How Reliable is "Bumping"

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks ya'll :) I swear I've seen that calf move on her right side before. I'd like to see bumping by an experienced person just to learn it. I think these skills should be passed down and their arts cultivated. I'm hoping my vet won't have to discuss fertility problems with me tomorrow afternoon.

Yup, Ive bumped many a cow and it works great once you get the hang of it. You got to know where the calf is and its got to be far enough along so there is a little weight there. The best example I can think of off hand is, say you have a balloon filled with water with a softball floating around in it. You make a fist and start pushing agaist the balloon, get a rythem going in and back, you will start feeling the softball bouncing around. Do that with a cow and feel that,got a calf in her. Once the cow is later in her preg the calf will be big and hard, real easy to tell.

mnmt

mnmtranching":s9s84rjk said:
Yup, Ive bumped many a cow and it works great once you get the hang of it. You got to know where the calf is and its got to be far enough along so there is a little weight there. The best example I can think of off hand is, say you have a balloon filled with water with a softball floating around in it. You make a fist and start pushing agaist the balloon, get a rythem going in and back, you will start feeling the softball bouncing around. Do that with a cow and feel that,got a calf in her. Once the cow is later in her preg the calf will be big and hard, real easy to tell.

mnmt

How exactly do you get the softball in the ballon? :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's bred! :D About 5 months along :) I'm going to practice the bumping technique on her as she gets larger. I could have sworn I'd seen a calf moving in there a few weeks ago. What a relief! I have a cow that contiues to show signs of going into heat even when she is bred. I hope that was our glitch for this event. Thanks everyone :)

Latest posts