HOW MANY HEADS CAN YOU GET 4 $25000

Help Support CattleToday:

ronay0

Reaction score
Im thinking about getting a loan from my TSP (401K) and buying cattle. How much can I get for $25000. I looked into CattleRange, THEY have some good offers. I would want Hereford, brangus, commercial cattle(?) :shock: , or whatever I can get. I mainly want to bred brahman, :( but for $25000, its not enough. Currently, I only have 3 brahman heifers, one just calved, and a brahman bull. My bro has about 20 heads. Also they must be from NM but prefer southern Arizona, they will be exported to Mexico. During the RFD auction, I noticed that NM was cheaper than other states, and what I need.
Any advice is always appreciated.
Thanks, and as Bob Ross used to say,
"Happy ranching"(painting). :) :heart: :) :heart:

Well I'm just a beginning cattle rancher, but a long time financial manager. So my advice to you would be don't take money out of your 401(k)!!

CJ

IMO, never borrow money to run a livestock or farming operation. If you don't have it on hand (or can get it for EXTREMELY low interest rates or low monthly payments...aka a government loan??), then don't risk your financial stability on an agricultural enterprise. Unlike the retailing or service industries (where you can expect to earn some money rather soon, the agricultural industry can take several years before you realize a break-even return).

Let your herd grow, pay its way, sell calves to pay for upkeep of others, retain one or more of heifer calves to increase your herd, etc.

Your herd will multiply by itself faster than you realize...

If you are real particular, you can get one head for that amount!

ronay0":1bdfj8pf said:
Im thinking about getting a loan from my TSP (401K) and buying cattle. How much can I get for $25000. I looked into CattleRange, THEY have some good offers. I would want Hereford, brangus, commercial cattle(?) :shock: , or whatever I can get. I mainly want to bred brahman, :( but for $25000, its not enough. Currently, I only have 3 brahman heifers, one just calved, and a brahman bull. My bro has about 20 heads. Also they must be from NM but prefer southern Arizona, they will be exported to Mexico. During the RFD auction, I noticed that NM was cheaper than other states, and what I need.
Any advice is always appreciated.
Thanks, and as Bob Ross used to say,
"Happy ranching"(painting). :) :heart: :) :heart:

Leave your money where it is - build slowly. Never throw assets away. More risk in cattle than in retirement savings.

Bez

la4angus":3seccze5 said:
Medic24":3seccze5 said:
In a nutshell, Bez has said it...so right! :cboy:
The question is "How many heads can you get 4 $25,000

Right - so my answer is - anywhere from one to fifty. More if you go lower class.

Need more info before giving a better answer.

So, keep your money at home.

Bez

I dont think that even that much money would get you enough stocker calves to turn a profitt. If you get registered cattle, you wont get too many with that amount.

I can sell you as many as you want 4 $25000 ea. Heck, I'll even throw in free delivery to either NM or Arizona, your choice, after the check clears. For a few bucks more, I might even get them to Mexico for ya, for ya bro if needed!

If you did get 25 grand I would not spend it all on cattle, I have figured out with meds alone that cattle can get real expensive real fast! But I would say that you could buy 10-15 quality cows and still have money for expenses. Good Luck, Kaneranch

A guy in Nebraska is selling 200 commercial Hereford heifers at $1000 apiece at:
http://herfnet.com/
click on "commercial females"
Assuming you can find somebody to haul them and he will sell a group that small. That is a decent price in this market. I am not affiliated with either Nebraska ranch, have never seen these heifers, I have never even been to Nebraska, and have never worked for the Hereford association. Buy at your own risk.

Is your job secure enough that you can pay back that 25,000.00 in time before you retire?

How much time before you do retire?

Are you a gambler?

If you got cut from your job and you've borrowed the 25,000.00, can you make it on what you have left? Remember, if you've borrowed that 25,000.00, and you get cut from your job, you have to pay that back first off before you get any money that would go into your retirement account.

Man, messing with the 401K is gambling at its best. Scares hell out of me.

Dick

kaneranch":36949upa said:
If you did get 25 grand I would not spend it all on cattle, I have figured out with meds alone that cattle can get real expensive real fast! But I would say that you could buy 10-15 quality cows and still have money for expenses. Good Luck, Kaneranch

Good advice.

I'd buy bred cows or three ways and try get some quick or immediate return, plus it would keep you from purchasing a bull right now.

As far as the 401k. If your investments are not paying high dividends and you can afford to make payments it is not that much risk, heck you are paying yourself back the interest anyway..and that might be more than you are earning in interest in what you invested!

One thing to remember... The money you use to repay a loan from a 401(k) comes from after tax dollars, that means that the 25,000$ you borrow gets taxed twice. Once when you repay and when you take it out....

I personally think it is a poor idea to borrow from a 401(k). I would be surprised if there is not a better loan program to suit your needs... either way best of luck!

imo... since you have to ask, it tells me that you probably should leave your money where it is, and as some of the others have alluded to already.,.. build slowly..

jt

Latest posts