How not to

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
...rob a bee tree.
(Feel free add your own mis-adventures to this)
When I was about 14 or 15, during the summer vacation from school, my twin brother and I were helping a friend of my father's to clear some trees off the place I live on now to dig a pond (tank). He had an old (then) saggy tracked TD14 dozer with a cable operated blade that was lucky to work 2 days in a row without throwing a track. Most of the pushing was pine, and any oak had to have a 1" cable tied up in it about 15 feet and the other end clevised into the drawbar so the dozer could rock the tree back and forth and pull it down. That was our job for the most part. Brother or I would drive up to the tree on an 8n Ford with a dinky FEL on it, raise the other one up with the cable and hook the cable on. That was our "summer job" with no pay of course. For 90 lb boys it was hard work dragging that long cable around. We rode with the dozer operator everyday back and forth from our home about 45 miles each way, wore out every night when we got home. One day, I went to hook the cable up in an old Magnolia tree and just as I got the cable around it and the hook set, I saw it had a hollow in it right above with bees all around it. He went ahead and pulled it down and the old operator said "I'll leave that one layin' and you boys can rob the honeycomb out of it tomorrow--Yore daddy can tell ya how to do it tonight."

At supper that night,Dad said one of us to put on some long sleeve coveralls, a pair of them old thick, rubber chemical gloves he brought home from Humble and put a towel on under a hardhat to protect our ears, and chop into the hive with an axe. The other was to get a long green stick and wire a big wad of oily rags on it to light and hold to keep the bees off the ax guy. I remember my mother saying she sure would like some real honey on biscuits instead of "that ol store bought honey" The die was cast. That might as well have been a direct commandment from the Good Lord himself. An rare opportunity for 2 rambunctious boys to please their mother--something we did far to often in those days. (I won't say we were terribly ill behaved, but it's fairly accurate to say Dad wore out a belt, every willow switch within a mile of home, and 2 sets of elbows trying to keep us on the straight and narrow path.) He said he would get everything laid out we would need on the front porch before he left for work. I heard him out in the shop a little later with that old air grinder. Sure enough, there in a chair on the porch was a pair of those old heavy herringbone longsleeved refinery coveralls, a pair of rubber gloves, one of mother's old towels, a beat up old aluminum hardhat, a newly sharpened single bit axe, and about 4 mushroomed head splitting wedges I knew he had inherited from his father up in NE Texas. Looked like they had already split every tree in Bowie County, but it was what he laid out--along with his dad's old crosscut saw. (Dad didn't believe in chainsaws back then--cost too much ) A note on top said to move back about 4' each side of the hollow, and saw that part from the tree first, then light the rags and start splitting from one end. Sounded simple enough to a knotheaded young kid that didn't know squat about bees.

