how much milk powder?

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith

Reaction score
Just wondered for those of you that rear calves on milk replacer, how much it takes to raise one calf.

I got some bags yesterday to mix with the whole milk I'm giving my younger calves, since I'm rearing a few more heifers than my contract permits.
To say the instructions on the back of the bag are confusing would be an understatement! I worked it out to be 150g milk powder per litre of water (15%) and that one bag will feed one calf that also has access to starter meal, for around 30 days. So it will take two bags (90lb) of milk replacer for every calf.

I'm pretty sure the standard practise used to be one bag/calf and that the bags used to be bigger.
I asked what whole milk powder was available and the choice was ancalf or 'brown bag'. Took Ancalf, it used to be around $80 - 90/bag when I was buying and rearing calves but I suppose it's gone up some.

From what I recall it is about 10% of the body weight per day. So if the calf weighs 50 kg (about 100 lbs), you should feed 5 kg (10 lbs) or about 5 liters throughout the day (in two or three meals).

Latest posts