How mush cash?

Help Support CattleToday:

People view things differently. Once knew a man who told me "the true winners in life are those who leave this world owing the most". I thought he was joking till I saw the seriousness in his face. He died a few years later leaving his family in a real mess. I plan on leaving my family in better shape than when we started. My kids didn't choose to come in this screwed up world so I think I owe them something for their trouble and I owe my wife a lot for putting up with me.

TexasBred":29vyazru said:
John SD":29vyazru said:
I don't have any livestock anymore myself, so I sell the hay as a cash crop. Got a good neighbor who helps me for a share of the hay.

Oh my Gosh...gotta make a note of this...all hat....no cows... :lol: :lol: :lol: :hide:

Don't even own a hat .... just ball caps from the tractor dealer, co-op, and feed store :oops: :oops: :oops: :lol:

Maybe I should correct myself. I still have some livestock, 14 cats and counting. Old tomcat has evidently been busy :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":1h80vg8n said:
People view things differently. Once knew a man who told me "the true winners in life are those who leave this world owing the most". I thought he was joking till I saw the seriousness in his face. He died a few years later leaving his family in a real mess. I plan on leaving my family in better shape than when we started. My kids didn't choose to come in this screwed up world so I think I owe them something for their trouble and I owe my wife a lot for putting up with me.

Guess his statement would hold more truth if he had no one to leave the mess too. I know a few people that live week to week, they say I will worry about my rent the week it is due. I can't live that way.

Yes, but in a way he is right. For each winner there has to be a loser and his family were the losers. I just can't see living like that but that's just me, other people may view things different. He sure did.

I like some parts of Dave Ramseys plan . If I can finance something for 0% interest I'm going to do that instead of tying up my cash . I keep 3 months bills worth in my savings account . I match my employer 401 and I max my roth ira out . I just started being able to save when I left the self employed life . I'm fine with working for someone else . I wouldn't tie my entire savings into something that I can't get to . Between my ira and pension and 401k . I save 25% of my income per year.

John SD":2s87eazy said:
Maybe I should correct myself. I still have some livestock, 14 cats and counting. Old tomcat has evidently been busy :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well now that's much better. No fertility problems with the tom or hte mama cats. They say herding cats is hard though. :lol: :lol:

IMHO, a financial advisor is over rated. Atleast the two I've used were. They were actually tight lipped about what to do. They also didn't share my view on debt. I trust my accountant, to the extent he helps me hold on to what I do make. My plan is simple. We got debt free, as quick as we could. Second goal, was to live on one of our salaries, and save the other. We'll never amass a fortune, because neither one of us have a high paying job. I like tax differed savings. I feel like I keep more of the dollar I earned that way. Problem with that type of savings, it's not liquid at all. Been trying to be creative with actual "liquid cash" since intrest rates tanked. You might as well have it under your pillow case instead of the bank, with what they are paying.

JSCATTLE":15mu1i40 said:
I like some parts of Dave Ramseys plan . If I can finance something for 0% interest I'm going to do that instead of tying up my cash . I keep 3 months bills worth in my savings account . I match my employer 401 and I max my roth ira out . I just started being able to save when I left the self employed life . I'm fine with working for someone else . I wouldn't tie my entire savings into something that I can't get to . Between my ira and pension and 401k . I save 25% of my income per year.

+1 on the 3 months worth of bills saved up :nod: That's one of the foundations of Dave's plan I absolutely agree with 100% :) Though I don't actually have the $ in a savings account. The $ are in my "money market" checking account,which pays pathetic interest just like a saving account :p :roll:

Beyond that, I keep a year's worth of cash to cover bills in CDs maturing every 3 months so I can get at the money on a regular basis throughout the year. I have to get the CD's out of the safe deposit box at the bank to deposit them. For some reason, Dave doesn't like CD's, but I find them to be the best vehicle for my plan.

Another part of Dave's plan I don't quite agree with is Dave's idea of keeping full coverage insurance on a car. I feel like I'm insuranced to death, so I look for prudent ways to trim costs where I can.

I bought a new car in Nov 2012 with 0%/3yr financing and of course was required to carry full coverage because I financed the car. Even if it is 0% they must be figuring some kind of interest in there somewhere. I got sick and tired of writing that check every month. So in Dec 2014 when the statement came in the mail, I just moved the decimal point and added another 0 on to the check. I paid 10 months with one full month remaining. When the final statement came, I expected it to be the same monthly amount I had been paying. But the final check I wrote was about $30 less. I don't have a good explanation for it :?

Probably was a tossup. I saved almost a year's worth of postage stamps and checks to send that monthly payment. The real savings is when I paid the car off, I was able to drop my full coverage insurance which saves about $200 per year. The deductible on the insurance was $500. I figure in a year's time I could have a $700 ding and would still break even. More damage than that, and I would of course be in the hole. $700 damage on these new cars is probably only a broken headlight :roll:

Crap. I didn't finish my thought wallow go. I wish the only thing I had ever invested in was land. I think over the same period of time, it would have been a better investment.

