how much is to much.

Help Support CattleToday:

Unsolicited advice:
Consult with your Dad for his opinion on the land value and fencing costs ect before making an offer.
Not saying you have to do what he says... but seems he would be a good sounding board and resource to use.[/quote]

Thank you. I have consulted with him and my uncle who has land right next it a lot. My biggest issue is that it is 2:30 hours away. Oh, and making sure my wife is okay with it. :lol:

callmefence":2jti2akk said:
A pasture that joins you comes up for sale.
It's way good land for your area. Even has a established coastal , Kline Hayfield. It would greatly increase your carrying capacity. You plan on living on your place for your life. And you just really be nice WANT IT.

Sellers gave in a little bit, but knows he's got you by the shorts. At what % over appraisal do you become a fool.

If it joins the home place, and you think your heirs will enjoy the use of it, instead of fight over it, then just go ahead and buy it. A man takes nothing with him, and leaves behind little. Leave them something they can use.

Bigfoot":3ta5zshh said:
callmefence":3ta5zshh said:
A pasture that joins you comes up for sale.
It's way good land for your area. Even has a established coastal , Kline Hayfield. It would greatly increase your carrying capacity. You plan on living on your place for your life. And you just really be nice WANT IT.

Sellers gave in a little bit, but knows he's got you by the shorts. At what % over appraisal do you become a fool.

If it joins the home place, and you think your heirs will enjoy the use of it, instead of fight over it, then just go ahead and buy it. A man takes nothing with him, and leaves behind little. Leave them something they can use.

Be sure and divide it up before you kick the bucket so not to have an incident like this.
https://www.google.com/amp/www.plantcit ... ured%3Famp

I know a family that the dad passed away and left everything to his wife.
They had 6 kids. All but 2 had moved away.
When mom passed she had willed everything to the 2 that lived locally and the other 4 got nothing.
It was a fairly large estate

Cross-7":31sz9ved said:
I was thinking in terms of my own situation.

Say youre paying cash money and not financing.
What would your ROI vs what you're getting on that cash now ?

We actually low-balled on 160 acres but the deal was cash, close as soon as they want. They accepted, closed on the property the next week and 2 months later we were approached by an oil company wanting to lease the land. The first well they drilled paid for the property. I'd say that was a pretty good ROI :)

TCRanch":nlsrzo6u said:
Cross-7":nlsrzo6u said:
I was thinking in terms of my own situation.

Say youre paying cash money and not financing.
What would your ROI vs what you're getting on that cash now ?

We actually low-balled on 160 acres but the deal was cash, close as soon as they want. They accepted, closed on the property the next week and 2 months later we were approached by an oil company wanting to lease the land. The first well they drilled paid for the property. I'd say that was a pretty good ROI :)

I don't have that luck.
I had a place in west Texas and they found oil on my neighbor.
They paid me a little to jitterbug and didn't find anything but found more on my neighbor

If you want it and have the money to buy it then do. If not and someone else buys it u might regret it for the rest of your life.

I own a nice 83 acre place. The place next to me (117 acres) that I really wanted came available due to the death of the owner. Her son put it up for sale for what I thought was $700/acre over market. I made an offer on it and he shot it down. Waited a while and raised my offer to full market plus maybe $200 per acre. He shot it down again.
Six months later he sold it to a developer who split it up in to 10 to 15 acre spots and sold it to trashy people of all races with no credit. Now my place has devalued. Not sure what the lesson here is but it is the way of the world.

Rafter S":1hq4kq0f said:
You're the only one that knows what it's worth to you and how bad you want it, but look at it like this. If you decide to pass on it, then for the rest of your life you may regret it. Of course you can regret either decision, but how likely are you to spend the rest of your life regretting it if you do buy it?

Rafter hit home with me.
I felt 3200 was about right, asking was 4200
We've meet at 3900.00. , Ernest money is in and contract signed.....
M5 I want you to know I'm getting 2 5 rail gates. 3 box blinds, 2 tripod feeders and some sorta rainwater collection contraption...FREE

callmefence":1pn3yiix said:
Rafter S":1pn3yiix said:
You're the only one that knows what it's worth to you and how bad you want it, but look at it like this. If you decide to pass on it, then for the rest of your life you may regret it. Of course you can regret either decision, but how likely are you to spend the rest of your life regretting it if you do buy it?

Rafter hit home with me.
M5 I want you to know I'm getting 2 5 rail gates. 3 box blinds, 2 tripod feeders and some sorta rainwater collection contraption...FREE

well that's something LOL

Land, or anything else, regardless of appraised value- is only ever worth what any individual is willing to pay for it.

callmefence":28lvjy3b said:
Rafter S":28lvjy3b said:

Rafter hit home with me.

Nahhh..taint FREE......that's costing you $700 an acre....... :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Congrats on your purchase.

Glad you got it fence. I'm in a very similar situation. A 150 acre tract of land that sits exactly between my family land and my leased land is for sale. This property was for sale about 15 years ago and my dad made offers but dint get it done. He has always regretted not buying it. The guy who bought it back then has done nothing with it and has let it grow up in brush (half of it was cultivated wheat field the other half range/pasture). A county road splits it in half, there is one stock tank "pond" and the two halves that the county road divide are not fenced along the road. So now the owner has decided to sell and he called me with first opportunity which i appreciate but we are about 1000 an acre apart!! He wants recreational "hunting" property price and i want to pay realistic "ranch land" price. It would cost me about 30000 just to get the brush cleared and then fencing and getting the grain field back in shape. I cant make it pay for itself at his price so i cant do it, I'm not going to let my emotions influence my rational decision making. Even though i will be sick if some turd buys it and moves in there.

My dad has told me over and over again how much he wishes I could find a way to buy that land and that if he could he would but that he's retired and not looking to take on any debt. I'm in a situation where I have a family to take care of and other debts to pay off first and if it wont cash flow itself then it just wont work right now. It would add to our place very nicely and I would be very proud to have it but it just wont work at the asking price.

Latest posts