How old for calves to tolerate heat??

Help Support CattleToday:

I think they have no choice but to tolerate heat...no matter where they are. They have to adapt to the weather, hot, cold, mild, stormy, whatever.

As long as there is decent shade, whether man made or natural, and access to plenty of water...

Now, if you have a calf that seems to be down and panting a lot in the heat and humidity, it's a good thing to be able to mist it off with some water.

I guess I'm not really understanding what kind of answer you are looking for. Are you talking about baby calves...half grown calves. Really doesn't matter...as long as there is shelter/shade and water.

Thx Alice..... We are trying to decide when to breed our heifers. My old farmer neighbor says we are wrong for breeding now because we need to calve in the fall. If we breed in July as planned we will calve in April, and I guess I was just wanting thoughts on that...

Well, I think fall is optimum because of the heat issue, but with TX weather like it is...Jeez Louise, who knows. As long as it's not the dead of winter or the middle of summer...

April is spring here...and temps can be mild then, also...warm days and cool nights.

Truthfully, I think I'd opt for fall...but ya'll have to do things that fit your operation. :)

Alice

The live sperm content of bull semen is seriously diminished during hot weather.

We have had no problems breeding in June and July to calve
in march & april...sw oklahoma....but then we don't have
black cattle except a couple of cows.

b&langusfarms":1ao1jnm8 said:
Wondering how old calves need to be to tolerate the heat? I live in Texas.....

I agree with Alice on this, the calf will learn to deal with it.
I beleive it is more an issue of how will the cow be able to raise the calf in the heat. The cow cannot properly nurse the calf if it is not grazeing because of the heat. They seem to get through it though as many do it. Could it be that they lay around during the hot daytime and graze at night. I am not makeing a stament here but only an issue that you may want to consider. And I am assuming we are talking about angus.

novatech":202xpeil said:
b&langusfarms":202xpeil said:
Wondering how old calves need to be to tolerate the heat? I live in Texas.....

I agree with Alice on this, the calf will learn to deal with it.
I beleive it is more an issue of how will the cow be able to raise the calf in the heat. The cow cannot properly nurse the calf if it is not grazeing because of the heat. They seem to get through it though as many do it. Could it be that they lay around during the hot daytime and graze at night. I am not makeing a stament here but only an issue that you may want to consider. And I am assuming we are talking about angus.

Just need to run the right kind of Angus them that have brimmer blood.

Latest posts