Bigfoot":2cmciezl said:
Crap. I didn't finish my thought wallow go. I wish the only thing I had ever invested in was land. I think over the same period of time, it would have been a better investment.

I agree that land is a good investment. Not liquid though. But over the long haul, I can't think of anything that beats land. Especially land near a populated area that is expanding.

Back to your previous post. I'm not impressed with most "financial advisors" either. The vast majority of them exist to sell stuff to you that is guaranteed to make money for them, not you. I think by educating yourself with the resources out there on potential investments, you can do it by yourself and eliminated the middleman.

If you have trouble deciding, buy an index based fund.:idea:

For those of you who are debt free and have toys, is it possible simply because you have made a boat-load of money in your lifetime? I guess that explains a lot.

herofan":1jts803t said:
For those of you who are debt free and have toys, is it possible simply because you have made a boat-load of money in your lifetime? I guess that explains a lot.

My observation is that most regular folks who are debt free, do so without a boat-load of money and have few, if any toys. They live a frugal lifestyle, and put all they can away for a rainy day.

There is a guy who goes by the handle "Tommy" at NAT. Hasn't posted there for a while but he gives good advice. Some like myself admire him for it, and some despise him. If you're a NAT member, you can search his posts. I might try to find one or two of Tommy's classics and post them here.

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread ... 0M#3029794

http://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread ... 4#M3524222

herofan":1s5h0kaw said:

I've sunk way more money in horses/rodeo, than I should have. I actually feel quit terrible about it most days. It's my vice, and my weakness.

herofan":2t4y4p7h said:

I certainly have never made a boatload of money, but I don't have many toys either. I don't really feel the need for many.

While I'm sure that some people who are debt free and have a lot of toys have made a lot of money, some of them can afford the toys because they're debt free. They haven't given a big chunk of their income to the banks and credit card companies.

Rafter S, everything we do is legal, and I plan on leaving my family in good shape. We as a family have different LLC's and other limited partnerships, and also are trustees of each other's shares. We have a great CPA, and she's a sharp cookie.
Herofan, a CPA or accountant would be who I would ask for advice. You'll never make any amount of money if you keep it in the bank. IMO.

Also, Herofan, when you're out of debt, you can't believe how fast your money will pile up when you live the same lifestyle you lived when you were trying to make interest payments. You still won't feel the need for many toys, but if you want one, you will have the money to pay for it.
That being said, if you're in debt you would get the best interest rate by using your 27k to pay down the debt. Where else in the bank could you get the interest rate your paying now? gs

herofan":3l1hivwv said:

I took out a big loan years ago to start a business. The business went well and I paid the 20 year loan off in 4 years. The interest saving alone are over $9,000 a month. I am currently debt free and I buy everything with cash. My best advise to a younger guy is cut every possible corner to pay off you mortgages and loans as soon as possible. The interest you are paying on your loans is better off in your pocket than the banks. You will also sleep better being debt free. :nod:

Bigfoot":sjgyuc3k said:
Land is a good investment IF you can make it work for you. Owning it just for the sake of owning it can be expensive. Ever heard the old expression "Land rich, dirt poor" ?? Many people with large land holdings have to sell other assets or borrow money to pay property taxes.

Wife and I are both pretty frugal but don't go without by any means. I've learned over the years especially on things I don't actually have to have, if I can put off buying it for 24-48 hours I'll usually not buy it at all. As for those of you worrying about your money being tied up in CD's etc. the rates are so low now any early withdrawal penalty would be almost nothing so it's still readily available cash if you get in a bind.

Another tip to save 2-3% on everything you buy is to use a good, cash back credit card. I have a Chase Inc. Business Cash card. I get between $3,000 to $4,000 cash back every year on my business expenses. Also, the IRS considers this a rebate and it is not taxable income. The only thing you have to do to make this work is PAY YOUR CREDIT CARD IN FULL EVERY MONTH!

Herofan, you are ahead of the curve. Probably in the top 20% for savers. Depending how close you are to retirement age, you might want to invest some of that and try to grow it more on its own. Dave Ramsey's web site lists "endorsed local providers" for financial planners. It wouldn't hurt to go talk to a professional who has been pre-screened by the Ramsey organization and just see what they have to offer you.

I wish we had learned to save regularly, at a younger age. The "pay yourself first" concept. We always saved our "extra" money, but there is no such thing as extra money a lot of the time. Always a set of tires to buy, an appliance on its last legs, something. Not luxury goods, but just keeping up with the needs of the household.

We are debt free now, but gonna take the plunge and go back in debt one more time to build a new house. Just keep trying to build up more down payment and scale back some of our wish list to make the pain of having a mortgage again, smaller and shorter.

If something were to happen where our income was interrupted (again), I don't want to have to start selling off our stuff, so I want some cash reserves and some of it literally cash you can touch.

Latest posts