How many round bales per hour can you make ?

Help Support CattleToday:

4 x5 bales twine wrapped putting the max number of wraps on I can usually do 15 or so an hour sometimes more, my bigger field I can do better as I don't spend as much time turning with the longer windrows. This is in average first cutting. Baling with a NH 450 utility baler. I usually run about 4 mph as most of my ground is a little rough and I try to be easy on the equipment and me.

So many bales per hour, big windrows, ground speed.........

How many tons per day? Last year we made 2300 tons in 28 days. 4.5 person crew. Our ground is rough, 3.5 to 5.5 mph is as fast as we can go. Bales average 1700 lbs

cowrancher75 said:
Silver said:
Using net wrap I've been under a bale a minute in good conditions (5x6 bales), but its hard to keep that average up. And I quit using wrap. I'm having a good day if I can average 30 per hour.
I don't slow down to start the core, as soon as the gate is latched it's straight to full baling speed, which is whatever I can sit in the tractor comfortably.

what baler are you runnin

Vermeer 605N and a JD 566. The Vermeer is a little quicker when baling side by side, but not much. But it should be, it's a lot newer.

With my Kuhn 4x5 baler net wrap I "can" bale one a minute under good conditions. If I can average 20+ per hour it is a decent day. I usually can travel 6 mph unless the ground is rough and around here it usually is.

I have never even thought about keeping track of bales per hour. I know I have baled close to 400 5x6 bales in a long day. I get after it, go from stopped to 9mph in about a second. I agree with the above comment. If you could speed up bale ejection, things would really be faster. I really want one of the JD bale accumulators, but can't make myself spend the money.

I've told several people this. If I had to go back to twine, I would sell the cows. I love netwrap.

Silver said:
If I had to peel net wrap off bales all winter I'd give up ranching.

Ice and net wrap don't mix. I dealt with it for the first time this past winter on some straw bales and that convinced me I would never buy a net wrap baler. Only way for it to work would be to have them all under cover and that ain't gonna happen.

I never have much trouble with net wrap and the snow and ice. If they are real froze set them on the flat side in a sunny spot and even at -30 they will thaw out. Try to keep most of my hay inside or under tarp but that doesnt always happen. I will gladly deal with netwrap in the winter when I dont have much going on compared to waiting for twine when I have hay to make before the rain.

Aaron said:
Silver said:

Ice and net wrap don't mix. I dealt with it for the first time this past winter on some straw bales and that convinced me I would never buy a net wrap baler. Only way for it to work would be to have them all under cover and that ain't gonna happen.

How do you guys store the bales outside?

True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:
Silver said:

We place them in single rows.

Silver said:
True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:

We place them in single rows.

I've always had problems with string tied bales getting soaked with water and 1/2 spoiling. I have a wrapper that covers the outside but leaves the ends open and everything but the bottom 1/4 of the bale stays good. But unrolling them is almost out of of the question.

True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:
Silver said:

One on end, with one sitting normally on top. Try to pick a tighter, round shaped bale for bottom and a squatter for the top. Try to make the stack look like a mushroom. Very little feed loss this way. Top bales stay in exceptional shape and bottom bales just loose the bottom 4-6" over winter. Majority of people stack this way here, but we are high rainfall/snow area.

Aaron said:
True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:

One on end, with one sitting normally on top. Try to pick a tighter, round shaped bale for bottom and a squatter for the top. Try to make the stack look like a mushroom. Very little feed loss this way. Top bales stay in exceptional shape and bottom bales just loose the bottom 4-6" over winter. Majority of people stack this way here, but we are high rainfall/snow area.

Thanks Aaron I'll try some stacked that way.

Aaron said:
True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:

May try that way also....

Aaron said:
True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:

I think I'll try this. How close can you stack them together?

T & B farms said:
Aaron said:
True Grit Farms said:

I think I'll try this. How close can you stack them together?

Stack them in tight columns. I keep a lot of space between rows, like 30 feet, so snow can settle between and fire protection. It can be tricky starting a column and shoving tight without knocking top bale on end off.

True Grit Farms said:
Aaron said:
True Grit Farms said:

Thanks Aaron I'll try some stacked that way.

I'd suggest doing a small sample, a really small sample size! I tried that here about 15 years ago. With our rainfall here in Virginia along with other environmental factors, the bottom bale was basically mulch by winter time.

Latest posts