How much Magnesium?

Help Support CattleToday:

artesianspringsfarm

Reaction score
Texasbred or anyone else,

What constitutes a hi-mag mineral? I've never had any major bloat issues. Some rumbling and puffed out sides for a couple days in spring but nothing too scary but I just planted some oats and turnips for some late fall forage and I'm thinking better safe than sorry on this stuff. If it comes like I hope it should really be rocket fuel so I want to try to make sure the cows are ready. What should I be looking for in a hi-mag mineral but honestly have never seen anyone explain how much is enough? Thanks for your thoughts.

Kents hi mag mineral is 12% MG while their ADE is only 0.5%.
Like others have pointed out, hi mag is for lush new growth and tetany or late fall low Mg fodder like stalks etc.

callmefence":3fcxs2cy said:
wbvs58":3fcxs2cy said:
As far as I'm aware the use of magnesium is to help combat Grass Tetany.

Ken

X2

Safeguard makes a bloat guard block that is very effective. But it's not magnesium that's for preventing tetany

Fence, if its not magnesium in the bloat block, then what is it? Some sort of Polaxalene? I guess I knew that Tetany and bloat are different but somehow in my head also have them related. Neither have been a big concern of mine since we feed lots of hay for most of the year and then our spring starts with a pretty safe orchardgrass pasture that gets them acclimated without any danger. I know you do lots of annuals. I'm correct to take some precaution with foraging oats and turnips, right? I plan to strip graze it and have free choice hay along with it. Thanks.

Not fence, but grazing oats and turnips can certainly cause bloat. Plenty of coarse hay a few days before you turn them out to graze. Keep hay available while grazing aND acclimate to turnips and oats slowly- let graze an hour, then move them off for the first few days. Keep a bloat block out (poloxalene) is a good idea too.

bball":nrjozoq9 said:
Not fence, but grazing oats and turnips can certainly cause bloat. Plenty of coarse hay a few days before you turn them out to graze. Keep hay available while grazing aND acclimate to turnips and oats slowly- let graze an hour, then move them off for the first few days. Keep a bloat block out (poloxalene) is a good idea too.

Really do appreciate your insight bball. You anywhere close to Indianapolis by chance? I'm there quite often.

artesianspringsfarm":he533ybp said:
callmefence":he533ybp said:
wbvs58":he533ybp said:
As far as I'm aware the use of magnesium is to help combat Grass Tetany.

Ken

X2

Safeguard makes a bloat guard block that is very effective. But it's not magnesium that's for preventing tetany

Fence, if its not magnesium in the bloat block, then what is it? Some sort of Polaxalene? I guess I knew that Tetany and bloat are different but somehow in my head also have them related. Neither have been a big concern of mine since we feed lots of hay for most of the year and then our spring starts with a pretty safe orchardgrass pasture that gets them acclimated without any danger. I know you do lots of annuals. I'm correct to take some precaution with foraging oats and turnips, right? I plan to strip graze it and have free choice hay along with it. Thanks.

We graze oats every year. Here's what we use.
Also as bball said ,before I open the gate to the oats. I set out some hay that they will eat really well. When they are all laying around chewing their cud then let em in. I keep the hay accessible to them will their on the oats , but after about I week I quit feeding the blocks.
I also feed a himag mineral. Never any problems using this method.

artesianspringsfarm":wr8cx6rh said:
Really do appreciate your insight bball. You anywhere close to Indianapolis by chance? I'm there quite often.

Bout an hour and a half north of Indy. My 2 oldest attend college there, so I get there fairly often. Where are you located in upstate NY. I lived in the southern tier for 6 years. Beautiful country.

Latest posts