.
I'm not even real convinced on the ultra sound method either, daughters commercial pen of 3 show heifers were done in june, first time I'd seen it done. The monitor they used was 2 inches x 4 inches. When they located the cervex it was about the size of a pencil eraser on the screen.(when in real life it's about 2 to 3 inches in diameter and 5 to 7 inches long.) You cannot convince me that if a cow is early bred, say only a month or two, (when the fetus is the size of a marble, or golf ball) that they can see that on that small monitor. One of her heifers , while he was doin the ultrasound,he stopped on a black area and she seen the actual calf, could see legs, head and everthang, he moved it, and then couldnt locate it again, then called the heifer open.

jersey lilly":1gmfwber said:
I'm not even real convinced on the ultra sound method either, daughters commercial pen of 3 show heifers were done in june, first time I'd seen it done. The monitor they used was 2 inches x 4 inches. When they located the cervex it was about the size of a pencil eraser on the screen.(when in real life it's about 2 to 3 inches in diameter and 5 to 7 inches long.) You cannot convince me that if a cow is early bred, say only a month or two, (when the fetus is the size of a marble, or golf ball) that they can see that on that small monitor. One of her heifers , while he was doin the ultrasound,he stopped on a black area and she seen the actual calf, could see legs, head and everthang, he moved it, and then couldnt locate it again, then called the heifer open.

My vet says doing ultrasounds are harder than just palpating - because you not only have to "see" with your fingers, but you also have to learn to see with your eyes what's on the screen. Believe it or not though, Lilly, a good vet can find the calf at 24 days of pregnancy (11 days on a horse) on the ultrasound screen, and my vet routinely ultrasounds flush cows to look at their ovaries and decide whether or not they're ready to flush. I've watched him look at CLs and count follicles until I've gotten pretty good at knowing what I'm looking at too. Oh - and between 60 and 90 days of pregnancy on the ultrasound a good vet can do fetal sexing too.

In hot weaher we give the girls real cold water. You can see the calf do sumersaults on her right side

dun

dun":1r1d0wsz said:
In hot weaher we give the girls real cold water. You can see the calf do sumersaults on her right side

dun

Lots to learn on this board, I need all the input I can get.

Latest posts