how popular or unpopular is the color dun?

Help Support CattleToday:

I would rather have buckskin myself. There are so many different color variations of dun. I like some more than others. I like the ones with the bars on the legs and the dark color over the withers. I don't really care for the red dun color. Just my opinion.

I like a yellow brown, more yellow than brown, dun with primative markings. You l know, the line back with 'tiger' striping. Unfortunately everyone I ever looked at was small, I'm not. I don't breed, for any reason but I'd take one if it was given.

hi millironqh,

i believe there is mill iron land to the east of us.... we see the spring smoke when the land is cleared of brush...

--------------

hey anybody......???

if you had a choice would you breed or not breed for:

1. duns

2. buckskins

3. palominos

4. roans

5. any of the paints

6. dark hooves

7. striped hooves

8. white hooves

9. without face markings

10. with face markings

11. without socks/stockings

12. with socks/stockings

13. mares

14. geldings

15. stallions

and finally...

what do you think is easiest to buy/sell in the above list?

Twice I bred for a paint with black hooves. Twice I got colts. Both, together, had just enough white on them that you could cover it with a nickel. They did both have dark, not black, hooves. I gave up.
I've found that as a general rule, two equal horses, same sex, same age, same size, same training, same same down the line; the horse with more color will sale faster and for more money.
Around here Cowboys like color. Doesn't have to be a paint, just something flashy.
Millironqh has some excellent roan ponies.

I love the grulla colored horses, old timers called them Blue duns. People use to breed for the blood line on the papers. Now they seem to just breed for color. Buckskin, palomino, red and blue roan are the hottest colors going.

Running Arrow Bill":uajfd7u0 said:
hi millironqh,

i believe there is mill iron land to the east of us.... we see the spring smoke when the land is cleared of brush...

I know there is a Mill Iron Ranch in the panhandle. I think it's jusy about the only other mill iron brand in the state.

--------------

hey anybody......???

if you had a choice would you breed or not breed for:

1. duns

2. buckskins

3. palominos

4. roans
yep

5. any of the paints

6. dark hooves
yep

7. striped hooves

8. white hooves

9. without face markings
minimal to no white

10. with face markings

11. without socks/stockings
yep

12. with socks/stockings

13. mares

14. geldings

15. stallions

Can't call that one.

and finally...

what do you think is easiest to buy/sell in the above list?

Depends on the market. Stallions are usually the hardest to sell.Z

We always had Palomino's but now................................

SkipSon.jpg

We don't ever breed only for color..we consider bloodlines, disposition, conformation, ability and show records first..then color.makes it difficult when you breed paint horses, but it keeps it interesting. :lol:

this is my husband's grade team roping gelding, he is a classic dun and in the summer people just ohh and ahh over him, his markings are very distinct
P1010014.JPG
(alt+p)

I personaly like Palominos or Buckskins better then duns.

I like bright sorrell. Seems like the most to pick from. Wouldn't turn down a blood bay, or a fleabitten grey. But there is no bad color on a good horse!

I have 2 duns...Absolutly LOVE them! I also horse sat for a red dun and another dun. They were the best horses ever! but now i have 2 duns of my own! :D

I know shortly after the move "Spirit" came out the prices of Buckskins went thru the roof. I'd been to a few sales.....and wasn't lookin for a buckskin, then after the movie. A friend of mine mentioned that he'd like to have a Buckskin.........needless to say he didnt get one, they were tooooooo highhhhhhh.

jersey lilly":185oefcv said:
I know shortly after the move "Spirit" came out the prices of Buckskins went thru the roof. I'd been to a few sales.....and wasn't lookin for a buckskin, then after the movie. A friend of mine mentioned that he'd like to have a Buckskin.........needless to say he didnt get one, they were tooooooo highhhhhhh.
stuff like this is how fads start.back when roy cooper was on top of his game. some one wrote if he roped out of a english saddle you would see all the wannabes following suit

Bay,black,black mane&tail,star and stripe,white hind stockings
Any color,markings,gender that'll do what I want it to ,with enjoyment..

Latest posts