We worked as usual till about 3 oclock, then that dozer operator said "come on" parked that raggedy old IH under a shade tree and sat down on the tracks to watch from a safe distance. (he was allergic to bee and wasp stings and had a heart condition to boot--kept a little bottle of nitro pills in his pocket, one of which I later had to put under his tongue--but that's a story for another time) The sawing went without a hitch, 'cept as usual, my brother slack armed his end of the saw. (You can always tell cause when you push, the saw bows a little if the guy on the other end isn't pulling) We flipped a coin, and I started pulling on the coveralls, which were about 5 sizes too big and long, hotter than what I had always imagined Hades itself to be, I rolled up the legs, buttoned them to the neck, and at the wrists, then dropped that towel over my head and crammed the hardhat down over my otherwise burr head. I looked like a walking salesman for Omar th Tent Maker or Lawrence of Arabia with a bad tailor, as my brother lit the wad of oily rags wired onto the end of a long willow branch. We didn't know about bees and smoke and thought the smoke should be on me. I knelt down and started driving them wedges in with the single bit, and here them bees come--mad bees--angry bees-demonized bees. I didn't know there could even be that many bees on the face of the globe. I was pouring sweat in them old coveralls and the bees zeroed in on that odor--those coveralls must have weighed 10 lbs by then. That little hollow disgorged more bees than God himself had sent locusts onto the Pharoh, cuz the air was dark with em and it sounded like I was next door to a 4 blade sawmill. I couldn't see crap with all that getup on, was about to choke on that used oil smoke but I could hear that operator yelling, "Keep drivin' boy!--Keep drivin 'em in" My brother had backed off a little bit as soon as he77 itself opened up, but kept that infernal stinkin' wad of rags which by now had become a ball of fire close by--till un-be-knownst to me-a bee flew in his ear and he took off like a scalded dog to and behind the safety of that old 8n. "Keep drivin' boy--ya almost got it--don't you stop!". I did, but them bees were tearin me up. Up my pants leg, under that towel, in my face, up my sleeves, on my burred scalp, between my fingers and everywhere else. From 50 feet away, I could hear that old dozer man laughing like a fat man reading little abner in the Sunday paper. Finally that trunk split open and there was the coveted comb. I stood up, turned around, jerked my arab head dress off, slung it in the general direction of the truck, and as I saw the offending fireball laying there and brother dearest peering from behind the Ford, I kicked that smokey burning wretch of useless crap over his way and was promptly rewarded with piece of it landing in what little hair I had left. The dozer operator was by this time, (at my expense and no small dismay) laying down on that track laughing so hard he couldn't see.

We were going to let the bees settle down, but when we went back a couple hrs later, they had vanished. Good riddance to em. I was swoll up everywhere that had skin, just one big red splotch of a face and both eyes looked like those of a chinaman.
Again, we knew nothing about bees or honey, so I started dipping that honey out and pulling the comb loose and putting it in some big pickle jars my mother had sent. Brother wisely elected to ride home in the back of the truck knowing full well I was gonna try to beat the living benice out of him if he got within reach of my puffed up hands.
Lots of comb, but it wasn't till we got home that night my parents told me the comb cells were all full of bee larve and we ended up with about 2 quart of honey for all that trouble. The wrong time of year to rob a bee tree. I honestly thought my mother and older sisters were going to faint when I walked in the door. I'm not allergic to bee stings, but I took a fever that night, shook, sweated, and shivered till the next night and stayed home from work for 3 days.
That was the same property i live on now, and tho I've walked every inch of it many times, that is the only bee tree I've ever seen. I'm good with that too.

So--what do you know how "Not To Do"?

Hahaha! Trust me I've ha my share of bee encounters trying to catch swarms and such.
But your story reminds me of me and my younger brother. I was about 7 years old, he was 6. My dad worked as a morticians assistant and we lives in a mobile home provided by his employer. The town was small, even for being back in the late 70s.
Across a field that seemed like it was huge, but most likely was maybe 10-15 acres, sat a boarded up warehouse. The building had been abandoned as long as I remembered. The plywood over the windows was all gray from the weather and starting to rot. Being up in the mountains of Arizona who knows how long it took plywood to rot.
One day the field was filled with honey suckle, it must have been spring. We made our way across the field on foot, grabbing as much of that sweet nectar along the way as our little arms would allow. Once we got to the building we figured it would be fun to throw rocks at the boarded up windows. That quickly got boring, So I dared him to go punch one of the boards down.
Being he was young and dumb and I was older and smarter, he took the dare and I stood back. I didn't want to get caught vandalizing after all.
As soon as he knocked that board out, they buzz filled the air. We both ran as fast as we could, but being older, smarter, an bigger, I had a head start and ran faster. He got the full brunt of their fury.
To this day I don't know if they were bees, wasps or yellow jackets. Doesn't matter, as the lesson would repeat itself a few short years later as I dared him to taunt the Doberman at my grandads neighbors house. We hopped the fence and, well, you know the rest of the story.

