How many run cows for a living?

Help Support CattleToday:

probably so in certain demographics here in the U.S and most certainly in other parts of the world, but where neighbors help neighbors, where people work for a better way of life, where people work and build things to make a better world instead of bombs to kill innocent people and use toilet paper.
i would say most don't eat a goat.

cross_7":1om0uhwr said:
probably so in certain demographics here in the U.S and most certainly in other parts of the world, but where neighbors help neighbors, where people work for a better way of life, where people work and build things to make a better world instead of bombs to kill innocent people and use toilet paper.

Where do you live? Seams to me there is way to many nutters that eat pork, beef, or no meat at all that run around blowing things up, or being a disruptive anti social nutters.

1wlimo":3pwd48fq said:
cross_7":3pwd48fq said:

Where do you live? Seams to me there is way to many nutters that eat pork, beef, or no meat at all that run around blowing things up, or being a disruptive anti social nutters.

well it wasn't my intention to hijack this and start in on terrorist, but here we are.

back to the topic
some of my concerns would be the high and rising cost of health insurance and medical care and having to fund 100% of my retirement plan, but people do it everyday.

Health care isn't a problem, my wife's job provides great insurance. Retirement is something to think about. I've been putting back some every month for the last few years. Thanks for all the advice.

circlew":m0tlla8g said:
So everyone agrees that a person would need other forms of income. Talked to a guy that wants me to be an order buyer for goats. He is in Hattiesburg, MS and our prices are close to a 100 dollars less than his. He can't come and buy every weekend or even once a month. So I'm talking with him on buying. He's suppose to let me know some more before Saturday.

The reason goats are expensive here is that "they" have a place called new medinah(sp). They
have a school, houses, mosque, and once a year they have a big shindig with muslims coming from all
over. They have a USDA inspected slaughter house that slaughters under muslim laws. Around her
you cant drive a mile without seeing a farm with 15 to 20 momma goats. Almost to the point
you see more goats than cows. Did not mean to steal the thread.

Greg

Greg that's interesting. The guy I'm buying for has a deal with a slaughter house but didn't say which one.

if your a fulltime cattlemen with no outside job.then its up to you to pay in social securty every year.

circlew
You can do what you are proposing. You may have to read the restaurant menu from right to left for the start up years but it is achievable. Once you get the input expenses under control/eliminated, the returns are greater than most folks realize.

agmantoo":3awlv04b said:
circlew
You can do what you are proposing. You may have to read the restaurant menu from right to left for the start up years but it is achievable. Once you get the input expenses under control/eliminated, the returns are greater than most folks realize.

This is true. Also, many goat eaters read from right to left... :banana: :banana: :banana:

If the land is paid for, if the house on that land is energy efficient and is paid for, if the equipment is in good shape and paid for, if the cows are paid for and you have no credit card debt and don't really like vacations beyond Farm Shows, I'm thinking I could make a simple yet rich in quality living. But then again, I'm not quite there yet.

Grazing cows is not a full time job, you can easily tend to them in the evenings after work. Get you a good town job and put the money made in cattle back in to cattle. Each year you will see a profit and you can grow your operation. Then you can buy more cows and rent more land. One day you will wake up and find yourself worth a lot of money.

Gordon Hazard

I would recommend anyone starting out in the cattle business to read his book. "Thoughts and Advice of an Old Cattleman"

the first 15 yrs youll be investing everything you make back into optimizing yer herd and facilities...200 cows means 400 animals plus15 bulls? you can run that for even 6 mos on that amt of land?

There are no sure fire professions in life except for maybe those in the medical area.

Businesses of any kind can bury you if managed poorly. Take a look at the restaurant biz, it's brutal for most,

If you were running 150 registered Angus mommas, I seriously doubt you would have trouble paying the bills. 150 scrubs is a different story all together.

Hook2.0 said:
dieselbeef said:
the first 15 yrs youll be investing everything you make back into optimizing yer herd and facilities...200 cows means 400 animals plus15 bulls? you can run that for even 6 mos on that amt of land?

What are you running now, 20? :cowboy:
Good to see youre still around!

yup..20.i been thru some schidt racing quads...broke my collarbone..scapula..6 ribs..4 of em twice..collapsed lung twice...chest tube...been a bad yr..but I didn't die...yup..20 cows and the bull...all I can swing..hope alls well brother...things r going yer way

If you hustle, you can make it, custom bale, cut wood, other part time endeavours. Put it on paper ingoing and outgoing, and you'll know what you have to do. Get handy with a wrench and a pair of pliers. Above all, make sure your wife keeps her job! Seriously,cut your expenses any way you can, grow a garden, can, cut that grocery bill. Cut all unnecessary trips to town.

snoopdog said:
If you hustle, you can make it, custom bale, cut wood, other part time endeavours. Put it on paper ingoing and outgoing, and you'll know what you have to do. Get handy with a wrench and a pair of pliers. Above all, make sure your wife keeps her job! Seriously,cut your expenses any way you can, grow a garden, can, cut that grocery bill. Cut all unnecessary trips to town.

Sounds more like surviving than living to me.

************* said:
If you were running 150 registered Angus mommas, I seriously doubt you would have trouble paying the bills. 150 scrubs is a different story all together.

So if not registered Angus then they're scrubs?? You are quite a piece of work.

Latest posts