How long does it take to clean milker?

Help Support CattleToday:

regolith":3mv2j6fb said:
Each teat individually is finished milking when you can no longer pull a strong squirt of milk - little dribbles don't count, leave 'em in for next time.
You're trying for too long... get used to what milk letdown feels like as you're milking her, it's the natural hormonal action and may take a couple of minutes to kick-in after you start handling her udder. While the hormone is in effect the teat should fill and draw easily; it doesn't last much more than twenty minutes and to save yourself and her stress you probably shouldn't be sitting with her for longer than ten minutes at a time.

So do you recommend I do multiple times of day for 10-20 minutes? I will say tguabua both the cow's and my first dance with human milking.

VC Rancher":222e7htp said:
So do you recommend I do multiple times of day for 10-20 minutes? I will say tguabua both the cow's and my first dance with human milking.
Regolith is right. The cow will start producing hormones to let milk down about 90-120 seconds after stimulation starts. It varies from cow to cow but the hormones start to wear off after several minutes. I think it would be better to try more often with shorter intervals and see how that goes.

I bought a Surge milking machine used for $450, hubby reminded me of that, the milk cows I had before I never bothered with the machine because their teat length was long to handle. But my new milk cow's teat length is too small. Back ones are 2 fingers and the front are 3 fingers.

It took me about 20 minutes to clean and steralize the can and I believe the others called it the claw.
We only had it one her for about 5-8 minutes and got just under 2 gallons. Took me about 10 minutes to clean the claw again, but it sure beats hand milking for 20-30 minutes. Yup I was milking with one hand holding the bucket with the other hand too. Never got the hang of it.

feed does matter. With my last cow, Chocolate, I got a special feed for dairy cattle that had barley, corn, mollasses and some other grains in it. When feeding that I would get 2.5 gallons on a single milking.

I guess I'm not understanding why you're wanting to wean the calf and keep her milking. Do you want the milk or are you wanting to keep the cow lactating so you can put another calf on her when you're ready? If you don't want the milk and you don't need to keep her lactating, I'd dry her up. The easiest way to do it is to go cold turkey, but put the cow on low-value type feed (like cane or grass hay) to cut her natural milk production as much as possible. If you need to keep her lactating but don't want the milk, I think I'd just keep the calf on her. That big calf'll pull down a lot of milk and keep your cow in full production until you've got another calf ready. If you are just wanting the milk, the machine may work but dairy cows need to be trained to let their milk down to the machine. They also need to be trained to let their milk down to the guy milking. If your cow's only had calves suck her, this could be the reason that you aren't getting much milk when you try to milk by hand. Have you tried milking her on one side when the calf's sucking the other? You might see different results with this approach.

Latest posts