:D
Hooknline--I had a similar experience with what I thought was going to be a little miniature poodle behind a tall board fence. I wasn't aware at the time, that people had bred down real poodles into miniatures and that true poodles are as big as a small horse and were originally used for hunting boar in Europe and Russia.

Good storys. I was the youngest of seven kids 3brothers and 3 sisters. They always said I was the meanist,but I doubt that.
My Dad always said never to shoot a hornets nest hanging in a tree because they would trace the path of the bullit back too you.
Well naturally I had to see if this was fact or fiction.
One day while out squirell hunting with my 22 i saw a good size hornets next across the holler on the other hillside.
I took carefull aim and shot. Well I'm here to tell you Dad was spot on. I mean the whole sky got dark with them.
Luckly down the other side of the hill the river wasen't too far. So very quickly I decided on a swim.

My older brother used to say that I could walk through one door and out the other and I'd have all the grownups cussing and all the kids crying.

Cal

:lol2: :lol2:

When I was a child they told me skunks stunk. They also told me my farts stunk yet I thought they smelled quite sweet and would get great joy from sharing them with others - especially in enclosed spaces. Due to my confusion of these two subjectivities I one day found myself in a position to catch as skunk. A farting pet! What a wonderful pet I thought! I promptly caught it by the tail and quickly learned that skunks also have teeth similar to a cat's - and the suckers know how to bite. After punting the ungrateful would-be pet a few feet from me I also learned that skunks can spray and they have an impressive range. Amazingly I learned, they don't only stink they have a stench which is by no means similar to the stink I had envisioned. And it cannot be washed off. After having my clothes burnt and having to sleep on the back porch for three nights I learned what stink really is and gained confirmation - as I suspected - that my farts do not stink.

So to answer the question of "what not to do", I would say if you got your mind set on catching a skunk don't grab it by the tail. I suspect grabbing it by the scruff of the neck is the proper way of catching a skunk but as for its use as a farting pet - I don't think this animal is the most appropriate for this and you might want to consider getting a blue heeler.

Jogeephus":2c5j3r91 said:
:lol2: :lol2:

When I was a child they told me skunks stunk. They also told me my farts stunk yet I thought they smelled quite sweet and would get great joy from sharing them with others - especially in enclosed spaces. Due to my confusion of these two subjectivities I one day found myself in a position to catch as skunk. A farting pet! What a wonderful pet I thought! I promptly caught it by the tail and quickly learned that skunks also have teeth similar to a cat's - and the suckers know how to bite. After punting the ungrateful would-be pet a few feet from me I also learned that skunks can spray and they have an impressive range. Amazingly I learned, they don't only stink they have a stench which is by no means similar to the stink I had envisioned. And it cannot be washed off. After having my clothes burnt and having to sleep on the back porch for three nights I learned what stink really is and gained confirmation - as I suspected - that my farts do not stink.

So to answer the question of "what not to do", I would say if you got your mind set on catching a skunk don't grab it by the tail. I suspect grabbing it by the scruff of the neck is the proper way of catching a skunk but as for its use as a farting pet - I don't think this animal is the most appropriate for this and you might want to consider getting a blue heeler.

How often did you hear "That boy just ain't right" ? :lol2:

Only a few times. OK. Maybe a bit more than that. But now you can understand why I have such a dislike for signs such as this. People should say what they mean and mean what they say. The constant barrage of warnings just makes one want to question what they really mean.

Water+on+road.jpg

And that crap about Marry Poppins being able to float around with a friggin umbrella is a lie. My mother will attest to that as I went through her whole stash of umbrellas one day "wanting to believe" in this cockamaney myth. And no, it won't work with the mushroom umbrellas, nor the one that had flowers on it nor the big black one just like that Poppins woman used so don't try that either.

It could be worse Jogeephus. At least you didn't fall for a bedsheet tied around your neck = a cape and you into being able to fly off your roof---or did you?.

