• < 4000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • < 5000

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chris H

Reaction score
How much does a good bull cost in your area?

My definition of a good bull is one that should improve your herd, increase weaning & yearling weights, improve carcass, sire daughters that will improve the herd, or at least you estimate he'll meet at least 75% of those goals.

If you're only looking for a terminal sire, the above goals minus concern about daughters.

Fancy show bulls do not fit in this poll, so leave out all the high priced show bulls.

Chris H":2q7kpxej said:
How much does a good bull cost in your area?

My definition of a good bull is one that should improve your herd, increase weaning & yearling weights, improve carcass, sire daughters that will improve the herd, or at least you estimate he'll meet at least 75% of those goals.

If you're only looking for a terminal sire, the above goals minus concern about daughters.

Fancy show bulls do not fit in this poll, so leave out all the high priced show bulls.

In my area 3 to 4k will get you a great bull. Some really good ones can be had cheaper. Right now there seems to be an oversupply so the prices are down somewhat.

We can usually find what we are looking for in the $2500 -slighthy over $3000 range. Mind you we always seem to be picking out the ones that go for $5000+. Guess that means we have good taste ;-) ?

Around here, Angus and black Simmie bulls are in high demand, so the prices for those bulls are a little inflated. All in all, I'd say 2000-3000 would get you a good bull and higher than that would get you a really good or great bull.

Can get an acceptable bull around here for $1500. There are some more expensive but whether or not they are any better is up for debate. Some are and some aren't.

i can get good 2 year olds for 1500-2000 and good (used obviously) bulls older than that for 1000.

Beefy & Caustic, I'm glad you guys mentioned older bulls for a 1000. Older bulls can be a real bargain, or end up being real expensive if a person isn't careful. We've never bought an older bull but I've seen several that were real bargains at 1200 on the farm and you could see several generations of their calves.

I am one of those people who answered the question: "How much would you pay for a bull" with "less than $5000"; because I think that for a herd that has been improved for a decade+++ in a specific breed that it becomes more and more difficult to buy a bull who will improve their phenotype without inbreeding, adding/or losing too much frame, or losing perfromance, and still have a pedigree which is marketable to their seedstock clients and for somebody who is linebreeding a specific line within a breed it gets even more difficult. For the typical commercial herd though, good bulls can still be had for $1500 around here though name breeders like Debter are getting much more than that at their sale.

Obviously the answer to the question is "As much as I have too to get what I want/need and as little as I can get away with without sacrificing phenotype or performance" and that number is going to vary with the size, genetics, and purpose of each herd.

It is a tricky question. It could be asked like this.........

To purchase a bull that will suit your needs is there a $ value that you use as a guideline? What is that $ value?

At what point does the value of an animal affect you purchasing him or not?

It's neat to watch people as dollar value depicts the money they spend and for some it doesn't as they will bid for quite a ways and finally end up thinking the other guy won't quit.

There is some sort of algorithm based on what you're calves sell for. It's somrthing like 3 times the calfs selling price. Like I said, something like 3 times, don;t recall exactly. I'm surprised no one has posted it yet since I've seen it on these boards in the past.

dun

dun your right.they say you should pay for a bull with what 3 steers would bring.so that would be tween $1800 an an $2150.

I realized after I made the poll that there are really 2 questions, and I didn't make it clear what I was asking.
'How much are bulls selling for in your area to get a good bull'; and the second question is 'How much are you willing to spend for a good bull'.

Still, the prices picked show people think there are a lot of good bulls to be had for under 2000. I was surprised someone picked under 1000. I wouldn't think a 1000 dollar bull would be more than a cow freshner.

dun":13yxvslg said:
There is some sort of algorithm based on what you're calves sell for. It's somrthing like 3 times the calfs selling price. Like I said, something like 3 times, don;t recall exactly. I'm surprised no one has posted it yet since I've seen it on these boards in the past.

dun
I was always told that you could pay what 3 good bred cows are your 5 best steer calves would bring.

It'll depend on what I'm buying the bull for. If its a good bull to run on my commercial herd, I'll spend around 3 grand, maybe a little more for an exceptional animal. If its for my purebred herd, I'll spend as much as I need to to get an animal that fits with my herd (ie: improves the weak spots). Having said that, I currently wouldn't spend more than 7 or 8 thousand for a good PB Shorthorn bull.

Rod

My last bull cost me @ $3000. I had an oldtimer tell me just to buy the bull you think you need that will improve your herd the most and don't worry what it costs. He usually spends around $7000- $8000 on his bulls and he seems to do pretty well.

Latest posts