How long should a c-section take?

Help Support CattleToday:

Livingfaith

Reaction score
Hi, I have a cow down after a c-section. (calf was backwards and upside down) I have a couple of questions, please help.

Can you tell if a calf is dead before a c-section?

How long should a c-section take? The vet came out I timed from the first cut it took 1 hour and 15 mins. is that the norm? The vet delived a dead calf, and did not try to get the cow up afterwards. The vet said they forgot the hotshot and because the cow seemed to sit up fast it'd get up on it's own. That was over a week ago.

That is my next question, how long can a cow stay down after a c-section? She trys to get up off and on by herself.

My husband seems to think she will not get up, and I'm wasting my time taken her water, feed, giving her penicillin every other day, and keeping the coyotes away from her (thankfully I can see her from my house). The vet say's just keep my efforts up one day I'll check on her to see she has gotten up.

Thanks for help

1 an 1hr an 15 mins is a good time for a C-section.so he didnt take to long to get the calf out an sew her back up.2 the should get up in 2 or 3hrs aftter the C-section.sounds like the calf layed on the cows hipp nerves an paralized her.you need to get some hipplifters an lift the cow.she wont be able to stand without help.

How long did the cow lay there in labor before the C-section was performed?

If it was a long period (several hours) the cow prolly won't get up.

You need to get her up - pronto. After a week of being down you may be too late though if you haven't at least rolled her from side to side. Because a cow is a big, heavy animal, their nerves and muscles can easily be damaged beyond repair if they are down for an extended period of time.

Thank you for responds. Moma cow does move from one side to the other side. She also will change directions she is facing. I have seen her get off the ground and just drop down. She gets up on one knee or the other and then push up with back legs. She usually sits with front legs under her and back legs out not under her. She has travled a ways away from where she first had the c-section. But not to the fence line yet.

If she has nerve damage she wouldn't be able to raise off the ground would she?

A old timer told me that moma cow could just be mending, and could take 2 to 3 months is this something any of ya'll have seen or heard of?

Some history on her she was in labor all night, the vet came out 3 hours from when we called. She is six years old and been calving without any problem. I didn't feel like calving issues should be a death sentence for her.

My husband and the vet agree on hip lifters, they dont like them. Because you can get a cow up with them but when you take them off the cow is to dependant on them. Or something like that.

Appreciate the help.

using the hipplifters helps the cow get up an stand.does not make her depend on them to get her up.if she can stand on her own lifting her.in time she will stat getting up without being lifted.

Gotta do something. Right now she's totally dependent on you. Put the hip huggers on her and raise her up. Let her down enough that she CAN put weight on her legs if she want so. At least it will keep her legs alive and give her a chance. Everyday she stays down her chances get slimmer.

I agree that she needs to be lifted. She needs to get some circulation through those legs and get things going in the right direction. By laying down all the time she is only going to go backwards. I would shoot her if the plan is to leave her lay.

Livingfaith":y28xs3dv said:
My husband and the vet agree on hip lifters, they dont like them. Because you can get a cow up with them but when you take them off the cow is to dependant on them. Or something like that.

Appreciate the help.

If you don't get that cow up so she has circulation in her legs, the "to use or not to use hiplifters" debate will be irrelevant. Once she gives you the "look," to quote CB, you'll be drawing an imaginary X from the left ear to right eye, right ear to left eye, and putting a bullet right in the center.

If it was our cow, we would have had the lifts on her once we saw she was not on her feet the first day. However, you're not going to change your husband's or your vets opinion in time for this cow. So, I would recommend continuing what you are doing.

You've said she's moving side to side and rising on her own part way. If she is still eating and drinking, and moving enough to get out of her own urine and manure, I think she'll get up on her own. Make sure she gets plenty of water, but put the feed far enough away that she has to move to get it. Keep moving it a bit farther each time.

Her will to live will give you the best idea on whether she'll continue to get better at this point. If she gives up, just shoot her then. But it doesn't sound like she's given up yet. We've never had a cow survive if she went past a couple days of needing help. However, my brother had one that he took care of for 3 weeks, just like you are doing since he didn't have hip lifts either, and one morning he went out and she was standing. That's probably not very common, but I think that will to live is important.

Thanks so much Chris H.

She (cow) is doing well.

I guess there isn't a way to tell if a calf is dead before doing a c-section. And my other question of time it thakes for a c-section is a hour and 15 mins is norm.

How can you tell a calf dead prior to a c section: GLOVE UP AND FEEL AROUND INSIDE HER. At that point you are going to know if you need help or not by the size of the feet. Pinch the feet and if it pulls back...alive!
Our rule of thumb,
Heifers, no progress after 1.5 hour clean her backside, glove up and go in. If all is well a bit longer. If not, get help or assist yourselg
cows, no progress after about an hour again glove up and check if all is well.

We have had 3 c section cows in 12 years. Both were able to breed back on time.
One had a problem, twisted uterus, we checked after an hour. First time for this so we did not realize what was happening, just figured she had the braxton hics. After 18 hours the vet came out and c sectioned her. The vet was surprised the calf lived, doped up the cow on antibiotics to prevent the cow from going septic, as well as the calf. Both made it and the cow bred back on time.

Get the cow lifted pronto. Once she is up and stable, reduce the tension on the lift. This might take a few tries.

Keren":1qsnirf4 said:
We have had several cows have C-sections, the next year they breed back and calve naturally with no problems.

Same here. Well actually we have only had 1 c-section in the last 10 years. She was a 3 year old when we did it, and then she had 6 more calves before she finally came up dry. So don't give up on them just because they had a C-section. The biggest thing to remember though is that the problem that caused the first C-section could very well cause her to have difficulties later on.

This is my first year calving and I just had to have a c section. Glad to know the vet was quick and did a great job sewing her up. The calf was normal from the head to the ribs, then everything was inside out after that (intestines, organs, ect.) and the back legs came over top. Just as soon as I think nothing else can happen, it does.

Hi all, Happy Easter, I just wanted to let ya'll know the cow got up!!!

It took her four weeks but she did it.

P.S. Without hip lifters, or hot shot.

Thanks, Livingfaith, God Bless

Congrats! I didn't see this post until today - sorry to be so late to tell you I had one down for three weeks and she got up on her own. heifer we had to pull the calf on. It was dead but she made it.

Thanks for the update. Sometimes it works out, and I had a feeling this was one of those times.

I wouldn't take a chance on keeping her though. Get her healed up and ship her.