How Many ML of Tetanus

Help Support CattleToday:

Brutus13

Reaction score
I'm a little confused on the dosage of tetanus. I purchased "Tetanus Antitoxin, 1 Dose, Colorado Serum" from TSC label says its 15,000 units - 50ML. Is this just one dose? My plans are to start giving this shot when banding calf's, they are usually new born up to 400#'s.

Adult cattle not less than 1500 units, calves not less than 500 units.
If you have 15,ooo units in 50 ml then that is 300 units/ml so young calves would get 1.7 ml.
I would give a Tet Toxoid at the same time and again in 6 wks which can be in the form of a combined Clostridial vaccine.
Ken

Brutus13":3u2amdn2 said:
I'm a little confused on the dosage of tetanus. I purchased "Tetanus Antitoxin, 1 Dose, Colorado Serum" from TSC label says its 15,000 units - 50ML. Is this just one dose? My plans are to start giving this shot when banding calf's, they are usually new born up to 400#'s.

I use Colorado Serum and the proper dose is 5mL per shot for the tetanus antitoxin. The dose for tetanus toxoid is 1mL. If you read the outside of the blue box with the picture of the Rocky Mtns on it, you will notice they do the conversion for you.

5mL equals 1500 units. There are 10 doses in a 15,000 units bottle. So Ken is right that the bottle contains 50 Ml. But he is wrong on the dose per calf. Best way to purshase serum is in the 10 vial package because often tetanus is called administered on an individual animal basis, that allows you to keep the remainder uncompromised.

M-5":kebr61fq said:
Or just buy the individual dose vials . like I do

That was my point but maybe not clear. Colorado serum sells individual dose vials in a box of 10 doses. Each dose is in a secure vial. You can get the antitoxin or toxoid from CO Serum in the individual doses.

Just what Inyati said, the tsc here only has the single dose vials, I order the bigger one if I know im gonna do several bigger calves.The single dose works really well.

I know this thread is rather old but its helping me a great deal. I'm just confused on one matter. Do young calves get a smaller does than adults as wbvs58 suggested? It makes sense to me that they would receive a smaller dose than adults. If so, what would the correct dosage for a young calf be since inyati13 mentioned that the 1.7 mL was incorrect? I would like to give the TAT as an insurance when we castrate at 1-2 days old.

The dose I quoted was from an Australian manufacturer CSL from a MIMs book I had handy. I would not think that the protective dose would vary between countries as the units would be an international standard however there is no harm in giving the calves the higher dose of 1500 units.
Ken

wbvs58":1xzdpz5c said:
The dose I quoted was from an Australian manufacturer CSL from a MIMs book I had handy. I would not think that the protective dose would vary between countries as the units would be an international standard however there is no harm in giving the calves the higher dose of 1500 units.
Ken
Thank you! When I worked out the math and did the converting myself using your information of 500 units for calves, I also got 1.7 mL for calves. The units are the same on my package in the US. Anyway, thank you. Better safe than sorry.

We give 5mL of TAT at banding to each bull calf. Dosage comes from my vet. They also receive other shots and one includes the tetanus toxoid.

The original post asks about the proper dose of TAT when vaccine manufactured by Colorado Serum Company is being administered. I read the manufactory's detailed dosage instructions and the minimum dose they reference is 1,500 units. See the excerpt from the instructions below:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: Tetanus antitoxin confers immediate passive immunity lasting about 7 to 14 days. 1500 units administered subcutaneously or intramuscularly is the recommended dose for prevention. 5 ml equals 1500 units.

Large doses of Tetanus Antitoxin may provide a beneficial response in animals already infected with tetanus, but success of treatment is not assured. For treatment; administer 10,000 to 50,000 units to horses and cattle, 3,000 to 15,000 units to sheep and swine.

Animals that suffer slow healing puncture wounds or deep abrasions should be given a second dose of antitoxin in 7 days and additionally as considered necessary.

1,500 units is 5 mL. Instructions include no lessor dosage then 1,500 units. There is no discussion of reduced dosage for calves. I give the recommended dosage of 5 mL of TAT when I band and also a TT (1 mL) and follow that with another TT in 4 to 6 weeks. Sometimes, I immunize them with the Toxoid before banding or cutting. I always give TAT regardless of previous Toxoid vaccination. So does my vet.

inyati13":102ankc0 said:
The original post asks about the proper dose of TAT when vaccine manufactured by Colorado Serum Company is being administered. I read the manufactory's detailed dosage instructions and the minimum dose they reference is 1,500 units. See the excerpt from the instructions below:

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION: Tetanus antitoxin confers immediate passive immunity lasting about 7 to 14 days. 1500 units administered subcutaneously or intramuscularly is the recommended dose for prevention. 5 ml equals 1500 units.

Large doses of Tetanus Antitoxin may provide a beneficial response in animals already infected with tetanus, but success of treatment is not assured. For treatment; administer 10,000 to 50,000 units to horses and cattle, 3,000 to 15,000 units to sheep and swine.

Animals that suffer slow healing puncture wounds or deep abrasions should be given a second dose of antitoxin in 7 days and additionally as considered necessary.

1,500 units is 5 mL. Instructions include no lessor dosage then 1,500 units. There is no discussion of reduced dosage for calves. I give the recommended dosage of 5 mL of TAT when I band and also a TT (1 mL) and follow that with another TT in 4 to 6 weeks. Sometimes, I immunize them with the Toxoid before banding or cutting. I always give TAT regardless of previous Toxoid vaccination. So does my vet.

Yes, I picked up my TAT from our vet today who explained just as you did going over the instructions with us. 5mL it is. Our vet administers it as well.

Latest posts