How much to lease pasture or a farm in KY

Help Support CattleToday:

Some people give their experiences. I was looking for that. No I have not looked around. Some people believe in using information to their advantage. You might want to do the same. If you do not have good info then do not comment. I do not mind if I am wrong and someone proves to me I am wrong. However, you sarcasm should stay off my threads.

sanchez":z739ytmx said:
OhioRiver":z739ytmx said:
I want to lease 40 or so acres? What are my options in more rural counties? And at what rates.

Have you even tried looking around?

OhioRiver":se69rdxr said:
I want to lease 40 or so acres? What are my options in more rural counties? And at what rates.

Check with your local extension agent on this.

Will the extension agent know the rates or who is willing to lease specifically?

IluvABbeef":2ijni5lq said:
OhioRiver":2ijni5lq said:

I am in western, KY and all of my ground is rented except for my Dad's small 30 acre farm. My rented ground is in a very rural county. To give you a price in your area is difficult. I have one 120 acre plot that I have just for tending it for the out of town owner, another 100 acre plot that I pay $100.00 and acre for, but it has three ponds, a barn, crossed fenced and a road on three sides of the farm along with a good working pen. I have one place that is only about 20 acres and I pay $500.00 a year for it. My friend tells me I'm crazy, but it ahs two good barns, city water, a good creek, a good fence with various holding pens ( for heifers calving, bull pen etc.), electricity, and some tools in a shop that I have access. The best part is that the owner is an elderly lady that lives on the place and watches my equipment that I keep there and cows like a hawk. The best place I ahe is 60 acres for $800.00 a year. Good stand of grass, cross fenced and a spring fed creek that has never went dry. It just depends on the land owner and the accessories that are on the property I guess. All of mine are long term, 10 years or more. Try to get a place with a good water source at a minimum. I hope this helped a little.

OhioRiver":2wpb4tj8 said:
Will the extension agent know the rates or who is willing to lease specifically?

IluvABbeef":2wpb4tj8 said:
OhioRiver":2wpb4tj8 said:

I can't say exactly, but they might if you ask.

Thank you so much for telling me this. I am from Crittenden County originally. I would love to put something where you are or if you know of any other smaller acreage 30-60 acre plots with fencing and a barn that I could lease. I am new even at 41 yrs of age on this so please help if you can.

Devin":1dvzmsce said:
I am in western, KY and all of my ground is rented except for my Dad's small 30 acre farm. My rented ground is in a very rural county. To give you a price in your area is difficult. I have one 120 acre plot that I have just for tending it for the out of town owner, another 100 acre plot that I pay $100.00 and acre for, but it has three ponds, a barn, crossed fenced and a road on three sides of the farm along with a good working pen. I have one place that is only about 20 acres and I pay $500.00 a year for it. My friend tells me I'm crazy, but it ahs two good barns, city water, a good creek, a good fence with various holding pens ( for heifers calving, bull pen etc.), electricity, and some tools in a shop that I have access. The best part is that the owner is an elderly lady that lives on the place and watches my equipment that I keep there and cows like a hawk. The best place I ahe is 60 acres for $800.00 a year. Good stand of grass, cross fenced and a spring fed creek that has never went dry. It just depends on the land owner and the accessories that are on the property I guess. All of mine are long term, 10 years or more. Try to get a place with a good water source at a minimum. I hope this helped a little.

OhioRiver":efzvjvoq said:
Some people give their experiences. I was looking for that. No I have not looked around. Some people believe in using information to their advantage. You might want to do the same. If you do not have good info then do not comment. I do not mind if I am wrong and someone proves to me I am wrong. However, you sarcasm should stay off my threads.

sanchez":efzvjvoq said:
OhioRiver":efzvjvoq said:

Have you even tried looking around?

Well to be quiet honest I wasn't trying to be sarcastic, not until you sent me that fairly jerkish PM, but that aside.

This is an internet forum, you've got a right to post, and I've got the right to respond. If you don't want me to reply to your posts, just don't asks questions that could easily be answered by a quick Google search. I can appreciate wanting honest input, but based upon other threads you've posted, it just seems like you take the lazy, easy route. I would woe you away from anything to do with trying to make money on livestock, because often times, it's a ton of work, with not the largest gains.

Anyways, no need to send stupid PMs to me. I wish you the best of luck with your endeavors - I'm sure they won't go to far.

Im in MOrgan co all mine is lease 40acres barn new moble home 2 ponds all hunting rights owner lives in nc $600 a month and trying to lease more for just pasture and its hard to find here

I am quite sure that I have made just as much money as you with your great expertise in the cattle world and I have not bought a cow or bull one yet. If you are sour about cattle then get out.

- I'm sure they won't go to far.[/quote]

OhioRiver":23bgrdua said:
I am quite sure that I have made just as much money as you with your great expertise in the cattle world and I have not bought a cow or bull one yet. If you are sour about cattle then get out.

- I'm sure they won't go to far.
[/quote]

I'm not sour about cattle, I'm just sour about your lazy threads. Do you see the difference? I don't claim to be a cattle expert by any stroke, but I am intelligent enough to know how to use Google or the basic search features of this forum - maybe you should learn?

It's a dead issue though.

Devin":3qoctusp said:

Man! $10,000 a year for 100 acres?! That seems pretty high.

what should the rate really be for that dimension of property usage

tncattle":50eaj3i6 said:
Devin":50eaj3i6 said:

Man! $10,000 a year for 100 acres?! That seems pretty high.

was it advertised or did you luck upon the deal somehow

williew":24s8vig6 said:
Im in MOrgan co all mine is lease 40acres barn new moble home 2 ponds all hunting rights owner lives in nc $600 a month and trying to lease more for just pasture and its hard to find here

I think i read recently where the national average is around $12/acre, but like Devin or some one else said it also depends on the amenties that go along with it. Around here in SC i would say it goes for $10-$20/acre depending on length of time and fencing and water, etc....

how hard is it to arrange something like this per se? Are there more people or less people doing it now?

Diehard40":3fxplkb5 said:
I think i read recently where the national average is around $12/acre, but like Devin or some one else said it also depends on the amenties that go along with it. Around here in SC i would say it goes for $10-$20/acre depending on length of time and fencing and water, etc....

In central Kentucky, 20-40 per acre cash rent for pasture or hay ground. Some guys around here have arrangements worked out where landowner gets 50% of calf sales. I don't see how they stay in business. Good luck finding available land. You won't find it on Google. I'm looking myself and I know quite a few people around here. It's getting very competitive. You almost have to be in the right circles and know just the right people.

I hear what you are saying there. The guy I spoke to yesterday in Taylorsville was gonna let me have 50 acres of pasture for $100 per acre per calendar year if I signed a 5 year minimum lease. Before I could get back to him with an answer he had already talked to a buddy of his that I had spoke to about earlier and he jumped his rate to $250 per acre with annual increases of $50 per acre for the five years. It seemed like such a good deal to the guy when he wasnt sure I was serious, but when he knew I was searching elsewhere to he jumped it up big time. And he also wanted lump sum payments up front for the year too. Needless to say I walked on that option.

dyates":281lx1d3 said:
In central Kentucky, 20-40 per acre cash rent for pasture or hay ground. Some guys around here have arrangements worked out where landowner gets 50% of calf sales. I don't see how they stay in business. Good luck finding available land. You won't find it on Google. I'm looking myself and I know quite a few people around here. It's getting very competitive. You almost have to be in the right circles and know just the right people.

Oops, one to many zeros in the equation. Ten thousands would be a little high wouldn't it? I guess I should take some of my farm operating money and invest in a typing class, LOL.

Latest posts