How much longer?

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
Heifer is getting close to calving. This afternoon she was walking a little and laid down for about 30 sec then back up and kicking at her side . Then went to hay and started eating like nothing was going on.

21 hours 3 minutes 57 seconds.

If I could really answer that from a description on a forum I'd charge 5 bucks a piece and make millions. :lol:

There is no telling for sure. If you think she is getting close keep a close eye on her. Check her every 4-5 hours. Unless you know exactly when she was bred you just can't tell for sure. Good luck and keep us posted.

arkie 74":3h21y5gu said:
Heifer is getting close to calving. This afternoon she was walking a little and laid down for about 30 sec then back up and kicking at her side . Then went to hay and started eating like nothing was going on.

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass here, but you'll know she is calving when you see feet sticking out of her backside. Seriously, she will calve when she is darned good and ready, and not one minute before. Patience is the key in this situation.

msscamp":31zxx4z4 said:
arkie 74":31zxx4z4 said:

I don't mean to sound like a smart-ass here, but you'll know she is calving when you see feet sticking out of her backside. Seriously, she will calve when she is darned good and ready, and not one minute before. Patience is the key in this situation.

. . . . and sometimes not even then!

Now since it is bone chilling cold, snow is blowing, and more is on the way, did she have her calf yet?

I checked late last night and first thing this morning and still nothing. I am getting anxious. This will be the first calves since I bought my own cattle.

Make sure she can be somewhere where she (and the newborn calf) can be dry and out of the wind. Maybe put her in a barn or shed with good bedding, if available. This is because of the weathear we are currently having.

I put her and one other heifer in the barn last night. The bedding I isn't the greatest. I've looked for someone who has some small straw bales but they are hard to find.

arkie 74":1w869fhg said:
I put her and one other heifer in the barn last night. The bedding I isn't the greatest. I've looked for someone who has some small straw bales but they are hard to find.

Keep watching the "Rural Messenger" or check the bulletin board at Tractor Supply, back by their restrooms. I haven't noticed much listed in the Hutch News, but I rarely check there. I'd let you have some of straw, but I'm down to 9 square bales right now myself. The last I bought was 2 years ago from a guy in Yoder that had an ad in the Rural Messenger.

Might as at Lowes. The one here has a big enclosed semi trailer sitting next to the store and the other day was the first time I saw it open. A guy bought a truck load of straw bales and the thing was 3/4 full

word to the wise just wait and dont lose any sleep over it.......i started a similar threat last year and i can tell you it didnt help any but just burn my time on the computer.....but no one could expect it to help.....it just gave me something to do.... she will have it when shes ready....

i am going through the same thing right now. shes up shes down tail flicking licking her side and been able to get milk for nearly a week. back end is nearly on the floor she is so loose. been like that for nearly a week. check her every few hours and around midnight. sat out till 2.30 am the other night convinced she would have it. what a fool. did the same last year but still not learnt. one thing i have learnt is they dont do it when i watch. good luck

I just finished the same saga with a heifer my dad bought last fall. She was loose for 3 weeks, but i only paid attention to her bag. The last 2 days her bag became more firm and her teats were more filled out. Last night I put her in the barn after my dad said that her was hanging back by herself yesterday afternoon. I checked her this morning @ 5am and found a healthy bull calf bombing around the pen. A nice way to start the season.

Well yesterday was along day. It started at 5 when I noticed the heifer trying to push, but nothing was showing. Then by 6:30 nothing so I called the vet. When he got there he said her uterus was twisted, and that she had been trying for longer than I thought. She had dried out inside and he recommended a c section and recommended taking her to the clinic since it was so cold. C section went good live calf everything complete at 12:00. she was licking her and the vet recommend living them inside there and picking them up today. When I got there the calf was dead. So all that for that end results. Sucks!

well that just sucks.....i forgot to mention in my previous post that after waiting and waiting and waiting she had the calf and it drowned so bought her a bottle baby and she took it with no hesitation......it sucks but if you have them youll lose them......hope you have a good calving with any others you might have

Latest posts