We have a part time kid that stays with us when things aren't going well at his house. He's related to us but it's pretty distant. He is two days younger than my son,age eight, who is the oldest of my two but he is years behind both of them in just about everything but street smarts. My kids will challenge me if I make an off-handed comment about him when he's not around but it's pretty obvious that they have him figured out in how they treat him... they're usually kind and helpful... usually...
About a year ago I was laying down for a quick nap and trying to shut out the noise of the three kids in the tree-house(about ten feet off the ground) outside the bedroom window.
I nodded off and barely woke up for a "WHUMP" followed by giggling. I figured if there was giggling everybody was fine...
I nodded back off... "WHUMP... uughhh!" followed by more giggling".
I didn't want to know so back to sleep...
"WHUMP" followed by boysterous laughter. I heard a girls voice "no, you tell him... he always listens to YOU" and I finally parted the curtains to see Larry perched at the door of the treehouse with a sleeping bag wrapped around his shoulders. There was an open umbrella on the ground directly in front of the treehouse.
I cracked the window and said, "hey kids, be nice to Larry."

When I was about 8 or 9, I let a neighbor girl convince me she could take me on a magic carpet ride. It was then I learned "How not to..." assume I'm thinking the same thing someone else is thinking. We never did get airborn :lol2:

greybeard":u8tuznqo said:
It could be worse Jogeephus. At least you didn't fall for a bedsheet tied around your neck = a cape and you into being able to fly off your roof---or did you?.

No. I had too much boyhood pride to be putting on those tight fitting britches. Besides, in the day, wearing something like that would guarantee a royal whooping by the others in the neighborhood. So I skipped the flight by cape cause I was pretty sure you needed the whole ensemble for it to work properly.

But I can attest to the fact that a used military supply parachute won't work off a second story roof. I know. Makes no sense to me either but I'm pretty sure you need a plane for that. On a side note, I did learn the importance of tucking and rolling without anyone having to explain it to me. Granted I learned a little late to serve much good that day cause I had two black eyes and a bloody nose from my knees getting jobbed in my face. But I learned.

Then along came that Evil Knievil fella. All the kids saw him do it on television so we knew it was possible but for the life of us we never could make it across that gully - and I assure you it wasn't for lack of trying. And we even had a ramp!

Ouachita":ioa81zys said:
When I was about 8 or 9, I let a neighbor girl convince me she could take me on a magic carpet ride. It was then I learned "How not to..." assume I'm thinking the same thing someone else is thinking. We never did get airborn :lol2:

Reading a lot between the lines here with my filthy mind but that reminded me of something that happened to me. Neighborhood girl a few years older than me told me she would show me hers if I show her mine. I promptly dropped my britches and showed her then she dropped hers but she was hiding hers. I got upset that she cheated and ran home and told on her for cheating. Mom wouldn't let me with her anymore for reasons I learned some years later. :oops: :lol2:

Ouachita":2tbpspct said:
I broke both arms in same Evil Knieval imitation

:lol2: :lol2: I feel I'm in good company now. We never had any broken bones but we did have some injuries. Some parents finally took our ramp apart and ended our quest.

What were you jumping? Looked so easy didn't it?

Jogeephus":2udsl9s6 said:
Ouachita":2udsl9s6 said:
I broke both arms in same Evil Knieval imitation

:lol2: :lol2: I feel I'm in good company now. We never had any broken bones but we did have some injuries. Some parents finally took our ramp apart and ended our quest.

What were you jumping? Looked so easy didn't it?

We were jumping a small creek. Our ramp was constructed from various sizes and types of scrap wood, and propped up in several places along its length with firewood, cement blocks etc. to make a ramp that was about 15 feet long. Width varied from a few inches to a couple feet depending on how we had altered it from the previous day, in the perpetual effort to "launch" further and further. We kept score. We took it serious. The ramp was about 4 feet high at the end where controlled flight would have normally began. The boards fell while I was on the ramp, at breakneck speed, and my bicycle took out that 4 foot stack of cinder blocks. I flew over the handle bars and landed in the creek bottom.

Latest posts